Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Steve Jobs On Medical Leave, But Still At The Helm

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Steve Jobs has been on medical leave for more than six months and in that time Apple's stock price has risen more than 20 percent. Since he's been gone, according to the San Jose Mercury News, Steve Jobs has relaxed and focused on the big picture -- rather than micromanaging every tiny detail:
"They tell me he calls in regularly. He talks to Tim, he talks to the top guys, he talks about the Apple stores," [analyst Tim Bajarin with Creative Strategies] said. "But while he used to micromanage everything in ways that most CEOs would not, right down to issues with the company cafeteria, the big change with his latest leave is that there's less micromanagement and more management of his executive team and the big-picture issues."
Corporate CEOs are traditionally concerned with big-picture issues. Jobs, though, is famous for being a micromanager: insisting on overseeing even the smallest of details. His detail-oriented focus has seen him actively participate in a number of projects at Apple, efforts that have even resulted in his name appearing on dozens of Apple patent applications.

Since Steve Jobs has been on medical leave, he's leaving more of the day-to-day work to Tim Cook and Apple's hand-picked upper-management team. If Apple's growing stock price is any suggestion, shareholders think having Jobs focus on the big picture is just fine.

Article Link: Steve Jobs On Medical Leave, But Still At The Helm

Last edited by a moderator:

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
It'll be interesting to see how they pass off the role of CEO to (probably) Tim Cook. They have to do it just right or the stock could tank, not that it would do any permanent damage or anything.

Comment

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2007
USA
Even though I know you hate my smartphone platform of choice, I still love you, Steve.

Comment

King Flamez1

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Toronto, Canada
truly an inspiring, revolutionary figure. IMO, his presentations are the best I've ever seen, he saved a company from bankruptcy and he's now the CEO of that company, being one of the best CEOs in the world

Comment

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Makes sense, good opportunity for Cook to get used to the CEO helm while Jobs still makes sure nothing big goes wrong.

Comment

usptact

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2011
Sure, Jobs is not the only driving force at Apple, but anyway - I am very curious to know what will happen to the company in 2-5 years without him...

Comment

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
is this not the same story from months ago?

It is.

It's also a reminder of Jobs' "big picture" role, which is good. He can get creative and leave the day-to-day stuff to Cook et al.

Whether or not he's on leave we tend to see him at big events.

Comment

ouimetnick

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I wish Steve the best. I hope he recovers more, so he can be CEO again. But then again, I hardly think about it, as he still does the Keynotes.

Get well Steve.

Comment

Nicolas4ever

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
wish the best for steve jobs.i love him really , if Tim cook become the CEO i won't be happy , i want Steve jobs to be the CEO for ever

Last edited:
Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
is this not the same story from months ago?

No, he added in 3 obligatory hyphenated terms (and our first double hyphenated term) and a typo, as usual.

I get the idea of the blog but at least put a little effort into the subject matter. Wasteful post.

Comment

taylortm

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
California, USA
Glad he cares about the cafeteria!

"But while he used to micromanage everything in ways that most CEOs would not, right down to issues with the company cafeteria."

I've eaten at that cafeteria. It rocks. Great food. Complete (big) lunch for like 5 bucks.

Most notable thing: discarding your trash is challenging due to the fact there are separate bins for garbage, recycle, and compost!

Comment

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Wish more CEO's had as much passion in their company as Steve does. It really is his child.

Comment

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Quality rumours is better then quantity of rumours.
Just like quality of PC's (Apple high quality) is better then quantity of PC's (everyone else).

A lesson Apple learnt a long time ago. And one MacRumors needs to learn still.

Comment

aknabi

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2011
wish the best for steve jobs.i love him really , if Tim cook become the CEO i won't be happy , i want Steve jobs to be the CEO for ever

and ever and ever... hi I am like 13 years old and put hello kitty stickers on my iPhone... and wait every night for Steve Jobs to call me on it

Comment

schaffinosx

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
The way I see it, Steve Jobs simply doesn't want to accept that he's eventually going to have to let the company run without him. And I don't blame him. He's the heart and soul of Apple, and all of his accomplishments in his life can be summed up by one word: Apple.

I know very little about Tim Cook, but I trust that Steve Jobs won't let any random individual take over his baby. Whoever he picks to succeed him, I trust that that individual will do an excellent job running the company.

Comment

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Stang68 said:
Even though I know you hate my smartphone platform of choice, I still love you, Steve.

Are you rocking the ESPN phone? :D

Comment

R0bert

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2005
It'll be interesting to see how they pass off the role of CEO to (probably) Tim Cook. They have to do it just right or the stock could tank, not that it would do any permanent damage or anything.

Tim Cook is an operations guy, not a visionary leader. A better choice would be Steve Jobs apprentice Scott Forstall but he's not ready yet.

Comment

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
I can't believe all the lipstick smeared on this story.

A guy surrenders day to day operations of a company and the stock goes up 20% in value. :eek:

What am I missing?

Comment

davie18

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
Just like quality of PC's (Apple high quality) is better then quantity of PC's (everyone else).
Lol 'everyone else'.

Nice to see you just put so many companies together there, presuming they all have the exact same goals.

Comment

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Tim Cook is an operations guy, not a visionary leader. A better choice would be Steve Jobs apprentice Scott Forstall but he's not ready yet.

Cook know he's not a visionary, which is why he has learned what have made Apple successful under Jobs and now he can emulate that. Cook is the best bet for next Apple CEO.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.