Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

141521-economy_for_ipad.jpg

Economy for iPad
Apple CEO Steve Jobs' responses to customer emails are well-known and given great attention as official "from the horse's mouth" statements regarding Apple's products and plans, despite the fact that many of his statements are brief and vague enough to give away little information. According to The Seattle Times, however, Jobs has gone a step further and telephoned a developer who wrote him an email after having his iPad application rejected from the App Store for using a private application programming interface (API).
Frustrated by Apple's rejection of his iPad app, Seattle developer Ram Arumugam e-mailed Chief Executive Steve Jobs. Two hours later, he picked up a phone call and heard: "Ram, this is Steve." Jobs was on the other end.

The two talked about Arumugam's app, called "Economy for iPad," and why it was rejected by Apple.
Arumugam, a former Microsoft employee now heading up a company developing iOS applications, and Jobs discussed the developer's usage of a private API to deal with what Arumugam considered to be a bug in the behavior of the iPad's on-screen keyboard. At the conclusion of the discussion, Arumugam agreed to remove the private API, and Economy for iPad was quickly accepted into the App Store.

Jobs' phone call is not the first time an Apple executive has directly intervened in the App Store review process, as senior vice president Phil Schiller has been known to reply via email and telephone in rare cases related to App Store issues.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Phones Developer of Rejected iPad Application

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Does Steve do much at apple anymore? No wonder they only pay him a dollar a year he's just answering his email :p

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
Good customer service, I guess, but I still disagree with the walled-garden stance that Apple is taking towards their app store. Really, though, the developer shouldn't have been surprised about the rejection, as the use of custom API's is plainly stated in the submission guidelines as being not allowed.

kdarling

macrumors P6
The trouble with a CEO responding to something like this is that they usually don't know the topic.

Unlike someone like Gates, Jobs isn't a programmer. Never was.

If Jobs actually ever tried to develop iPhone / iPad apps, he might've had a quite different perspective. Or not.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Good customer service, I guess, but I still disagree with the walled-garden stance that Apple is taking towards their app store. Really, though, the developer shouldn't have been surprised about the rejection, as the use of custom API's is plainly stated in the submission guidelines as being not allowed.

The micro-managing Steve does probably drives many in the company nutz. While I agree he is very smart and has great concepts, and I love apple products, with all respect the guy "comes across" as a complete ego maniac control freak.

RTee

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Australia
The trouble with a CEO responding to something like this is that they usually don't know the topic.

Unlike someone like Gates, Jobs isn't a programmer. Never was.

If Jobs actually ever tried to develop iPhone / iPad apps, he might've had a quite different perspective. Or not.

What you think Steve doesn't know what his talking about? I'm pretty sure he does programmer or not!

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
That sure was nice of him. I've gotten a call from a few people at Apple before about apps I've submitted.

One time a guy left a message and his name was Steve, but sadly his last name didn't start with a J. :(

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Wow... I'm impressed. Hat's off to Jobs for going that extra mile.

I'm really surprised at some of the comments by the forum people... how could you see this as a bad thing in any shape or form? It's impressive when a CEO... especially someone the caliper of SJ's is willing to answer a flame mail in person on the phone and explain the companies position. That's is amazing that Steve cares enough to address the concern directly.

Peter.Howard

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Australia.
"Some say that he wears his turtlenecks to bed at night, and that he is incapable of sending emails longer than one sentence in length. All we know is, he's called The Steve."
Black_stig.jpg

Maybe I have watched too many Steve annoucement videos but he seems to only own one black turtleneck sweater.

Has anyone else noticed that?

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Maybe I have watched too many Steve annoucement videos but he seems to only own one black turtleneck sweater.

Has anyone else noticed that?

I remember reading somewhere that he doesn't care about how he looks so he wears the same clothes each day. Apparently he has many of those turtlenecks but they are the same sweater.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.