Static IP with airport/cable modem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jmarsiglio, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Jmarsiglio macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, this is my first time on this forum; I'd like to say hi to everyone!
    I've scanned Google for my problem but when I tried setting an IP address, I got no connection, I don't know if it because I dont have a LAN or what... I need to set a static IP address so I can port map on my airport to open port 6112 for hosting wc3 games. I have a motorola surfboard cable modem and an airport extreme base station. I connect using DHCP via ethernet. Any feedback would be wonderful! :D

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Since you connect to your ISP using DHCP, you don't (by definition) have a static IP. Your ISP needs to assign you a static IP (they might charge extra for this).

3. Jmarsiglio thread starter macrumors newbie

So, your saying I should call up my ISP and ask for a static IP? That's all?

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I think the OP is asking how to setup a static IP on their local network so they can use port forwarding.

In the network settings on your Mac, change it from DHCP to manual configuration. Enter the static IP address you want based on IP the address of your Airport Extreme. I don't know what IP the Airport Extreme uses but for example my Linksys router is 192.168.1.1, so for a static IP I've entered 192.168.1.20 (this is outside the dynamic IP range of the router, which starts at .100). "Subnet mask" should be 255.255.255.0. For "Router", "DNS Servers", and "Search Domains", enter the IP of your Airport Extreme (again in my case is 192.168.1.1).

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It sounds that way.

As for LAN, the default configuration would be for it to distribute addresses. If so, you probably want to reserve (or set a static) IP locally. That's where the port mapping comes in. You tell the router to pass specific traffic on that port to/from the local IP. Those outside will get to that machine throug the static IP your ISP gives you.

Example: ISP static 69.xxx.xxx.xxx:6112 <> 192.168.x.x for your local LAN machine.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I thought that right after hitting submit (of course). But, I think the OP's covered either way now. :)

7. Jmarsiglio thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay ill try that out as soon as I get around to it, currently I'm on the XP version of my computer. Also, when i checked out my airport utility a few days back my subnet mask that showed on some menu was 255.255.254.0 (don't know if i typed that out correctly, anyways it has a 254 in it). Don't know if that means anything? Also on my network prefs. my router ip is 10.0.1.1, when i go on router, itssays my router IP is 173.33.216.1, which is close to my IP (173.33.216.XXX) is this normal?

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Okay there are 2 kinds of IPs: internal and external; internal is within your network; your ISP gives you the external on (the one computers will use to connect to your network (and server). Most ISPs either charge a premium for a static IP or require you to have a business account (which is usually twice or thrice as expensive as a residential plan).