Staying on iOS 8 or back to iOS 7.1.2?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by matthew2926, Jul 7, 2014.

?

Staying on 8 or back to 7.1.2?

1. Stay on iOS 8

56.1%
  2. Back to 7.1.2

43.9%
  1. matthew2926 macrumors 6502

Just wanted to get an idea of who is staying on iOS 8 and who has reverted to 7.1.2 after the beta 3 release.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

its too early to tell but from what I'm experiencing so far I'm staying on iOS 8

3. matthew2926 thread starter macrumors 6502

As of now I have reverted back to 7.1.2. For me, the actual iOS 8 beta 3 system seemed to run pretty well but a lot of the 3rd party apps that I hoped beta 3 would fix didn't. Beta 3 itself seemed pretty good but its 3rd party app compatibility wasn't.

4. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Stayed one beta one, stayed on beta 2 and staying on beta 3.

5. adamgbiggs macrumors regular

adamgbiggs

Been with iOS 8 since the start and will stay with it ;-)

Adam.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I have the same amount of tolerance and patience as you but in Beta 2 I couldn't even answer or make phone calls without the phone freezing. I drew the line there where basic phone doesn't even work correctly.

7. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I am getting a lot of resprings on my iPad rMini (A1490), even after a clean restore to B3.

It isn't the end of the world since it isn't my primary device, but I may have to restore to 7.1.2 to make the unit usable again.

8. Mosi macrumors regular

I figure I will give it a week and decide. A couple critical apps for me have started working like Lastpass, Pebble (when it wants to) and Hangouts. Battery life and phone temperature will ultimately guide my decision more then third party app compatibility.

9. thogin macrumors member

thogin

I'll be reverting back to iOS 7. iOS 8 will shine once it's released and we see third party extensions, widgets, keyboards, health, etc. As it is now, iOS 8 beta 3 doesn't have any "killer features" for me and while it's fairly stable, the few bugs I've encountered are pretty annoying (ie, music playback controls on my jogging headphones stopped working).

10. Ferrd macrumors regular

Ferrd

7.1.2 for me....... for now

I had no choice but to go back to 7.1.2. Beta 3 killed my phone essentially: poor battery life, tons of resprings, wifi issues. I will keep Beta 3 on my ipad because that is where I do my actual testing, but my phone is too important to deal with issues.

I'll jump right back in though with Beta 4 :cool:

11. mr99 macrumors 6502a

12. Jaguarr40 macrumors regular

Jaguarr40

Many people are going back to 7.1.2 because of Beta 3 and until the Gold Master hits many people are going to do this shy of the public release.

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I didn't bother updating to B3 because it has the same problems that made me go back to 7.1.x from B2.

14. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

15. campyguy macrumors 68040

Staying on both. My daily driver is on 7.1.2 and my backup is on 8.0B3. My backup was reverted to iOS7 for the first two Betas but this one's a bit more stable.

16. lancastor macrumors 6502a

Back to iOS7. iOS8 isn't ready for daily use.

17. jkfrederiksen macrumors newbie

I vote back to ios7 beta3 is not ready to be used on daily basis

18. Alphabetize macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

I reverted back to iOS 7 yesterday. iOS8 is way too buggy, and I had to keep resetting my iPhone like 4 times a day. But I really enjoyed the new iOS 8 features, I will miss them in the short period of time while I'm back on iOS 7!

19. jkfrederiksen macrumors newbie

Yes same her, i hope that beta4 will be ready to use as daily miss some of the ios8 features

20. apple.snapple macrumors regular

I actually didn't even bother going back to 7.1.2. These 3 betas are so difficult to develop for due to the freezes and crashes that I just flipped my sim in to my Nexus 5 running android L. It sucks because literally my entire house is nothing but apple (TV, laptop, mini, iMac, iPad) so I'm losing a ton of cenergy (and purchases) by not keeping everything Apple, but until GM or public final, I'm seeing what's new on the other side of the fence.

21. Type4O macrumors 6502

Type4O

Staying on 8, but going back to b2 because the music.app freezes and I cannot use my Bluetooth headset since going to b3.

22. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

Beta 3 runs brilliantly on my iPad Air. The only reason I've gone back to ios 7 is because a few of the apps I need to use at the moment haven't been updated for it yet.

I would love to keep it on my iPhone, but the Bluetooth LE bug makes my Pebble useless, so I don't have much choice there.

I'm impressed by how smooth it is for a 3rd beta though.

23. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I went back to 7.
    iOS 8 beta is not bad if you use it on a development device, but is not stable enough to be loaded on my iPhone, I had troubles receiving calls, bugs in whatsapp and other apps, etc.
    I don't need to use it on my development devices since I'm testing on the simulator right now, maybe I'll load on of the last betas just to end my compatibility tests on an actual device

24. sturob macrumors regular

I agree with the poster(s) who said that 3rd-party app compatibility isn't where they'd like it to be for iOS 8.

That said, I understand the process for reverting to iOS 7. Is there a way for me to look at the backups in iCloud and see if there's a copy of my iPhone on iOS 7 to use? I have never tried to look at that stuff.

Stuart

25. matthew2926 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if you can look at the iOS version for iCloud backups, but I'm pretty sure that every time you create a new iCloud backup from a device, the previous one is overwritten. One thing that I do in order to always ensure that I have a good backup for both iOS 7 and iOS 8 is that I use iTunes to create a local backup on my computer and then I take the backup from the folder that iTunes saves it to and I put in in my own folder for organizational purposes. Basically, I have two folders saved on my desktop: iOS 7.1.2 backup and iOS 8 beta 3 backup. Whenever I need to restore to a new iOS, I simply take the proper backup from the corresponding folder and COPY it (not click and drag) back into the folder where iTunes stores its backups. I highly recommend that other people use this method too because I have always been able to restore to the latest public release and still have a backup. Sorry if I'm a bit unclear in my method. If anyone is actually interested in this method of organizing backups, I would be happy to type out a full guide or something.