Steve Jobs has a track record

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by costeta, Aug 19, 2008.

1. costeta macrumors member

Looking at the barrage of complaints and some very very basic phone features that the iphone lacks, I bet Steve Jobs will definitely screw up the iphone like the way he screwed up the mac...

After fondling with my iphone 3g for a few days the novelty has died down, and now I just want a smart phone that works!! I'll be listing on ebay soon

2. aphexii macrumors 6502

He screwed up the Mac? Since Jobs re-joined apple, their market share has grown considerably. Without Jobs, I don't think Apple would have survived.

3. illutionz macrumors 65816

How did he screw up the mac?? The mac was SCREWED before he came back in 1997... He (along with his executives and Billy's investments) are the driving force behind mac ressurection in recent years.

My advice: if you want a smart phone that works aside from the iPhone, get Symbian S60 device ;) WinMo will be another disappointment

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, what a track record.

Mac sales are growing at a 40% rate. Every other computer maker is somewhere around a 5% growth rate, at best.

But heck, why talk about that? The iPhone is really more like an iPod. You know, the music device with close to 80% market share?

So I'm not sure what 'track record' you're really worried about here.

5. grantrobarts macrumors member

What you are saying, I believe, is the complete opposite of what is actually true. At least that's probably what the general population believes.

6. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

7. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

He didn't screw up the Macintosh; I blame John Sculley, Mr. "Lets add $500 to the price of the machine *just* for advertising!"

Lack of internal expansion was the main issue with the original Macintosh. Gobs of external, no internal unless you liked soldering. So yeah, kinda like the iPhone I suppose, if you really wanna compare a desktop form 1984 with a smartphone from 2007 :rolleyes:

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Feeding the trolls = Arguing with opinions. That will go on forever.

Everyone here is mostly just posting facts. That's pretty much the best thing you can do. They say "x" and everyone says "no, actually it's y"

And then there's not much else to say on either side at that point.

9. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

This is one of those pointless posts that should be given no response.... when presenting an argument you should have facts..unless there are facts about Jobs track record then there is no point in arguing someone misguided opinion....

10. cere macrumors 6502

...the way he screwed up the mac...?

You mean the way he resurrected the platform? Or made it the fastest growing platform? Or the best selling laptop line on university campuses? Or was able to transition the platform from MacOS to MacOSX and from PPC to Intel?

You are right, he does have a track record. And since returning to Apple, his track record has not been perfect (Cube...), but it has been pretty damn remarkable.

11. costeta thread starter macrumors member

Well maybe I may be wrong about Jobs.... but it's not about the personality; it's about the "apple culture". Looking at the restrictions on iphone --an awful but irreplaceable battery being a typical example -- I can foresee the iphone suffering the fate of the mac if another 'microsoft' competitor with more proactive marketing drive pops up from somewhere

12. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

Costeta may be a troll so don't get worked up. I don't trust any thread that complains about a person or company when the OP has so few posts. Most likely the OP is just trying to stir things up.

13. markgamber macrumors 6502

I don't know if Jobs screwed up the Mac but the quality has sure gone downhill lately. Or so it seems based on the Mac forums. I haven't had any problems with my MBP yet, but I have turned it on to a scrambled screen several times which means problems are inevitable. Of course, if I took it in now, I'd be laughed out the door, so I'm just kind of sitting around waiting for it to die. Not exactly what I expected from a $2000 notebook. I'm also on my second iPhone exchange already due to problems I won't go into because they're real and not up for debate with people who have never seen it yet still feel compelled to spew their opinion.

Now what I'd like to know is how sales have increased 40% or whatever when Apple's market share has been more or less consistent at 5% since the beginning of time. Last time I looked, it's highest market share was 7% and that wasn't recently.

14. illutionz macrumors 65816

Did I mention personality?? No...

I said, he did not screw the mac in the first place, John Sculley did. In fact, Steve, his executives, and Bill Gates are people who responsible for the Mac resurrection. Non-replaceable battery has been long been going on since the iPod days... this is hardly a surprise.

The thing is that, there is practically NO other competitors to Windows or Mac. Yes Linux is doing well but it's not well enough to be received by the consumers.

15. nick9191 macrumors 68040

What do you mean the fate of the Mac?

The fact that Apple is now the most profitable OEM in the world?
    The fact that 1/4 computers sold in the consumer market are now Macs?
    The fact that Mac sales have increased 54% from last year?
    The fact that Apple creates its own market, fills it, and then becomes the market leader?
    The fact that every market Microsoft has entered where it was not already dominant has failed miserably?

Which one of those to you defines a failing company?

16. costeta thread starter macrumors member

I don't need 6500+ before I can speak my mind. I may be wrong about him, but that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it...:)

17. m4rc macrumors 6502

Again though you are not making sense. 'Suffering the fate of the mac' would have to mean being an incredibly successful product. You don't mean that though, you need to find another example. And your last comment implies that the iPhone has a marketing drive that is not proactive - how do you work that out? Like it or hate it EVERYONE knows about the iPhone, go and find out how many people know about the Zune and see what they know about it, if they have heard of it I bet they couldn't tell you much.

18. costeta thread starter macrumors member

I mean the mac in it's early years

19. illutionz macrumors 65816

Ah the "beauty" of freedom of speech. Tom, Dick, and Harry are entitled to their opinion...

20. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The Mac did great in its early years too.

It DID start to suffer in the years when Jobs wasn't at Apple.

So yes, I guess you're "entitled" to hold the opinion that Steve Jobs screwed up the Mac in the years he didn't work at Apple, but that's kind of an odd opinion to hold if you ask me.

22. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

I didn't mean to imply you're not entitled to an opinion. All I meant was I can't take seriously anyone who has only posted to three threads (three threads that you started), two of which complain about Apple.

But don't feel bad. I've known my brother-in-law for nearly twenty years and I can't take him seriously either because all he does is complain. You should see his Myspace blog: constantly complaining about Apple (among other things) and he's never even used an Apple product, so already you're one up on him. :)

23. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

easy now, i live in louisiana and i know a bunch of people who would be pretty pissed if you took that title from us...

24. nick9191 macrumors 68040

That has nothing in the slightest to do with Jobs. When he left, Apple was doing very well. It was Sculleys fault by introducing a million and one different products, and wasting Apple's revenue by creating electronics, some of which good, but selling them for the cost of a down payment on a house so they never sold any.

Then by the mid 90's they had an operating system which was pathetic, and a million different products all of which were to expensive for consumers.

Quite frankly OP, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

25. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Apparently, you are not familiar with Apple's nor Steve's history from the beginning of Apple until present day. Otherwise I am sure you would have not made such a blanket statement such as this.

No worries.

The iPhone is not for everyone. No big deal.

Good luck selling your iPhone. :)