Steps count on Activity Watch Highly Inacurate

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by sananpx, Apr 25, 2015.

1. sananpx macrumors newbie

My experience with step counter is not so good. I calculate my steps very regularly on iPhone. But there is lot of discrepancy in the steps counted by phone and watch. It is about 15 to 20 % difference, watch count less. I can understand calibration difference in two devices but this is a huge number.

Can you please share your experience.

2. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I have never found the iPhone to produce accurate results for steps. Compared to my fenix 3, the iPhone tends to significantly over count.

3. mkruck macrumors regular

mkruck

On day 2 with the watch, and my experience has been the exact opposite. I'm wearing my FitBit Charge as well as the watch for the first week or so to gauge accuracy, and as of now there's only a 25 step difference between the two. I got a 3.75 mile run in this morning and hit the mall, so the activity is fairly constant.

I'm looking forward to ditching the FitBit permanently.

4. Fthree macrumors 6502a

LOVE my fenix 3!

5. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I think you are just confirming what the OP is suspecting. The iPhone is not accurate, but the watch should be as accurate as any other step counter. They all vary, but most are within the same ballpark.

6. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

It's the phone that is inaccurate not the watch.

7. lokey macrumors regular

lokey

Total Steps and Distance Inconstencies

Anyone else find the Total Steps and Total Distance numbers in Activity to be inaccurate? My wife and I walked very similar distances while wearing our Sport Watches (she has a 38mm, I have a 42mm) and she has nearly double the steps and distance.

I'm not sure which is more accurate, her results or mine, but they shouldn't be this inconsistent. Could it how tightly we wear the band? I wear mine a bit more snug than she does.

Anyone else seeing this?

8. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

My husband doesn't have the watch yet but I can say that ALWAYS happens to us with our Fitbit ones.

9. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

10. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Don't rely on iPhone for an accurate step count.

11. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

I work in retail and customer told me her FitBit Charge HR had the same issues. She works as a hair stylist and moves her arms around a lot, which messes up the pedometer. At the end of the day, Fitbit said she walked 1,000s of steps. :O

12. menace3 macrumors 6502

menace3

Are you two the same height? We have different strides. My other half is shorter than me and walks faster to keep up with me. Therefore, more activity than me.

13. rdavis41 macrumors member

rdavis41

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm also more impressed with the HR measurement than the Fitbit. The Apple Watch does a nicer job with HR for a weight lifting workout when compared to Fitbit charge HR and Basis Peak. Very surprising.

14. lokey macrumors regular

lokey

My wife is a full foot shorter than me so I thought the same, but our Total Distance should fairly consistent even if our steps are wildly off.

I did go back in and change my personal information. I found that I made myself an inch taller than I intended during initial setup. Guess I was so excited to get the watch setup that I scrolled down too far. :) With that corrected I hope to see more consistent results.