Steve Jobs ingores European users

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by princigalli, Jan 22, 2008.

1. princigalli macrumors 6502

Some European users feel that Apple ignores their satisfaction and only runs after their heavy Euros. Well I can confirm this feeling, doe to my last experience with Iphone and Steve jobs.

Yesterday I wrote the following email to steve jobs:

I bought my Iphone legally, from Telecom with full contract, which turned out to be a huge mistake.

I dropped my Iphone and one button was damaged. I called Apple, they told me rudely that they can't help, to go to Telecom, and that anyway it would be very expensive and take weeks.

I went to Telecom and they told me it could take weeks or even months. That the IPhone was not serviced like other phones, and I would do better to find an unofficial repair shop.

Now I have no Iphone and a very expensive monthly plan to pay for two years. And everyone knows here that the IPhone plans are very expensive compared to anything else in Germany.

I would expect that an IPhone customer from Apple would be treated better than a Nokia customer. In this case, I was ripped off many times, at every level of the selling chain and it's left me a bitter taste about Apple in general (I have an extensive number of your computers).

Are we in Europe only a source of cash for you? Do we not deserve anything else but a kick behind after we've paid?

Of course I was willing to pay for service, since it's my fault. But Telecom and Apple don't want to bother. Only contact them if you want to buy something. Does one have to write an Email to the CEO in the hope than SOMEBODY with care about customers?

What do you think Steve answered? Nothing of course! Why waste time with a customer in Europe? And service? Why offer service when the customer already signed and paid?

Not that it will make any difference for Apple, but I can't keep buying their products after being ripped off. So I will be converting slowly to Vista. I hope it all goes well. I will open a thread somewhere and keep a diary of my reconversion. Now every time I see Jobs speak, I will see him as nothing more than a talented car dealer with a special interest for ripping people off.

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

You dropped... and broke? your iPhone and you expect someone else to pay to fix it for you ?

If you were going to pay to get it fixed yourself then I think that should of been addressed in the e-mail, as to me it read like you were expecting Apple to fix it for free.

Perhaps a re-write of the e-mail will get you your response. I think Apple should fix it, but not at their expense, and perhaps that's what they thought you wanted ?

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You dropped your Phone and broke it? Manufacturer's warranties generally don't cover accidental damage, regardless of who made it, Apple or not.

4. spot1701 macrumors newbie

Ditto. When I bought my iPhone I was offered extra insurance which covered accidental damage (i.e. dropping it)
    Manufacturer's warranties cover manufacturing defects.
    I wouldn't class dropping a manufacturing defect. Didn't you have a case for you iPhone? I think you have unfortunately learned an expensive lesson.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Just so I'm clear...

You're mad that you bought an iPhone.
    You're mad that the purchased an expensive plan to go along w/the iPhone.
    You're mad that you broke your iPhone.
    You're mad that Steve Jobs hasn't contacted you personally.

Am I misunderstanding anything?

Lethal

6. princigalli thread starter macrumors 6502

Of course I expected to pay for it myself. Seems obvious since I told them it fell.

No, I am mad that after buying so many overpriced items and plans, I receive no help from Apple, even if I am ready to pay for an overpriced repair. I am mad that Apple and Telecom service is so rude that I had to resort to send an email to steve jobs, in case he ignored how bad his european subsidiary is. I'm sad to see that Apple does not care about European customers, only about quickly pocketing their fat Euros.

My expensive lesson was "buy a Blackberry instead of Apple if you want a serious phone". This is probably why most business people still prefer RIMs to Iphone. The problem was not the insurance. I was willing to pay for repair. My problem is the way Telecom and Apple Germany tells you to **** off if you want anything else but spend money to buy something new.

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

What you just wrote is confusing in light of your first post…
    Exactly how many iPhones did you buy? :confused: Did you drop all of them?

If I should accidently damage my iPhone/Mac Pro/MacBook etc I would send it in for repairs… I don't rant on about Apple ripping me off.

8. Project macrumors 68020

If you're willing to pay for service, your best bet might just be to buy a new iPhone and put the SIM card from the broken iPhone in.

9. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

Why are all people who reply to the TS so ignorant? He does not expect Apple to service his iPhone for free; he just expects it to be serviced, and he is willing to pay for it as well (as it was his own fault he dropped it).

From what I understand from his writing, Apple or the Telecom shop/provider, are not willing to service his device; or it takes a very long time to do so. I can totally sympathize with him... If you want to pay for it it should be possible to have it serviced, like with any other electronic device...

That would be a thought, however unfortunately you cannot just buy an iPhone in Europe (otherwise we would all probably already have one). That's only possible in the US... In Europe (currently only in France, UK and Germany) you can only get one together with a phone plan. And you buy this phone plan + iPhone in the shop. In the US you can just buy one, activate it at Home and if you don't activate you don't have a phone plan :)

10. princigalli thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks 4np! That's exactly what I meant. All I want is basic service, something I think any normal European mobile company would provide. There are too many signs that Apple does not care about Europe. But they like our Euros. Then Steve Jobs should get into the money speculation market and out of the computer industry. Anyway, as far as I know, quality of Mac computers (Macbook in particular) is really going down.

Buy a new Iphone instead of fixing a small plastic button on the top-right side of the phone? Now that would be service from Apple.

11. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I love Apple, but their total disregard for everywhere other than the US is being a chore.

12. Project macrumors 68020

Not true. I am in the UK. I walked into the store, bought the iPhone and then activated/took out the plan on iTunes.

13. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

In the UK you can just pick one up from Carphone Warehouse, an O2 store or an Apple store and you activate and sign up at home exactly as you do in the US: You don't sign up for a plan in store (or at least I didn't on the 2 I've bought)

14. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

And

I didn't know that :) Interesting... however, still a bit expensive way to have a plastic button fixed for the TS ;)

Haha indeed :D

Just a thought; would it be possible to open up an iPhone yourself and service it yourself with a replacement part ordered from the internet?

15. moel macrumors 6502

of course it would...everything is user servicable it's just apple don't like you doing it

Seriously princessgalli stop acting like a majorly spoilt child. Did you send it off to apple. No

Realistically, you got a couple of hacked off call centre people. Send it back to apple and I'm sure that they will have a repaired one or a replaced one in a matter of days.

I don't think it's entirely unreasonable that you didn't get a reply from apple either, e-mailing 'steve' isn't a good idea, just imagine the spam filtering on the e-mail address, before then someone sifting thru the rubbish and the stuff that Steve needs

16. princigalli thread starter macrumors 6502

In theory yes, I've done some research. But it's really not that easy and many things can go wrong. Do you think it's normal that after spending €400 (about $600 or more) I have to search how to service myself?

17. page3 macrumors 6502

Well, Apple didn't bother even turning up to the UK AppleExpo, even though it would have been a perfect launch-pad for Leopard, which was released the same weekend. Says it all really...

18. Mackan macrumors 65816

Hm, yes like someone else said: the topic starter is prepared to pay for the repair. I don't know how the original post was, since he edited it, but my first thought was: oh yeah, let's see how many replies are gonna talk about warranty is not covering it.....

Anyways, I wouldn't be surprised if it is hard to get an iPhone repaired. The product screams exclusivity (and is), and if you have to send it in to Apple to get the battery replaced, I am pretty sure Apple is not gonna make it easy for their telecom partners to do anything advanced. They rather want you to buy a new one.

But I hope you get some help man, I understand how you feel.

19. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Lost in this thread is what the warranty for German iPhones states.

Does it say that such phones must be serviced by someone other than Apple?

If so, then that's what you purchased and that is that.

If not, then you need to pester Apple for a better-trained rep who can help you as per the warranty that came with what you purchased.

20. nlivo macrumors 6502a

In your story, what has showed any signs that Apple don't treat European's fairly??? You are just labeling yourself a European and saying that this is the only reason you have been treated "unfairly"!!!! You are being ridiculous!!!!

21. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

To be fair… no one else bothered with that Expo either.

I have no idea why it keeps going… :p

22. princigalli thread starter macrumors 6502

If you buy an Iphone in the US, you can send it to Apple for repair. Here in Germany, Apple didn't want the phone sent to them. They say they don't service Iphones. I would have to go through Telecom, and only they can send it to Apple. And all of this taking a ridiculous amount of time. And the service representative from Apple told me that "anyway, it would cost a ridiculous amount of money." He told me over the phone that it would be better to go with unofficial repairs. It looks like they don't want to have anything to do with repairs. This is not how they behave in the US, and it's against European laws.

They don't even sell Iphones in most European countries, they don't do movie rentals in Europe, their products are really overpriced here in Europe. They still go with a 1 to 1 conversion rate between US$ and Euro, as if they were in 1999.

I'm not the only European user to think that Steve Jobs simply ignores us.

23. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

There are many bizarre threads here, and the one you started is one of those.

You claim that "Steve Jobs ingores [sic] European users". First of all, Steve Jobs is running a company with a few dozen million customers, and that means that he will most definitely ignore _you_. He is the CEO, if he got involved in your case then he would be incompetent as a CEO.

Your story has nothing whatsoever to do with you being European or being in Europe. You claim that you called someone at Apple and they were rude. Please explain what in their behaviour you considered rude. (And I know that in some cultures saying "no" is considered rude. In some countries, you can't ask people for directions because they'd rather be polite and send you in the wrong direction then being rude and saying that they don't know the place you're looking for). So were they rude, or where they just not helping you?

In the end, your actions are not in any way helping you. If you talk to customer support and someone is unhelpful and/or rude, then you wait an hour until you are calm and call again. Formulate what you are saying in a positive way; give the person on the other end the opportunity to become the hero by solving your problem, don't force them into a defensive role by attacking.

Depending on how you act, when the guy you talk to goes home tonight and talks to his girlfriend, do you want him to say "I had this nasty idiot calling who was so stupid that he dropped his iPhone and he thought I would give a ****", or do you want him to say "I had this poor guy calling, he had some really bad luck, dropped a brand new iPhone, but I feel really good now because I could help him"?

24. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

If you think the Apple rep was fobbing you off with bad advice, then why not report him?
    I mean if someone at Apple told me to go stuff myself… well… I would go and report them. I cannot believe this is official Apple policy.

Did Apple really refuse point blank? In so many words? ;)

25. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

These sorts of threads used to be funny but now they're just getting annoying. I'm very sorry to hear about your difficulty in getting your iPhone serviced. Although it is very frustrating to not be able to get the answers you want from their phone support, coming to the conclusion because of it that Mr. Jobs is just a swindler who doesn't care about Europe is simply laughable. The reason you're not getting much of a positive response from people here is that you're not coming for help or advice with a problem, you're just acting childish about it, saying unreasonable things about Apple as a company, and threatening to go back to Vista (as if any of us care what computer platform you use). If you want a resolution to your problem get back on the phone with Apple and don't back down until you get the issue resolved satisfactorily, but just remember that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. If you have a legitimate demand for assistance from the MR community let us know and we'd be happy to help however we can. If you just want to whine and complain and call Steve Jobs names, go do it somewhere else. We're not really interested in hearing it.