Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal reports that despite his medical leave, Steve Jobs has remained very involved in Apple's strategies and planning:
Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook runs the day-to-day operations at Apple, these people say. But Mr. Jobs has continued to work on the company's most important strategies and products from home, they say. He regularly reviews products and product plans, and was particularly involved in the user interface of the new iPhone operating system that Apple unveiled last month, these people say.
Apple announced in January that Steve Jobs would take a medical leave of absence from the company until June and that Tim Cook would take over day-to-day operations.

According to the Wall Street Journal's sources, Apple remains "much the same" as before Steve Jobs' departure and Jobs is still expected to return to Apple in June. Jobs reportedly did not respond to requests for comment but Apple spokesman Steve Dowling is quoted as saying "Steve continues to look forward to returning to Apple at the end of June."

Article Link: Steve Jobs Still Involved in Apple, Still Expected to Return in June

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
Well, that's good to hear, sounds like at least he isn't getting sicker.

And that is not from a "steve is my Messiah" standpoint, but rather just glad to see that he, as a human being, is still healthy.

And I don't blame him for still working many of the products and strategies. One does not just quit an awesome job like that cold turkey...

Theaser

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
I don't believe it. Was he supervising the creation of the latest iPod Shuffle?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I hope his health gets better. Seriously, the guy probably works hard every single day. How could he not? He has Apple to worry about, as well as his Disney stock. ;)

Having said that, I hope he retires from Apple soon. He won't, but I wish he did. I want change.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Having said that, I hope he retires from Apple soon. He won't, but I wish he did. I want change.

Interesting comment. I'm not sure what "change" needs to come to Apple, seeing as they're doing the best they've done in the past well... nearly 30 years! The improvements that Apple has experienced has been solely thanks to Steve Jobs returning to the company.

Yes, he is getting older, and yes, I think it would be good for him to retire on a high note, but I don't think that time is now. Apple's got some great things in the pipeline and as Steve slowly makes his transition out from Apple, they'll be sitting on top. Everyone will know that, despite his not being there anymore, Steve Jobs helped put Apple at the top of their game, and his work is finally done.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
please get well soon steve! hope you're having the best time with your family.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Interesting comment. I'm not sure what "change" needs to come to Apple, seeing as they're doing the best they've done in the past well... nearly 30 years! The improvements that Apple has experienced has been solely thanks to Steve Jobs returning to the company.

I of course don't know what Abstract was alluding to, but a lot of people believe that Apple is becoming increasingly arrogant (such as "you may not put apps that we haven't approved on your own iPod") and hope that they can be come a bit more "open".

Mintin8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2009
United Kingdom
I of course don't know what Abstract was alluding to, but a lot of people believe that Apple is becoming increasingly arrogant (such as "you may not put apps that we haven't approved on your own iPod") and hope that they can be come a bit more "open".

Yeah, I've heard a lot of people calling Apple arrogant lately. Maybe change is a good thing, but not yet. I have a feeling that Steve has something good planned.

SydneyDev

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
I'm glad he is reviewing the GUIs. When I use the GUIs of other companies (that shall remain nameless) I often find myself wondering "What were they thinking?"

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007

I hope Steve comes back soon. Also that they don't become more 'open'.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005

Hang on, which company actually allows unsigned applications to be put on their cellphones? As far as I know every company has a similar system if they have an appstore kind of thing.

mdodd

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2007
Montclair, NJ
Don't really understand how Steve "was particularly involved in the user interface of the new iPhone operating system" considering the user interface differences between 2.0 and 3.0 are relatively minor and revolve around tweaking of features.

But if there is some truth to this-- right on!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hang on, which company actually allows unsigned applications to be put on their cellphones? As far as I know every company has a similar system if they have an appstore kind of thing.

Um ... Window Mobile does. There is no signing I'm aware of - but I detest that system. Nokia's S60 requires it but you can turn it off on the phone which most apps can be installed - if not hack it.

This is GREAT news for Steve Jobs' status of company interaction. However, I worry that the "invisible/imaginary/god-like syndrome" will occur when he doesn't return in June.

Personally I'd love for his first public speech presentation to feature (in Keynote) how he was able to remote into company XServes; and any major partnership deals in the works. I do hope he's been following the Microsoft onslaught and stabs at Apple computers' pricing. Again I saw Apple has to ingeniously highlight just what you pay for ... showing the world what the experience is like when you take your Mac home & unbox it; use it first day (ALL family members), use it the first week, and the first month. Show the warmth of interaction and the commadre of the community will to help you out.

I'd wager the quality of the system and the apps you take advantage from make the Mac & OS X MUCH MUCH cheaper than Windows XP or Vista or Windows Seven + purchasing Roxio/Adobe Premier + Photoshop just to get close or better than iPhoto.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

BTW< what Nermal is refering to is the intense focus of CONTROL of installing apps on your warranty supported iPhone/iPod Touch without hacking it to install ANY application you choose thats available. Symbian OS (S60, formerly UIQ, and MOAP), Windows Mobile, or Palm OS or Android do NOT force restrictions.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
BTW< what Nermal is refering to is the intense focus of CONTROL of installing apps on your warranty supported iPhone/iPod Touch without hacking it to install ANY application you choose thats available. Symbian OS (S60, formerly UIQ, and MOAP), Windows Mobile, or Palm OS or Android do NOT force restrictions.

I think the iPhone/iPod touch should be able to install apps from anywhere without Apple's approval -- we have that option everyday on our computers. However, I do see that the App Store should have an approval process, as it does. What I don't see or agree with is the comment that this is Steve Jobs' doing and that we "shouldn't hope" to see him in June again.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003

Heard of any iPhone viruses lately? Oh yeah, that's right. The only iPhone malware out there is for jailbroken iPhones.

Perhaps "a lot of people" are mistaking Apple's efforts to keep the iPhone free of security issues and viruses as arrogance. It has been Apple's stated goal from the start to keep malicious software off the iPhone. Seems to me they're doing a pretty good job so far. Odd that those kinds of measures taken in the interests of their customers is labelled arrogance.

VicMacs

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
Dominican Republic
to Steve:

Do what the doctors say :) dont listen to anyone else. We're not going anywhere. Come back to Apple when you're 110%. Rest and enjoy the time off.

Coming from a doctor ;)

Wikinerd

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008

None, but the point is that Apple is one of the first to reject masses of non-malicious apps...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.