Steve Jobs says hold it different - It's true

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by realeric, Jun 28, 2010.

1. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

Jobs said

Jobs’ solution to hold the phone differently is a bit unreasonable. But I found the following picture on the Samsung Galaxy S manual. What do you think about it?

2. The Mad Mule macrumors regular

It depends on the phone. I can grip my BB Curve 8330 anyway, and the signal never dips erratically.

3. Bosep macrumors regular

Well, you should never hold tight over the antenna, the problem with the iphone 4 is that you don't need to hold tight, just "connect" the two antennas to get some problem :/

For me, this will not be a problem, but what I don't get is why apple did this, it's never good to have people complain about a problem that might not even be a problem. it's bad publicity even though it might not be a real problem when using it normally.

Stupid decision.

4. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

*yawn*
    Thanks for the image, but anything new to add?

5. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

The problem is, holding the iPhone 4 as in the image on the left (ie the "recommended" way for that Samsung) is precisely how to cause the drop in signal. Your palm touches the bottom left corner of the phone. I can't really imagine anyone holding the phone as in the right - that's just a red herring.

6. mrochester macrumors 65816

I've tried holding my 3GS as shown in the image. It places my thumb far too far up the device that I cannot use it. I have to grip my phone lower down to be able to use it, which on the iPhone 4 would kill the signal. It's either a design flaw, or a very poor design decision.

7. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Agreed. You should be able to use it with just one hand, your thumb able to navigate he screen and easily reach the side buttons. And also, in my opinion, you should be able to somewhat support the phone with your palm slightly under one corner (just as shown in almost all of apple's promo photos/videos).

Bottom line is you should be able to hold it HOWEVER you want to without dropping calls or going from full bars to one (or none). Hopefully Apple will surprise us this week with a simple fix.

8. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Once again Steve Jobs is a trend setter. Yesterday right after I concluded the deal for my new Mercedes, the dealer stopped me as I was driving it off the lot. He said, oh by the way, to avoid hearing wind noise don't ever drive faster than 40 m.p.h.

I thought to myself hmm ... makes sense.

9. sneezymarble macrumors 6502

A better analogy is this. The dealer stopped you as you were driving your new Mercedes of the lot and said "Oh, by the way, to keep the tires from exploding don't ever drive faster than 40 mph.".

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I still can NOT believe that the iPhone 4 testers did not report this early!

Heck the guy who left the iPhone 4 at the bar did not do it by accident, he just got tired of dropped calls if he did not hold it right! When you are drunk . . . . . .:eek:

11. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

How do you know they didn't report it? I'm assuming you never worked in any sort of QA (quality assurance) department. Just because an issue is documented does not mean it's going to be fixed... Welcome to the world of business.

12. buckyballs macrumors regular

I'm guessing it wasn't caught. The testers who removed the phones from the Apple campus for field testing (like the guy who left it in the bar) were forced to carry them around in cases that make them look like a 3GS. We already know that cases stop the issue (since your hand can't conduct across the antennas)

13. Apple iMe macrumors newbie

Are we still talking about this?

I can honestly say that this has not affected me AT ALL.

Never had a dropped call and the sound clarity whilst on a call is absolutely superb. Loud and crisp. Much better than my 3GS.

14. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

After they discovered the issue is when they made the bumpers. Isn't it kinda weird that no other color is available right now and very limited on black? It's because they were made at the last minute.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Unless my iPhone 4 is lying to me, I can't get the bars to drop when I hold it like on the right.

3rd way common way of holding it is with the right hand, your first three fingers flat on the back and your pinkie supporting the bottom of the phone. This method allows you to type with your thumb.

Holding with the left hand and typing with the right index finger annoys me. I'd rather type with two thumbs than do this.

16. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I have seen the orange one in the wild... yesterday in Glasgow...

17. mrochester macrumors 65816

In both pictures it would be the left thumb doing the controlling. The right hand wouldn't come into it at all. In the left picture, the hand is too far up the device, meaning your thumb can't reach all parts of the screen and home button. You need to hold the device further down to be able to control it properly. But doing so will kill off your signal. It's either a design flaw, or a very poor design decision.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's what they imply, but most people are right-handed so they'll either type with the right index finger or switch to the right hand and type with the right thumb.

The picture on the right is unrealistic anyway because the fingers are blocking the screen.

19. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

"If you have to hold your phone a special way, you've failed."

-What Steve Jobs should be saying

20. mrochester macrumors 65816

I'm right handed and I hold and control my phone mostly with my left hand, sometimes 2 hands. A design that excludes people who hold their phones in their left hand is a major major failing, regardless of whether they are in the minority or not!

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I guess you're in the minority. Typing with the left hand is awkward for many right-handed people.

22. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

sooooo because it has not affected you that means no one can talk about it???? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Obviously it's a BIG issue to those that have this problem, so get used to the chatter until it's fixed.

23. Fuchal macrumors 68020

If you type with 2 thumbs, you have to hold it further down and your signal is blocked out.

24. mrochester macrumors 65816

I appreciate that, but ultimately, that doesn't wash as an excuse with me.

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not necessarily, I still hold it at the top but support the bottom with my right pinkie.

Either way, I still can't get the signal to attenuate even when I hold it in the most detrimental way. This is just like the freezing iMacs, affects some people but not others.