Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RodChester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Hey there folks I just wanted to post my plans for upgrading my phone to 4.1 and then jailbreaking it to make sure everything I do is going to work out ok. Right now I have iOS v4.0.1 that was jailbroken with jailbreakme.com.

First I plan to get PkgBackup from Cydia and backup all my apps this way.
Next I will have iTunes do a backup of my phone.
Then I plan to restore my phone as new and upgrade to 4.1.
I will then run the greenpois0n jailbreak.
Then run PkgBackup to get my apps restored.
Then I will restore my phone from the backup I just made in iTunes to get all my contact info restored.

Does this sound like the right things to do? I am confident that PkgBackup will work and do what I want. My main concern is making sure I get all my contact info back after upgrading. Is it possible to just upgrade my phone to 4.1 without restoring it as a new phone and keep all my contact info that way?

Any help and advice will be much appreciated. :D

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
you can save your contacts in Outlook or Windows Address Book and save them that way. you can do this is iTunes under the info tab after your phone is plugged in.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
After a OS restore it will ask you if you want to restore from backup or as new so so you don't have to setup a new then restore from backup. The pkgbackup is store in your restore so you will have to restore from backup then run pkgbackup.

RodChester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Ok so it looks like I need to run PkgBackup, backup my phone in iTunes, upgrade to 4.1, run greenpois0n, restore phone from the iTunes backup and then restore from PkgBackup.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Ok so it looks like I need to run PkgBackup, backup my phone in iTunes, upgrade to 4.1, run greenpois0n, restore phone from the iTunes backup and then restore from PkgBackup.

Well I would restore to 4.1 not update/upgrade. They are two different processes. The only other thing you need to consider is if you want to preserve your baseband if your on an iPhone 4.

RodChester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Well I would restore to 4.1 not update/upgrade. They are two different processes. The only other thing you need to consider is if you want to preserve your baseband if your on an iPhone 4.

Ok so I restore to 4.1 then run greenpois0n then restore my backup in iTunes. I am not concerned with my baseband since I am on AT&T and will be staying there.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Ok so I restore to 4.1 then run greenpois0n then restore my backup in iTunes. I am not concerned with my baseband since I am on AT&T and will be staying there.

Lol you just doing to have to do it to see. Restoring the OS and restoring from a backup are done in the same process. As soon as itunes is done restoring the OS it will detect the phone and ask if you want to setup as new or restore from back. This is what it will look like.

RodChester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Ok I think I have it. Thanks for all the help. I just want to make sure that I do not lose any of my contacts. That is my main concern.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Ok I think I have it. Thanks for all the help. I just want to make sure that I do not lose any of my contacts. That is my main concern.

That is stored in your backup so as long as you have that you will be fine.

bender o

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
You might want to keep your baseband just in case the unlock for the new one doesn't come through and you want to sell it later, follow this guide it's great, IF you can't get it to upgrade with the IPSW they tell you to download just upgrade normally with iTunes and it will also work and keep your baseband (I did that and it worked but remember you have to try first with the IPSW they tell you to download)

Here's the tutorial
http://www.coveringweb.com/2010/09/how-to-update-ios-401-to-ios-41-on.html

Hope I helped :)

RodChester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Thanks again for all the help TMar. I just started the update. Hopefully everything goes smoothly.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Thanks again for all the help TMar. I just started the update. Hopefully everything goes smoothly.

Welcome and good luck.

You might want to keep your baseband just in case the unlock for the new one doesn't come through and you want to sell it later, follow this guide it's great, IF you can't get it to upgrade with the IPSW they tell you to download just upgrade normally with iTunes and it will also work and keep your baseband (I did that and it worked but remember you have to try first with the IPSW they tell you to download)

Here's the tutorial
http://www.coveringweb.com/2010/09/how-to-update-ios-401-to-ios-41-on.html

Hope I helped :)

Why the quote of my post for that? Like me he seems to have no need for an unlock per his post..

RodChester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Does the restore take a bit to complete. iTunes is showing about 98% complete on its progress bar and my phone is showing about 60% complete on its progress bar. They both have been at this same spot for over 10 minutes. Do I need to disconnect and put my phone in DFU mode and do a restore that way?

RodChester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Did you ever edit your host file for doing downgrades?

No I have never needed to downgrade. I just did the first update to 4.0.1 awhile ago and then jailbroke with jailbreakme.com. Other than that I haven't done anything to change the firmware.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
And it's till hung at the same spot? And you don't have TU open and running? Sounds like it should be as the BB part. I personally would try to unplug and plug it back in.

RodChester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Well I unplugged it and it shows the connect to iTunes picture, but when I plug it back in nothing happens in either iTunes or on the phone.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Does the restore take a bit to complete. iTunes is showing about 98% complete on its progress bar and my phone is showing about 60% complete on its progress bar. They both have been at this same spot for over 10 minutes. Do I need to disconnect and put my phone in DFU mode and do a restore that way?

Those two bars will not show the same status, don't expect them to. I hope you didn't unplug because of that. I believe the phone is showing a more overall progress while your iTunes is showing progress for the current process. Be a little more patient next time!

RodChester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Well I restarted iTunes and started the restore over again and it froze at the same spot.

Sorry TMar but I do not know what you mean by TU.

RodChester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Those two bars will not show the same status, don't expect them to. I hope you didn't unplug because of that. I believe the phone is showing a more overall progress while your iTunes is showing progress for the current process. Be a little more patient next time!

Well it was at that same position for about 30 minutes before I unplugged it and started over.

RodChester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Ok I finally got error 1004 and then used TU to kick it out of recovery mode. Seems to have worked! Now I am restoring from my iTunes backup.

RodChester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Bah! I ran greenpoisi0n and it said the jailbreak was complete but there is no loader icon on my phone. Man the last jailbreak was so easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.