Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Staying on 8 or back to 7.1.2?

• Total voters

wolsoncpa

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2013
I just downgraded back to 7.1.2... not enough new features in iOS8 to make all the annoyances worth it.

matthew2926

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
Michigan
Lol I can't make up my mind! One day I'm on here posting about how iOS 8 betas suck and the next I'm running them. In addition, even when I have my moments back up on iOS 7, I keep switching between stock and jailbroken. Ahhh, in addition I'm VERY OCD so all of this irregularity in my iOS version is making my mind a living hell. iOS 8, iOS 7 stock, iOS 7 jailbroken...which one, which one?!?!?!

ajay96

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
New York, NY
Lol I can't make up my mind! One day I'm on here posting about how iOS 8 betas suck and the next I'm running them. In addition, even when I have my moments back up on iOS 7, I keep switching between stock and jailbroken. Ahhh, in addition I'm VERY OCD so all of this irregularity in my iOS version is making my mind a living hell. iOS 8, iOS 7 stock, iOS 7 jailbroken...which one, which one?!?!?!

Same here lol. I'm sticking with stock 7.1.2. Most stable on my 4S.

Is beta 5 good to use on daily driver?

Varies from person to person and what device you're using it on.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Beta 5 is a lot better. The only real issue I am having is some 3rd part apps have some wonky keyboard bugs. Some of the OS X continuity, handoff, and SMS/phone calls aren't working right yet either.

I'm pretty happy with iOS 8 now.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Out of curiosity, are the new widgets in notification center up and running yet?

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Would be using on a 5S and iPad Air.

I just updated last night and haven't experienced any issues on the 5s. Too early to tell with battery life. Usually it's important to give it a couple cycles before judging.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Is beta 5 good to use on daily driver?

That's what I want to know too. I have it loaded on my spare iPhone 5 (for testing), which seems to work fine, but it doesn't get service, so everything works great.

I'm interested in loading it on my daily driver 5S to see if it's equally stable.

apple.snapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
iOS8 beta 5 is perfect for daily driving. BUT... I'm going back to 7 simply because one or two of my mission critical, business critical apps STILL will not work on iOS 8. I've contacted the authors, but the only response I'm getting is "it will be ready for public release of iOS 8". Buggar.

Why wouldn't a developer want to release during the beta phase, so they have as much time to troubleshoot as possible BEFORE public release?

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
iOS8 beta 5 is perfect for daily driving. BUT... I'm going back to 7 simply because one or two of my mission critical, business critical apps STILL will not work on iOS 8. I've contacted the authors, but the only response I'm getting is "it will be ready for public release of iOS 8". Buggar.

Why wouldn't a developer want to release during the beta phase, so they have as much time to troubleshoot as possible BEFORE public release?

After some further testing today, I think I'm going to stay with 7.1.2 for my main phone. Some of my mission critical apps like 1Password, Skype, and maybe others aren't working on iOS8 yet, so no go for me.

Also, the developers are working on improving their apps, but there is no point fixing them for beta OS'es because beta OS'es are constantly changing. As some others have pointed out, what worked in an earlier developer release, doesn't necessarily work in the latest developer release. You'd be wasting your time chasing a moving target if you were to code for an evolving OS that hasn't finalized its code/behaviors yet.

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2014
It's not stable for me, even if it's a fifth beta. I'm still getting a lot of keyboard bugs with predictive text still not turning off, and this is happening on all of my devices; fresh restored.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

Because they aren't allowed to make updates for iOS 8.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix

If they are building for ios8 they cannot even submit to the app store until it goes live.

Its a very messed up system. You cant make ios8 apps with xcode 5 so you need xcode 6 beta. If you are using xcode 6 beta you cannot submit any apps to the app store. You cant have both xcode 5 and xcode 6(well you can but its pretty tricky).

You pretty much need 2 machines to keep working and do testing.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Understanding what iOS beta releases mean and entail would pretty much answer all those questions.

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
If they are building for ios8 they cannot even submit to the app store until it goes live.

Its a very messed up system. You cant make ios8 apps with xcode 5 so you need xcode 6 beta. If you are using xcode 6 beta you cannot submit any apps to the app store. You cant have both xcode 5 and xcode 6(well you can but its pretty tricky).

You pretty much need 2 machines to keep working and do testing.

You can install Xcode 6 Beta's on Mavericks so you can keep using your production machine with Xcode 5 without issue. Only thing that would prevent you from releasing an iOS 8 compatible build in Xcode 5 is if you use any of the new API's that are only available in the new SDK.

It's not really that bad of a system, plus with the amount of changes that occur in the beta process, waiting for GM before releasing anything 'made for iOS 8' is a very good idea.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
I was on 8... but I kept getting facebook messages from people who said their iMessages to me were failing. I could send them, iMessage was on... but yeah.. too many things not working in 8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.