Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
At the end of the day there is no combination of materials that Apple could use, maintaining the size and form factor of the iPhone, that would reliably survive drops or rough daily use without at least significant cosmetic damage, ergo you need to put a case on it if you want to keep it nice.

Aluminium bends, titanium is a lot more prone to scratching than people think, glass breaks, plastic snaps, any metal on the back would block the wireless charging, etc etc.

Stainless steel is at least good and rigid, improving the structural integrity of the phone and protecting the glass to some degree, and it provides a shiny surface that’s easy to grip even if the back glass isn’t (titanium would be less good for that). It’s also nice to look at, until you do the only sensible thing and put it in a case.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Apple finds a way to make their phones slippery: If an iPhone has a grippy glossy glass back, it will have a slippery matte metal side frame. If an iPhone has a grippy glossy metal side frame, it will have a slippery matte glass back.

Last edited:

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
@Leon1das I also hate the frosted glass, I want the glossy glass on pro models like the iPhone X.
Edit: Also, I don't like the brushed aluminium finish of the band of regular iPhone, it is too slippery for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leon1das

GoodOne

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
There's hardly a difference with a slim case.

Really? Which slim case do you mean by that?

I never use a case and only have the Apple Leather case to compare which is aesthetically pleasing but adds quite a lot of bulk compared to using it naked. Is there really a slim case that is so thin it's barely noticeable?

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
I already tried to update to Pro model once but for the love of God - they are not just heavier but also "frosted glass" back makes them super slippery.

10min with Pro model (13 or 12) and i get back to the regular model to praise its grip.

I get it - most people put their iPhones in the cases and dont notice this, bit if you go naked - the difference is SO big that I really cannot understand it.

Why not making titanium frame or just keep aluminum - and for the frosted glass - why not making that mat design inside so that visually it looks the same but keep the surface glossy...

Anyone?
Because the manufacturer believes that if the phone isn’t annoyingly heavy, their afraid it might feel cheap. So maybe they try to make it heavy as possible, you know, like big chunks of solder chunky glass heavy steel straps and whatever to make the purchasers feel like they’re getting their money’s worth for the the big chunk.

Shh

Suspended
Jul 28, 2022
Scorched Earth, Arizona

I never use a case and only have the Apple Leather case to compare which is aesthetically pleasing but adds quite a lot of bulk compared to using it naked. Is there really a slim case that is so thin it's barely noticeable?
Nothing is as thick as hyperbole.

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
I haven't used a phone case since moving to iPhone at iPhone 4. The device is designed to be naked, if they wanted a bulky plastic or silicone case on it, they would build it in. Plus, honestly, unfortunately, the phone is too big and heavy as it is anyway, a case just makes it ridiculous.

Get Maximum Apple Care and go about your life, if you F it up, go get a new phone.

Reactions: Leon1das

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
I haven't used a phone case since moving to iPhone at iPhone 4. The device is designed to be naked, if they wanted a bulky plastic or silicone case on it, they would build it in. Plus, honestly, unfortunately, the phone is too big and heavy as it is anyway, a case just makes it ridiculous.

Get Maximum Apple Care and go about your life, if you F it up, go get a new phone.
It’s designed to be naked in the sense that it’s designed to look pretty and not break immediately if you hold it in your hands, make a call, or send a text.

Beyond that, Apple’s designers couldn’t care less if you drop/sit on/scratch or otherwise break it by accident, and in fact very much want you to worry about that and take out Apple Care to cover it. Failing that, they’re very happy to sell you one of the many cases they’ve designed themselves for this supposedly naked-by-design device.

Reactions: ThomasJL and Shh

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016

Yep… that’s why Apple design their own cases and sell them as a separate revenue stream. 🙄

Also, why would they build in a case onto the phone itself? Certain brands such as Oppo provide cases to users as a free accessory, if that is what you are meaning. Apple are a high end brand and cater to people who don’t mind spending extra cash so they charge extra for their cases.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
There’s no way I’d want the regular glass back on a pro, the frosted glass just feels so much nicer when I hold the phone.
I used my 13 Pro for a year naked, and not one mark or blemish on it.

My 14 Pro I’ll likely do the same, although I was gifted a black leather case which I’ll use if I know there’s a risk to dropping like in crowds etc.

Shh

Suspended
Jul 28, 2022
Scorched Earth, Arizona
There’s no way I’d want the regular glass back on a pro, the frosted glass just feels so much nicer when I hold the phone.
Just because you haven’t gotten into a car crash yet doesn’t mean you shouldn’t wear a seatbelt.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
The only phones that didn't require cases were flip phones. They were cheap chunks of plastic with barely any tech inside. You can go naked with any phone, but if you drop it, it's toast. I don't like to take that chance. The amount of money something costs has nothing to do with a flawed design. If you crash a Lamborghini into a tree and it breaks, is that because the design is flawed? Phones now have billions of parts in them ... microscopic parts. Reducing damage to those billions of parts is not flawed logic. From the billions of transistors to the tiny camera components that can be ruined by jarring, we are dealing with serious technology in our pockets. So no, there is nothing flawed with using a case. I also like to keep my phones looking minty fresh because I sell them to put money toward a new phone. Do you forgo using screen protectors as well?
I wish I could like this more than once. Beautifully written.
I agree. I don’t want my phone looking like an indestructible Nokia 3310 so the unfortunate side effect is that it’ll have to be placed within a stylish case for protection. If you like the look of your phone and want to show it off, there are plenty clear cases available that provide excellent protection so I really don’t see what the problem is.

Even the cheap ass SE1 I am using right now is in a clear case and has a tempered glass screen protector. Technology is quite precious which is something a lot of people forget. I try not to destroy everything I lay my hands on and take suitable measures to mitigate unavoidable accidents.
The Apple clear case is a very solid and great looking accessory. It requires a bit more maintenance than I like though and the problem is exacerbated by the case developing micro-cracks in the on/off cycle.

You’re not going to get much more slim than Apple’s own cases unless you want to sacrifice protection. Lots of videos over the years proving their cases are some of the most protective.

That’s certainly an option. Myself, I prefer the feel of leather to the bare steel/glass. Every iPhone I’ve had has ended up in leather eventually.

Apple’s leather case is the slimmest I’ve been able to find and really becomes part of the phone once you get used to it. I used Bullstrap on my 13 Pro and going back to that really showed me how much more slim the AL is.

I upgraded to a 14PM and I was already going up in size and weight so the small fraction of the weight added by a leather case that feels great, smells nice, looks amazing and protects the phone is more than worth it.

This is all opinion, obviously. YMMV.
Also, why would they build in a case onto the phone itself? Certain brands such as Oppo provide cases to users as a free accessory, if that is what you are meaning. Apple are a high end brand and cater to people who don’t mind spending extra cash so they charge extra for their cases.
That’s me. I always end up with at least one Apple case. They’re nice and I think they’re worth the money. Hell, Bullstrap is charging almost $90 for their cases these days which is why I canceled my order and went with an Ink leather case that I was able to get immediately vs. mid-October.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington

My 14 Pro I’ll likely do the same, although I was gifted a black leather case which I’ll use if I know there’s a risk to dropping like in crowds etc.
Yes, same here! I've had non-pro phones and hated how the regular glass is such a fingerprint magnet. I love the fact that you don't get fingerprints on the frosted glass- and it just looks a bit nicer.

I personally don't see an issue as I hold onto the steel frame around the phone, I am not grabbing it directly by the glass when I pick it up or hold it- and the steel- especially the non-silver colors that have the coating- is pretty grippy in my opinion.

jdsmitty10

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
I agree with the OP. My XS was way more grippy than my 12 pro. I use my 12 pro caseless and haven't had issues since there are glossy edges that add grip. The phones that were ALL matte aluminum like the 6 and 7 were like holding an icecube..Had to case those two phones. Hoping my 14 pro is atleast as grippy as my 12 pro(which it should be) but I would prefer all gloss as well for better grip without a case like the X and XS..

GoodOne

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
You’re not going to get much more slim than Apple’s own cases unless you want to sacrifice protection. Lots of videos over the years proving their cases are some of the most protective.
You are probably right. If I would have to pick a case it would definitely be the Apple Leather case.

Well I guess I’ll keep going naked as I‘ve been doing for the last decade. The only iPhone that was seriously damaged when I dropped it was the iPhone X with its glass back but still it was just the back and it was fully usable even with the shattered back. With iPhone since the 12 series nothing really happened, this ceramic shield thing is no marketing BS.

Reactions: Knowlege Bomb

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
I already tried to update to Pro model once but for the love of God - they are not just heavier but also "frosted glass" back makes them super slippery.

10min with Pro model (13 or 12) and i get back to the regular model to praise its grip.

I get it - most people put their iPhones in the cases and dont notice this, bit if you go naked - the difference is SO big that I really cannot understand it.

Why not making titanium frame or just keep aluminum - and for the frosted glass - why not making that mat design inside so that visually it looks the same but keep the surface glossy...

Anyone?
Not sure what you're talking about, anodized aluminium is definitely more slippery than the polished steel, for the same reason frosted glass is more slippery than glossy glass.

but the frame material is more important because you grip over it then using.

I have an iPhone 11 with aluminium frame and glossy glass, it's far more slippery than the 14 pro with frosted glass and glossy frame.

Mate or glossy is a surface property, it can't be "inside"...

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Completely agree. I had a 13P and genuinely came to hate the appearance and heft of the steel. Looks cheap and gaudy in person, especially with fingerprints all over, but great in product photos. Weighs a ton. I genuinely find the look and feel of the pearl finish aluminum more attractive and premium. To each their own!

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
Aluminum costs more than stainless. 😄

Especially 7000 series aluminum.
It cost a lot more. 4 times as much. Shame how well Apples marketing works. 7000 series Aluminum is used in Aerospace for spacecraft, satellites etc. SS is cheap by comparison. But the uninformed and generally clueless will think it’s more premium.

Last edited:

aenflex

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
FL, USA
$29 new screen
$40 Belkin ultra glass
$29 new rear housing
$60 MagSafe phone case
Whoops ☺️
$12.99 3 pack Amazon screen protector.
$50.00 Apple case.

(You forgot to add in the subscription fees for AppleCare+ and the $99 for ‘other accidental damage’)

These two one-time purchases protect my device from multiple drops. I spend upfront on those. That way I’m not spending $29+ each time I drop my naked phone.

Reactions: Andeddu

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
$12.99 3 pack Amazon screen protector.
$50.00 Apple case.

(You forgot to add in the subscription fees for AppleCare+ and the $99 for ‘other accidental damage’)

These two one-time purchases protect my device from multiple drops. I spend upfront on those. That way I’m not spending $29+ each time I drop my naked phone.
Different strokes for different folks

reeneebob

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2015
Yes, same here! I've had non-pro phones and hated how the regular glass is such a fingerprint magnet. I love the fact that you don't get fingerprints on the frosted glass- and it just looks a bit nicer.

I personally don't see an issue as I hold onto the steel frame around the phone, I am not grabbing it directly by the glass when I pick it up or hold it- and the steel- especially the non-silver colors that have the coating- is pretty grippy in my opinion.

I actually dropped my 13 Pro more with a case on than I ever did in the 8 months it was naked.

It was far gripper naked than my wisteria leather

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.