Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today marks the tenth anniversary of the late Steve Jobs unveiling the MacBook Air, the world's thinnest notebook at the time.

macbook-air-10-years-old.jpg

After introducing the AirPort Time Capsule and sharing some iPhone and Apple TV news, Jobs walked over to his podium, grabbed a manilla envelope, and pulled out the sleek MacBook Air. The crowd at Macworld erupted with applause as Jobs held the ultra-light notebook in the palm of his hand.

The thinness came at a cost. The base model ran $1,799 for a 1.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB of RAM, and an 80GB hard drive. A maxed out version was also available for $3,098, around $300 more than the base Mac Pro at the time, with a faster 1.8GHz processor and a 64GB solid-state drive.

MacBook Air was all about firsts. The notebook was Apple's first without a CD/DVD drive, first to ditch a range of ports and connectivity options, first with a multi-touch trackpad, first to have the option for SSD storage, first to weigh just three pounds or less, and first with a mercury-free display.

A single design decision also epitomized the past decade of Apple: a flip-down door on the right side of the machine provided access to only a single USB port, a headphone jack, and a micro-DVI port.

We've seen Apple go down this path many times since: it introduced the MacBook with just a single USB-C port, reduced the MacBook Pro's connectivity to Thunderbolt 3 ports, and removed the headphone jack on the iPhone 7. Each change generated controversy, but ultimately set the course for its future.

Stephen Hackett of 512 Pixels has shared a great piece titled The MacBook Air: A Decade's Worth of Legacy over at MacStories that dives into the notebook's history. He also put together the video below.

A decade later, the MacBook Air remains a product in Apple's lineup, but likely only because it is a lower-cost option. Beyond a minor speed bump last June, the notebook hasn't been updated since March 2015, and it very well may be discontinued once Apple feels able to sell its 12-inch MacBook for around $999.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Introduced the MacBook Air Exactly 10 Years Ago Today

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
This was a game-changer. Never before had the tech world had so much power and utility in such a thin device. Netbooks were an attempt at this, but ultimately failed because they were singe-use devices. The Air set the stage for developments that would forge laptops beyond.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The Macbook Air was the de-facto template for arguably most of ultrabooks released, even until today. At its early days, especially the second gen with 11 and 13", they were awesome machines. And Haswell onwards gave the Macbook Airs unrivaled battery life.

I bought the 2011 11", then 2012 13", and finally 2013 11" (replacing the 2011). They were great. It is obvious that the retina Macbook is the sucessor (with focus on thin-n-light, and mostly wireless I/O). Either the retina Macbook has not given Apple good enough margin (or lower cost components), or Apple sees that the market is not ready yet in ditching ports. Keeping the old Macbook Air is cheaper than doing yet a new design that goes against their vision.

sgorneau

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
My mid-2013 13" i7 1.7Ghz 8GB RAM is hands down the best Mac I have ever owned ... and I've had iMacs, Mac Minis, PowerBooks, and MacBook Pros. It is super light, portable, performant beyond expectations, still has great battery life, boots in about 6 seconds (only occasional reboot anyway), and runs on the latest OS.

It really is the best investment I ever made.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Best laptop that I've ever had! 2013 MacBook Air! Just wish I had chosen the larger-capacity model to get me through another four years!
[doublepost=1516031610][/doublepost]
Even as this computer aged, I always felt like it had a certain allure. I still do. Even when the new MacBooks came out and then MBPs, the Air always had an appeal, despite its shortcomings. I just never found it practical enough to actually get one.

Practical in what sense? I've been touting a 2013 Air for four years.... never had any limitations. It's a full-blown Mac in all the right ways!

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
I have a 13" 1st gen 2008 air.

it still works, still has good battery life.

ok it is slow with el cap and 2GB ram but it does work.
the original HDD is bit small but not worth upgrading to SSD.

my fiancee uses it to backup her iPhone and iPad.
this is all it does now.

even today it still looks modern and fresh.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Great keynote, I remember it very well. That's what I miss about SJ, his presence during Apple events.
My first, and only, Macbook Air was the one they refreshed in 2012 during WWDC. Good machine, and I still like it, but today I wouldn't buy a Mac without a retina display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.