Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

120420-jobs_ipad_2_intro.jpg

Forbes today released its annual list of the world's billionaires, ranking Apple CEO Steve Jobs in a tie for 110th place with a net worth of $8.3 billion. Jobs' net worth is up from $5.5 billion and 136th place in last year's rankings. Jobs' net worth also ranks 34th among billionaires in the United States.
In March the Apple founder made a surprise appearance at the unveiling of his iPad 2, after taking medical leave in January. Insanely creative Apple chief transforms a multibillion-dollar industry every few years. First, personal computers with Apple II, Macintosh; then film with Pixar; music (iTunes), mobile (iPhone). Now iPad is treated as messiah tablet, savior for publishing industry. Apple still sells computers, but twice as much revenue now comes from music distribution and hand-held devices. Shot past long-time rival Microsoft as world's most valuable tech company in May. Shares of Apple surged more than 80% over the last year. Still, the majority of Job's fortune comes from Disney; as largest shareholder he owns about $4.4 billion of stock. Reed College dropout founded Apple 1976.
Mexican telecommunications tycoon Carlos Slim Helu holds the top spot for the second consecutive year with a net worth of $74 billion, easily outdistancing Microsoft founder Bill Gates and his $56 billion fortune. Despite strong growth in the fortunes of other billionaires, Gates' net worth has remained relatively stable over the past few years as he and his wife Melinda have siphoned off over $28 billion to support their foundation's philanthropic endeavors.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Ranked World's 110th Richest Person With Net Worth of $8.3 Billion

SixPenceRicher

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
$8.3B isn't anything to sneeze at... I think another appropriate metric is what kind of total wealth -- personal and attributed to their specific companies, employees, and shareholders (their ecosystems) -- was generated by each individual. I'd be willing to bet that Steve and Bill come out damn near the top, if not the top.

Gaelinic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2009
Yet he doesn't give a dime away. He is still regarded as one of the worst billionaire philanthropists. He eliminated corporate philanthropy when he took over in 1997. He may be a visionary and industrial leader. However, he is a poor leader if he is not willing to speak about charity.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I believe I should get a percentage of that considering I have convinced 4 families in the past year to convert to Mac :D

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
I'm gonna make a very ****** comment now, but I feel it's one of those facts in life we cannot deny.

I'm not very rich, but I'm healthy.

Gaelinic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2009
I'm gonna make a very ****** comment now, but I feel it's one of those facts in life we cannot deny.

I'm not very rich, but I'm healthy.

They say the rich aren't happy. I've tried poor people's problems. I'm willing to give rich people's hardships a try.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Gotta love capitalism and the illusion of the free market.

$8.6 Billion! That's roughly a dollar for every person on the planet. Good for him, he's worked hard to get there. Yet, damn, that's an insane amount of money.

I often wonder, how can you justify someone who works three jobs and can't afford the $400,000 for a college degree let alone a masters (and get ready for the next financial bubble, the student loans crisis), and can barely make ends meet while executives/the white collar sect (who generally get in through family connections and money coughGWBcoughcough,) coast through life with a silver spoon? The fundamentals of our economy are not strong, we ignore it but classism is alive and well in the US, especially as the middle class is shrinking and it's become extremely difficult for small businesses to compete against the Walmarts/BestBuys/Targets/Pottery Barn's of the world.

I'm sure I'll get ripped for stating this, but it's always perplexed me a bit.

PS As the Oscar winners for the documentary on the last financial crisis pointed out, not ONE executive has been in jail for what occurred. Not ONE.

Last edited by a moderator:

douglaswilliams

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
Oklahoma
Yet he doesn't give a dime away. He is still regarded as one of the worst billionaire philanthropists. He eliminated corporate philanthropy when he took over in 1997. He may be a visionary and industrial leader. However, he is a poor leader if he is not willing to speak about charity.

Why do you think he should give to charity, or anyone? It's his money and he can keep it if he wants.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010

He does seem to be really tight with money, he also doesn't give dividends to shareholders, opting to save the money for something. Maybe he wishes to contribute to the world simply by creating great products (giving some iPad 2s away to our hurting schools would be nice). I have a ton of respect for Steve but do wonder why he doesn't do more for charity.

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
28 billion in philanthropy by Bill over the last few years, holy ****. If my entire county gave away that much we'd be broker than the United States.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007

Well, that kind of sleazy remark was inevitable.
Jobs is 1) still actively running the most successful corporation in the world, and 2) fighting a life threatening disease.

If you're Bill Gates (bless his retired little heart), you have all the time in the world to run a charity.
Wait until Steve pulls through his illness and hopefully lives into a full retirement, and then judge his charitable actions.

Reddmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
He does seem to be really tight with money, he also doesn't give dividends to shareholders, opting to save the money for something. Maybe he wishes to contribute to the world simply by creating great products (giving some iPad 2s away to our hurting schools would be nice). I have a ton of respect for Steve but do wonder why he doesn't do more for charity.

How do people know what he does with his money? Isn't is possible he gives money to charity anonymously?

camelsnot

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
and an ego to match.

Say what you will about Microsoft and Gates, but he does offer up a lot of his money and time to charities (including establishing his own). it is a shame $teve doesn't share that same enthusiasm for helping his fellow man, but in the end he's more concerned with running a tight ship and checking his bank account each night. But hey.. people seem to still love him and his products, so being selfish and egotistical does pay off.

I'll be buying an ipad2 tomorrow, along with others, in a bid to get him at least in the top 100 before he croaks. YOU CAN DO IT STEVE!!! :apple:

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US

Steve really doesn't do anything that doesn't directly relate to Apple. That's his life.

richardsonrs

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

jaison13 said:

did you not read the whole article? it say's he has siphoned off 28 billion of his net worth for his philanthropic foundation!!

Clearly you did not. Bill Gates siphoned off 28B. 3.5 times stevies net worth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.