Steam is case (in) sensitive only? (SOLVED)

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by ert3, Jun 22, 2010.

1. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

steam lost track of some of my game files.

I play eve the most which can be manually launched without steam however my symbolic link has gone missing and I got the following error when trying to relaunch steam.

I guess it should also be mentioned that moving my steam folder back to where it belongs did not result in steam working but rather an update box claiming to move game files that should already be where they belong

Attached Files:

2. ert3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ert3

Well reinstalling hasn't worked, restarting didn't work now im asking valve

3. ert3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ert3

Ok Apparently this problem comes as a result of Steam Moving games to /Users/<username>/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps

The Cure is to move the contents of the "Steam Contents" folder into the above folder.

This problem seems to only have occurred for me because i symlinked my steam game folders so it would not actually exist in my "Documents" folder.

Please note that before moving my games files I destroyed the first steam folder in application support which gave me an overly descriptive error which helped me figure this out.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I've been trying to move my SteamApps folder to an external drive so I can actually install CS:S and the rest of Orange Box. I keep running into this problem, even though the drive doesn't use a case sensitive format.
    So, I'm stumped

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

6. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

So that guide does work with the Steam Apps folder then? Is it just a case of changing any instances of "contents" to "apps" and bear in mind the different location?

Also is it possible to keep 1 or 2 Steam games on the OS disk and keep the others on an external using symlinks?

Sorry if that's a daft question but I have no experience with symlinks at all.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I've updated the Mac Rumors Guide for Fixing Steam Content to reflect the latest structural changes to Mac Steam. I'm happy to answer any questions within my expertise level. :)