Steve Jobs Employment Questionnaire Sold for $174,757 at Auction

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 16, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A rare employment questionnaire filled out by former Apple CEO Steve Jobs was auctioned off last week, earning an impressive $174,757.

Jobs filled out the questionnaire in 1973, just after dropping out of Reed College, where he attended school for approximately six months and then audited classes for another year and a half.

[​IMG]

The document provided a rare look into Jobs' life at the time, with Jobs listing "english lit" as his major and Reed College as his address. "Computer" and "Calculator" were listed as skills, along with "Design" and "Tech," and Jobs said that he had special abilities that include "Electronics" and digital "Tech or Design Engineer."

Soon after filling out the employment questionnaire, Jobs took a position as a technician at Atari after showing the company a version of Pong designed by Steve Wozniak. Just two years later, Jobs, Wozniak, and Ronald Wayne founded Apple Computer in Jobs' now iconic garage.

Ahead of the auction, the auction site believed the questionnaire would fetch over $50,000, but it ended up tripling that estimate.

[​IMG]

A separate auction for an Mac OS X technical manual signed by Jobs in 2001 also brought in $41,806, while a signed newspaper clipping that Jobs signed sold for $26,950.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Employment Questionnaire Sold for $174,757 at Auction

2. AskMcG macrumors member

AskMcG

It must be nice to have that kind of "play" money.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Incredible what will Someone will spend on a piece of paper worth the value of a house.

4. tridley68 macrumors 6502

tridley68

That's just plain crazy for a old yellowed up piece of paper

5. maerz001 macrumors 6502a

maerz001

6. nfl46 macrumors 604

Where did I go wrong in life? Lol. I guess a majority of ask the same thing. Anyone got $175K laying around to buy a piece of paper?

7. Pupi macrumors regular

Pupi

8. Jsameds macrumors 68040

ITT: People jealous that

A) They can’t afford it
    B) They wish that their castoffs were worth that much

9. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

The first is an interesting historical trivia but it won’t likely have lasting value. It’s not exactly a letter penned by George Washington or an extant copy of the Magna Carta. The people who sold these sold them at a good time to maximize the current value.

10. tridley68 macrumors 6502

tridley68

Question did he get the job I see a lot of unanswered questions on that paper.

11. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

You can buy a house for nearly nothing. My grandparents had a house for sale on their block for $1 (1994 money). People do this when the cost of knocking down the structure to get at the land can be offset by having someone else come in and take the building. If you have land but no house, it's a lot cheaper to transport a house than building your own.

12. L-Viz macrumors regular

L-Viz

With that, you could clone Jobs out of some cells in the specimen, start a new business like Maple Computer, and become a billionaire !

13. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

Man - the simple days when that was a job application.

14. gpwdeux macrumors newbie

gpwdeux

rhe·tor·i·cal
    rəˈtôrək(ə)l/
    adjective
    adjective: rhetorical
    1. relating to or concerned with the art of rhetoric.
      • (of a question) asked in order to produce an effect or to make a statement rather than to elicit information.

15. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

You asked a question?

16. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

“Phone: none

Even back then, wouldn’t talk about upcoming products...

17. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

My first job, Burger King 1991.
    I think the application was just name, address, and a contact number. The interview was basically:
    "Can you start tomorrow?" "Sure, I guess" "Ok, see you then"

18. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

19. npmacuser5 macrumors 6502a

npmacuser5

Some try hoarding or vast amounts of time at sales in the hope they hit the rare find lottery. Another option.

20. ookladek macrumors newbie

ookladek

Man every time I see something like this about Steve's past and see how he used to ride hard on Wozniak's back i feel bad for woz.

21. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

I feel that too. Even knowing that Woz would have likely given everything away had Jobs never been there doesn't really help. I guess the story we know is better than the one where Woz gives a friend he doesn't really know gift, the recipient realizes it isn't patented, and creates Apple.

22. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

23. Black Tiger macrumors 6502

Makes Apple’s pricing seem downright cheap by comparison lol.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 16, 2018 ---
    Hence his push for proportionately spaces fonts?

24. Shaun, UK macrumors 68040

Shaun, UK

Who is buying all this stuff? It’s a big gamble to assume they will increase in value over time.

25. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

When I read that application, I am reminded of that process of trying to get your first job. That is such a vulnerable position.