Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
What's a mess is spending over 1000 dollars for a phone and not protecting it with a case .... a case that will give your phone a grip so it doesn't fly out of your hands.
A phone that requires an extra case is a failed design IMO, in particular if it costs a thousand dollars. I’ve always gone naked with iPhones.

Last edited:

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I find the opposite with the frosted glass, my skin almost sticks to it and it hides smudges. Meanwhile the plain glass on other phones become a sweaty greasy mess in my hands as the processor warms up (yes they are clean).

Glass backs and steel is dumb on a handheld device though. I could care less for wireless charging so much prefer an aluminium back and frame. Sure steel and glass gives you the "premium" feel out of the box like a heavy metal watch, but I prefer to keep it light (keep a large display). Also prefer a naked phone.

The box design doesn't help with hand feel coupled with the extra weight. There is nothing ergonomic about these phones anymore.

Reactions: timeconsumer

Shh

Suspended
Jul 28, 2022
Scorched Earth, Arizona
A phone that requires an extra case is a failed design IMO, in particular if it costa a thousand dollars. I’ve always gone naked with iPhones.
The only phones that didn't require cases were flip phones. They were cheap chunks of plastic with barely any tech inside. You can go naked with any phone, but if you drop it, it's toast. I don't like to take that chance. The amount of money something costs has nothing to do with a flawed design. If you crash a Lamborghini into a tree and it breaks, is that because the design is flawed? Phones now have billions of parts in them ... microscopic parts. Reducing damage to those billions of parts is not flawed logic. From the billions of transistors to the tiny camera components that can be ruined by jarring, we are dealing with serious technology in our pockets. So no, there is nothing flawed with using a case. I also like to keep my phones looking minty fresh because I sell them to put money toward a new phone. Do you forgo using screen protectors as well?

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
A phone that requires an extra case is a failed design IMO, in particular if it costa a thousand dollars. I’ve always gone naked with iPhones.
They're actually designed to be used without a case from the factory and trillion dollars of Apple's R&D lol. Though, the price amount and paranoia kicks in for most people so they are entombed in a thick Otterbox case most of the time (nothing wrong with that though)

Reactions: czaffa and transpo1

ShawnTXDFW

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
Dallas/Ft Worth
I would love to see glossy back with glossy sides. The two tone look is dated to me now. My favorite iphone design ever was the jet black iphone 7. Jet black iPhone 14 pro would have me drooling
This was also my favorite iPhone design and color ever. The jet black was simply stunning. Like a baby grand piano. I absolutely love that color. And I wish they’d bring it back.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Nah.
I would like a brushed steel, or better yet titanium or any other hard metal that’s light. Aluminum scuffs up with a single touch / ding / drop.
Frosted back is the best, no fingerprints doesn’t feel greasy. Love it. Slip and slide action lmao

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
They're actually designed to be used without a case from the factory and trillion dollars of Apple's R&D lol. Though, the price amount and paranoia kicks in for most people so they are entombed in a thick Otterbox case most of the time (nothing wrong with that though)
AC+ or equivalent and forget about it
I am using a screen guard this time though. I got sick of constant screen replacements with my 12 pro due to scratches.
Unlimited claims is a sweet touch this year

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
The only phones that didn't require cases were flip phones. They were cheap chunks of plastic with barely any tech inside. You can go naked with any phone, but if you drop it, it's toast. I don't like to take that chance. The amount of money something costs has nothing to do with a flawed design. If you crash a Lamborghini into a tree and it breaks, is that because the design is flawed? Phones now have billions of parts in them ... microscopic parts. Reducing damage to those billions of parts is not flawed logic. From the billions of transistors to the tiny camera components that can be ruined by jarring, we are dealing with serious technology in our pockets. So no, there is nothing flawed with using a case. I also like to keep my phones looking minty fresh because I sell them to put money toward a new phone. Do you forgo using screen protectors as well?
$29 new screen
$40 Belkin ultra glass
$29 new rear housing
$60 MagSafe phone case
Whoops ☺️

Reactions: czaffa

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
All jokes aside nothing on the phone feels as good as matte glass and steel to me. Not leather, silicone, or polycarbonate/TPU
They are all a downgrade. And well, even if there was a metal and matte glass case, the amount of weight it would add is a non starter.
Phone is heavy as is, insurance is all I need.

Shh

Suspended
Jul 28, 2022
Scorched Earth, Arizona
All jokes aside nothing on the phone feels as good as matte glass and steel to me. Not leather, silicone, or polycarbonate/TPU
They are all a downgrade. And well, even if there was a metal and matte glass case, the amount of weight it would add is a non starter.
Phone is heavy as is, insurance is all I need.
Nope. Nothing feels like the bare phone, unfortunately. :(

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I agree. I don’t want my phone looking like an indestructible Nokia 3310 so the unfortunate side effect is that it’ll have to be placed within a stylish case for protection. If you like the look of your phone and want to show it off, there are plenty clear cases available that provide excellent protection so I really don’t see what the problem is.

Even the cheap ass SE1 I am using right now is in a clear case and has a tempered glass screen protector. Technology is quite precious which is something a lot of people forget. I try not to destroy everything I lay my hands on and take suitable measures to mitigate unavoidable accidents.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
I find the opposite with the frosted glass, my skin almost sticks to it and it hides smudges. Meanwhile the plain glass on other phones become a sweaty greasy mess in my hands as the processor warms up (yes they are clean).

Glass backs and steel is dumb on a handheld device though. I could care less for wireless charging so much prefer an aluminium back and frame. Sure steel and glass gives you the "premium" feel out of the box like a heavy metal watch, but I prefer to keep it light (keep a large display). Also prefer a naked phone.

The box design doesn't help with hand feel coupled with the extra weight. There is nothing ergonomic about these phones anymore.
I agree on the last point ☝️ The rounded design of the 11 Pro series was much easier and comfier to hold. Even the 4/4S design had the differential between SS bezel and glass which made it easier to grip. This new, pure, square-sided design is the least comfortable yet. Not going to keep me from my 14 Pro Max though ;-)

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Stainless steel is nice, but the added weight with other increasingly heavier components (larger camera units, larger battery) is not helping. The iPhone 13PM/14PM are 240g, probably one of the heaviest phones out there with the smallest battery (not even 4500mAh).

In contrast, the Samsung S22 Ultra has larger screen, larger battery, an s-pen inside, and it's still lighter than the Pro Max iPhones. :D

Although Apple is doing a great job in distributing the weight on the phone, I'm shying off anything that's over 200g. Even the 14 Plus is out of my list when I saw the weight. I miss the days when lighter weight was a feature (eg iPhone 5, which was just 112g!, almost 30g lighter than the iPhone 4s).

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Aesthetics is the only driving factor when designing flagship phones , if they wanted practicality and durability we wouldn't have glass back panels or slippery edged frames
Yeah, and more nudging for people to buy Applecare, cases, etc.

And it's sad that plastic is being frowned upon nowadays, ignoring that it gives all the benefits of glass (wireless charging) minus the drawbacks (it's lighter and more durable). And plastic doesn't have to feel like plastic, it can be made with premium feel finishes nowadays.

Reactions: Knowlege Bomb

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
I've never had a case on my iPhones and never had a problem with slippery frosted glass. Like seriously people just try to find something to be upset about it seems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.