Stay with 3GS until 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MMAMAN, Apr 29, 2011.

1. MMAMAN macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Im using a 3GS right now and have the money for the 4, should I get it or wait for the 5? Thing is...when does the 5 come out? June? Fall? Stupid rumors...

Main things I would want the 4 now is for better battery(very important 3GS is horrid...) and screen is SO much better! And you figure when the 5 does come its gonna be so hectic and hard to get and expensive(have to buy off contract) that I probably wont be able to get it immediatly...

Suggestions?

2. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

i would wait. the 3gs isnt that slow? my 3g just became way to slow for me to use so i bought a used bold 9700 - which i love the keyboard actually.

if i had a 3gs i would have waited, but if you find the battery totally unreliable, get a 4 and sell it later?

3. MMAMAN thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yea thats my plan, get 4 then sell for 5 when the hype dies down. (3GS is borrowed from my bro, but he has 4 so I can use till whenever)

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah the iP5's are going to be very expensive (off contract, on ebay) when they come out. I also have a 3GS on T-mo and it does the job, but would love to get a better screen and longer bat life.

5. MMAMAN thread starter macrumors newbie

Another thing, GPS on this is terrible as well, as something I like to use a lot in the city, Id imagine the 4 is better?

6. nukem170 macrumors member

I would wait. But I upgraded to 4 anyways b/c a friend of mine sold his 2 month old phone to me for $450 and I was able to sell my 3GS for $300. LOL. :) IT was well worth it.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

8. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

9. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

10. Surely Guest

Surely

There shouldn't be any difference between the two. Maybe your 3GS is defective.

11. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

That's what I'm doing. I've got a few more months until I qualify for upgrade pricing, and even if the 5 isn't out by then, I'm going to wait.

12. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

I think I remember reading something here on MacRumors a while back about the iPhone 4's GPS chip being better than the 3G and 3GS. So it could be true that the 4 is better in that respect.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

I stand corrected. :)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=952563

14. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wait. Full stop.

15. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I would wait at least until we know what the next iPhone will be, and when it will be available. Wait for that, so you can eliminate some of the unknowns, then decide. The next iPhone may not be available in June, but I bet it won't be long before we know what the next move will be.

16. TWD98j macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat, I've had 32GB 3GS since launch day back in 2009 and I skipped the iPhone 4 when it came out. I like all of the features, and the screen on the 4 is to die for. But I was not a fan of the design and then when such a spectacle was made of the antenna issues, I told myself I would wait and see what they come up with for this year. Since the 3GS was able to painlessly handle iOS 4 and gave me multitasking and folders, and still was able to suit my needs, even if it meant living without the retina display, gyroscope, HD camera, facetime, etc I told myself I would wait.

Now, however, doing all this waiting is seriously testing my patience. The way I figure, since I've waited this long, I'm not going to cave now. My 3GS has really started to show its age. There are several apps that I would get (can't think of any particulars off the top) but won't because I don't have gyroscope or retina display, and they would look like garbage on my 3GS screen. If it's the battery that concerns you, maybe invest in a juice pack (http://www.mophie.com/. Yeah they cost like $80 or so, but if you're on the phone all day like I am, surfing, emailing, texting (via free text app), and youtubing all over 3G, they can make your phone last 60% longer than normal.

Still holding out for this year's iPhone model, whatever they end up calling it.

17. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

I would wait. I have a 3GS and I am waiting.
    That way you have an option to go with the iP5 or get a 4 at a reduced price. We should know more in just a little more than a month to see what happens at the WWDC.

18. Bobbytoad macrumors member

Bobbytoad

Simply WAIT! Just did the upgrade and although everything works faster better, I just don't think it's worth it this late in the refresh cycle - I wish i'd waited, particularly if rumours of dual core & better camera are on offer, also the death grip problem being sorted plus better battery life would be a bonus!

19. macdragonfl macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

would wait

IP4 is great but when IP5 comes out it will be discounted so if the 5 is not worth it get the 4 be patient. :)

20. mtnbikerva1 macrumors member

It seems STUPID to me that the iphone 5 will not be 4g.
    Why keep old slow technology?

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

And you know this information how?

22. smartbot macrumors member

smartbot

If you have to buy the phone off contract then you might want to look at the Samsung galaxy S2. It's gotten some pretty nice reviews (dual core, larger screen / battery, etc.). And the good thing is that you don't have to wait (you can order it from the UK unlocked right now).

Plus if you really end up liking the iPhone 5 in the fall you could sell the galaxy s2 and get that...

23. GD45 macrumors newbie

Torn

I'm in the same boat. my white 3GS is starting to show its age and the release of the white iP4 is making me salivate. I honestly think that the iP5 will only be a minor change from the 4 and that the updated features aren't going to be earth shattering for me, the way i use it anyway.

Plus I HATE playing the apple wating game. I've done it before and honestly i think the 6 months+ I'll have of enjoying my new phone will offset the disappointment of the iP5 release. Plus I guess i could always just start saving a little bit here and there and then just play the baller card and buy it outright and sell my white 4....

Right Now I'm leaning towards the white. (sorry still convicing myself)

24. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I just sold my unlocked iPhone 3GS 16 gig on craigslist for $280

I say get the iPhone 4, it will have great re sale value

theres no telling when the iPhone 5 will come out

25. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

If you want to then do it! Make yourself happy. Just try to get the 32GB that way if iPhone 5 is super awesome and you want it, you can put it on eBay for 600.