Stepped on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tnick777, Oct 17, 2010.

1. tnick777 macrumors regular

tnick777

Last night I stepped on my macbook pro... Everything seemed fine when I was on websites that use primarily white screens but upon closing out to my desktop (a deep black) I noticed a white blotch.

At first I thought I had rubbed my screen, but seeing as it wouldn't come off I began to realize something happened to the screen to warp or bend it last night.

This morning it looked like it faded a little but it's still there and it's still really bothering me.

I bought it earlier this year in March...

Should I take it in to get fixed? If I do how much (at all) would it cost?

Is it even worth it? (it's more of an annoyance than a big problem. In fact it takes me a couple seconds to see where it is because it's faded now).

Should I wait a couple days to see if it goes away (somehow) all together.

I'm lost here :confused: I dropped the $1,200 out of my own pocket for this thing and it's gotta be in pristine condition for me ;)

Representation of what I have going on

[​IMG]

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you take it in to get fixed it'll cost you the price of a new screen plus labor. I'm not sure how much new screens go for these days, probably a couple hundred.

3. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Go to an Apple retail store and see how much it would cost and make a decision based on the price of the fix.

If it's too much money to fix, then bare with it until you have enough money to spew out.

If it's cheap. Just go ahead and fix it.

But yeah just wait a few days to a week and see what happens before you go the the Apple retail store.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Ever-so-slightly OT here, but I hafta ask - how did you step on it? :confused:

I mean, were you walking on your desk, or did you *gasp* have the computer sitting on the floor, or what?

5. tnick777 thread starter macrumors regular

tnick777

I put it on the floor next to my girlfriend's bed and she had her coat on top of it.

Usually when I get out of bed and I feel the metal I know it's there and I step otherwise, but I thought it was a pile of books under it and once I put enough weight on it I realized it was my laptop...

Usually my laptop is on the floor... and usually it's safe... Just one time I had some bad luck.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Okay, just curious.

I hope you're able to get it fixed, though.

7. tnick777 thread starter macrumors regular

tnick777

Actually it didn't fade...

I took it into a dark room and it's as bright as it was last night...

It's not a huge deal I guess but it's so annoying...

I'll take it in probably monday or wednesday.

We'll see how much it costs... I don't think the screen has to be replaced... I just think something's making contact where it shouldn't... I had a similar problem with my phone.

8. DJ-R macrumors regular

why in the world you would put your macbook pro on the floor next to your bed? What happened if you rolled off your bed.

Now get a side lamp desk beside your desk seriously and lay rest your laptop on it instead on the floor.

9. tnick777 thread starter macrumors regular

tnick777

Usually I keep it under a big pillow on the floor... But since I wasn't even at my house I put it next to the bed and she put her jacket over it.

I'm a very careful person and rarely do I have accidents like this.

No need to get rude about it.

10. bigsnowdog macrumors member

It's never safe on the floor. That's the part you are missing.

11. tnick777 thread starter macrumors regular

tnick777

Obviously it isn't.

======
    Here's something I made in photoshop that kinda shows my predicament

[​IMG]

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

OP Deserves some credit. Atleast he didn't fly in here saying "My MBP was on the floor and I stepped on it. Now it's broken. Why are Apple computers so fragile? Who the heck makes a computer out of aluminum? Will I have to pay to fix it? I have Applecare (which is the Coup de grâce). Apple suxxxxx"

13. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I loled at this.

He understands that this can happen to any laptop.

Actually a PC laptop is made of plastic covering at most and can break even easier.

14. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Hate to say this but Apple will quote for replacing the screen or nothing: the entire screen section is basically a sealed unit. They don't disassemble them to fix.

15. LocoStrange macrumors member

That sucks...

The few times that I have put on my mbp on the floor, I was always afraid of this happening so I just slid it under the bed

16. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

how the hell do you step on a mbp? and why was it on the floor? anyways just wait a week to see if it goes away then visit an apple store.

17. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

That does suck but at least you didn't crack the screen so it is usable until you get it fixed. Hopefully it won't cost too much and also check like other shops see if they do the repair cheaper

18. tnick777 thread starter macrumors regular

tnick777

I mean guys obviously it's my fault... I didn't come in here to raise debate over it...

It's not like Steve Jobs said

"and the great thing is... It doubles as a step stool"

*crowd ***** their pants*

No I know it was my fault and it was a dumb mistake... And in circumstances I don't experience everyday.

I just hope that

1. I can get it fixed/replaced for a decent price

or (unrealistically)

2. Somehow they've made macs with a synthetic bioreproduction sequence that replicates a macbook pro and acts like DNA making repairs to the body as it goes.

Which I doubt... and i may very well patent that idea ;)

19. zeiter macrumors 6502

I have one white spot like yours on my screen..went to the apple store...they said I needed to change the whole screen...was about CAD$700.....so yeah......it's a 15.6 inch macbook pro.......but I would suggest you to buy from ifixit.com or something like that, way cheaper!!

http://www.ifixit.com/Mac-Parts/MacBook-Pro-13"-Unibody#0-LCDs

Sorry for the bad news!

20. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Don't mind the haters brah. They are just jealous that you have a girlfriend and they don't. :eek:

Life's real lessons are usually the one's we lose out on in some form or fashion. You probably won't ever put your MBP on the floor - any floor - ever again.

I'm betting if you can get through a week or two, time will allow you to let yourself off the hook a bit and you'll live work and play with it as you did before that fateful step. Best of luck.

21. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

cut the poor guy some slack, he is probably getting the 3rd degree from his girlfriend about this.

good luck, I would wait a bit and see if it gets worse.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Does the top of the lid show any depressions? What about the front of the display?

If there are no physical marks (apart from the screen itself, you can try to take it in to the Apple Store and see if they'll replace it. Feint ignorance. I'm not telling you to lie, just don't tell them you stepped on it—say you won't know). If you want to be tell them to blatantly, that's you're call.

Sure the Genius might say it had to have been caused by pressure or whatever, but they can still chose to fix it at no cost to you. So if you get a nice Genius, you can get it fixed for free. If they want to charge you can decline it and also request that they don't document the issue. I do that all the time.

23. briansh macrumors newbie

briansh

Where did you get your wallpaper from? Link please!

24. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

x2
    I am around 200 pounds and I cant imagine any laptop really surviving a foot
    life happens get it fixed or sell for parts or use external moniter.

25. melman101 macrumors 68030

Yeah, I had a similar mark but way smaller. And, I had no idea how I got it. So I brought it in for a trackpad problem, and said, "Oh I also have this mark on my screen." He said, it looks like a pressure point, where do you keep it? I said, on a table generally. He said "Ok, there looks like no other damage, we will replace the screen for you."