Windows Steam has finaly died

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Washac, May 12, 2014.

1. Washac, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014

Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Steam has died on me today, I have spent all day trying to get it to work under Bootcamp/windows 7, It was working OK until this morning, now I keep getting this error -

Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again.

I have been on Steam via my Mac account to find an answer and have followed many peoples answers to sort this out all to no avail, even the things Steam have told them to do, I have uninstalled and reinstalled to avail.

No matter what I do I just getting the error above.

2. Irishman macrumors 68030

Have you reached out to Valve/Steam directly for some insight?

3. Washac, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014

Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Yup, raised a ticket with support, as yet no response other than an automated one with links to faqs pertaining to solve the problem which they do not.

I have said this all along regarding DRM and game clients, if the client goes rougue on your machine then it is bye bye software, I am now done with it. I just hung around with the few games I had from the start and a couple of later ones. Now I have none that I have paid for as I no longer use Mac Steam (My choice) and now the Windows one has gone rougue, I spent a whole day and evening trying everything I could find about my issue to no avail, all this DRM is a total joke, I for one have had my fair share of troubles from client based/DRM software, I have had enough.

4. SingularityG macrumors 6502

SingularityG

About once every thee months, I get a similar problem. No matter what I do, Steam just doesn't connect.

The only way how I am able to fix it, is to log-in on the Steam website and then run the Steam App. Voila!:)

5. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Nope did not work for me.

Steam starts the install then goes to a window saying updating and the incoming KB is all the place, it starts going up, then drops, starts going up again, drops again sometimes to zero, it keeps doing this until I get the check your network connection error, and there it all stops.

6. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

7. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

I run Steam in Windows 7. Here is a thought. Download Steam and install it somewhere else than your current install. See if it will launch and update. If it does, then you can merge the Steam installs by either moving yours SteamApps folder (a folder where your game content is kept inside of the steam folder) over to the version that works.

8. Washac, May 13, 2014

Washac

Tried that, just the the same, tells me Steam needs to be online to update, so it will not even install somewhere else.

Just realised that when Steam all went wrong it was in Offline mode.

9. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

I assume you've read and tried something like Steam Forum?

I found this comment interesting:

10. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

11. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Try this one. You are going to go into the registry using "regedit" and find the setting for Steam and change it from a "1" to a "0" to put it into online mode:

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-fix-steam-stuck-offline-mode-problem-12231192.html.

After you do this, reboot Windows.

12. Washac, May 13, 2014

Washac

Booted into safemode, done regedit, found steam on the left, but this option is not on the right.......

7. On the right side Look for "Offline", it is a REG_Dword file. The value will be set to "1".

So thanks for all that but still no go I am afraid.

Think this only works for a fully installed steam client.

I have also tried ccleaner, still no go.

I have even restored bootcamp from a winclone backup from when Steam was working, guess what it refused to work, it was at that point I uninstalled steam and tried to reinstall.

I wonder if bootcamp and or Mavericks has anything to do with this ?

13. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

If it still isn't working, it may be:

A) Your router's firewall is blocking steam connections.

B) Your system's firewall is blocking steam connections

C) There's a major connectivity issue between your ISP and steam.

or

D) (not likely) Your account was deactivated due to suspected fraud or something, and it's giving a bad message.

14. Washac, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014

Washac

A) Checked router all OK.

B) System firewall checked, all OK, with an exception for steam.

C) Mac steam is working fine so that cannot be the case.

15. Huntn, May 14, 2014

Huntn Suspended

Huntn

It's possible but this issue exists on the PC side with OSX no where in sight so hard to say.

Have you tried this one?

16. Washac, May 14, 2014

Washac

Thanks to all who tried to resolve my problem with Steam not installing under Windows, I think it is a lost cause and can really no longer be bothered with trying to get it to work, Steam.

I am really really glad I am not a Windows user, complete nightmare, I only set it up to play certain games. In future I will try getting any Windows games I want to play under a wrapper of some description.

Bye Bye Steam not nice knowing you.