startup sound on Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macdemon, Sep 7, 2011.

1. macdemon macrumors newbie

is there anyway the sound on startup can be stopped? :rolleyes:

2. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    no.

but then why would you want to? :confused:

3. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

If you mute the volume on your Mac before you shutdown or restart, the startup chime won't play.

4. kettybear macrumors member

Well I know why you would, you're in a boring lecture, you want to use your computer but you don't want to disrupt the lecture and let everyone know you're turning on your mac. I wish the volume buttons work before the OS is loaded.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Or, just have it sleeping instead of shutdown.

If you start the day with a full charge, having the machine sleep between classes doesn't have much of an affect on battery life.

Besides saving power, there really isn't much reason to shutdown. I rarely restart - usually only for updates or to boot off a different partition (for a variety of reasons).

6. adammade macrumors newbie

7. karlth macrumors regular

Coming from Windows I simply couldn't believe that the sound was hardcoded into the operating system. :eek:

I asked about this a few weeks back and these were the solutions proposed:

Plug in a headphone.
    Mute all sounds before turning off the computer. :rolleyes:
    Don't use the computer. (Seriously this was proposed).

Thankfully though there was one helpful suggestion and that was to hold down the Mute button when you start the computer. If you remember to do that then the startup sound will not play.

8. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I have a similar app but can't for the life of me remeber what its called and i'm not at my Mac at the mo.

To be honest though, I can't remember the last time I shut down my mac :confused:

9. macdemon thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you
    just the thing i needed
    cheers!!!!!!:D

10. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    best thing to do in a boring lecture is sleep - if you get busted, just say Amen when awoken and everyone will think you've been praying ;)

but - why would one have one's portable turned off during the day anyways given the 7 hour + battery yield?
    the most you'd lose over a full day of sleep is 2%.

as mentioned above, just mute by decreasing the volume to zero then the chime won't be audible.
    as for 'annoying' - the Mac startup chime is 'iconic' - it's been used in every iteration of Mac OS since the 2 steve's garage days.
    live with it or zero your volume.

just a thought.

(man, I hate that word 'iconic'; it's like 'historic' - over utilised, unimaginative and meaningless)

11. macdemon thread starter macrumors newbie

psst.dmg
    works like a charm to stop the startup sound on MBA 13
    :)

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Why bother with third party solutions, just close the lid and your Air will sleep. Shutting down is really a Windows habit something Apple left behind years ago. There are very few reasons to shutdown a Mac ;)

13. karlth macrumors regular

There are around 1 trillion reasons (approx) why you might want to turn off your laptop. Apart from the simple fact that you might want sounds just not that sound.

Then when you turn the laptop on again you certainly don't want to worry about it blasting the iconic startup sound for everyone to hear.