Steamed about how the Pre-Orders were handled

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by julienpdx, Sep 16, 2014.

1. julienpdx macrumors member

While I realize I'm not alone in this feeling (seeing how Twitter pretty much exploded last Friday night); I figured I'd take a chance here. I really really want an answer about what was happening on the date of the pre-order launch of the iPhone 6 and 6 plus??

I'm located on the west coast and I typically rise pretty early. I've been through three of these launches before and never had an issue. But this year, I had to wait until nearly 2:30 AM PDT on 9/12/2014 to pre-order an iPhone 6 Plus (GSM) T-Mobile and I am CERTAIN that the long delay to access any ordering capability is the reason why I'm now stuck with a shipping date that is 2 weeks from the actual launch date. I am considering just cancelling the order and not buying it (waiting for the initial ridiculous demand to subside first).

I have been seeing rumors online that Apple elected to use some sort of load-balancing software to manage the traffic hitting their site on launch night. That is fair enough--but what were the methods being used ? Were they keeping whole pools of ISP's, IP Addresses or geographic locations out of the website until so late? Also, why does the Apple Store "app" (which was working for several people about an hour after midnight) NOT contain a way to order this specific model?
    I would really appreciate some actual answers to my questions. I've emailed and tweeted at Apple and have essentially been ignored--thought I'd find out who here might know what the hell the issue was. :confused:

2. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Get in line at an Apple store early Friday morning. There will be unlimited answers.

3. maybeiloveyou macrumors member

Well I'll tell you what I think:

One, apple apparently outsources the load (outsources their servers? Not sure what the correct terminology is here) for preorders because they don't receive that heavy of a load the rest of the year. Apparently that company guesses what the traffic is going to be like for that day and goes from there.

Two, Apple knows what the mania is going to be like. It gets people and the press hyped up, they get to say it was the "craziest launch ever" (happens EVERY YEAR) and ultimately, people are still going to buy their phones regardless.

Short of their servers burning down, I don't see how the preorder debacle was anything less than Apple's fault. I still got my order in but it was quite a headache.

4. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

Not happy also since I have seen many orders places after mine shipping, and I'm in the October 1-6 group. It is what it is though.

5. julienpdx thread starter macrumors member

and the beauty also is that they wont answer my question..period. They probably dont think they have to...typical Apple arrogance.

No one seems to know for sure why the contract-free/T-mobile models are STILL NOT BEING SOLD through the app.:mad:

6. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Typical Apple arrogance? Do you have some examples of Apple's arrogance?

Did you only try the website? Did you have the app? Or did you just sit there for 2 1/2 hours refreshing your browser? If you've been through previous launches, you should know that you need backup plans, like the iPhone app. Worked for me. Blame yourself for poor planning.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You're holding it wrong.

8. aham23 macrumors regular

its about money and dispute you all complaining here about the process/service you still have or will give them you money. later.

9. kovey macrumors 6502a

Maybe you should post on the internet about it.

10. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

If they were to answer the question and say "the reason it was so bad was...." what would that accomplish for you? Would you have an earlier preorder?

Just let it go and move on, my friend. Life is too short to worry about things that are completely out of your control, and especially things that are in the past.

11. MH01 Suspended

MH01

I have to admit that I wasted my time trying to access the site at the time I was informed by Apple that pre-orders went live.

It looks like they did restrict access to the site. And Botched it.

I know I was able to access the site on Safari ,while accessing it via IE just did not happen at the time of me giving up.

While I did access the site, it would not allow me to pre-order the device I wanted. When you clicked the select button nothing happened. Total waste of time.

From my experience its the first time Apple has botched up a pre-order while trying to be smart. Though at the same time apple completely botched up a simple live stream. Looks like the "internet services" is not apple's strong point.

I feel sorry for the US fans that got up at night and had to put up with this cluster ****.

I just gave up and went to the pub, there are more important things in life that worrying about a bad pre-order experience.

12. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Right there with you. West coast. Ready well before 12 AM PDT. 2.5 hours of refreshing iPad, iPhone, website. 7-10 business day result.

Not at all happy how Apple "handled" this preorder.

:apple:

13. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Iphone 4.

You are holding it the wrong way comes to mind ;)

Dude, I'm not sure how long you have been with Apple, though let me assure you, pre Cook, Apple would never admit any issues/problems. They would remain silent, and suddenly an update would appear for your device.

14. julienpdx thread starter macrumors member

seems pretty clear they were load-balancing/keeping people out and they messed it up big time. My other guess is that the unlocked ones and the 64GB ones (or both, LOL) were the ones everyone went for and given all the rumors about lower stock levels--there's the answer.

Still no work on why the contract-free phone isn't being sold through the app:cool:

15. AFDoc macrumors 68030

You want info on specific questions yet come to MacRUMORS to try and obtain that info..... yeah..... Hmmmmm.... Ok.

If apple can't/won't tell you anything what makes you think someone on MR can? PLUS maybe be thankful you have food in your belly tonight..... thousands that live right around you don't so...... Be thankful for what you have and not what you don't I guess. I'll be thinking of you when I'm picking up my 6+ in the morning at the apple store and signing for my 6 when it arrives at the house typically around 1000 or so. Good luck.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You preordered it wrong.

I woke up 7am Friday, preordered through the app, and my phone is waiting at my local store.

17. AFDoc macrumors 68030

LoL!!

Think I saw him say the T-mo phone sin't being sold on the app or something.