Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trajectory

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2005
Earth
I just realized where Steve Jobs has been all this time. He was hired by the ad firm who created Microsoft's new "Laptop Hunter" ads! He actually created the ads! I mean, why else would Microsoft spend millions on an ad that advertises Apple computers as being "hip" and "sexy"?

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Heard of any iPhone viruses lately? Oh yeah, that's right. The only iPhone malware out there is for jailbroken iPhones.

Perhaps "a lot of people" are mistaking Apple's efforts to keep the iPhone free of security issues and viruses as arrogance. It has been Apple's stated goal from the start to keep malicious software off the iPhone. Seems to me they're doing a pretty good job so far. Odd that those kinds of measures taken in the interests of their customers is labelled arrogance.

Agreed. If you want to put 3rd party apps onto your own phone, jailbreak it. I agree with Apple's decision to keep the iPhone/touch closed. They have always had a tight control over their products which is one of the reasons why Apple's user experience is so good. Imagine if Apple did not stop jailbreaking, then many would download apps they see on a random website that bricks their phone or restarts Springboard or gives the SWOD. The whole saying 'it just works' would be dilute and Apple products would have a reputation of being unstable and crappy.

Also, I don't know if it was a good thing to reveal that Steve Jobs had an active role in the company during his leave. Things seemed to go pretty smoothly when Steve was gone, but now we hear that Steve was helping the whole time. Many will get the continue to think that Steve equals Apple equals Steve which is not good for the company should he really retire.

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
Perhaps "a lot of people" are mistaking Apple's efforts to keep the iPhone free of security issues and viruses as arrogance. It has been Apple's stated goal from the start to keep malicious software off the iPhone. Seems to me they're doing a pretty good job so far. Odd that those kinds of measures taken in the interests of their customers is labelled arrogance.

my thoughts too except for the "arrogance" thing. it must not necessarily be connected to the app store or their attitude towards controlling EVERY product and "add-on" thats "officially" distributed by apple.

apple ist quiete self-confident, but sometimes, it feels more like arrogance. especially if +50% of your "public statements" imply that "the rest" (ms, whoever) of your competitors make bad products, and therfor you are the only one who knows how ANYTHING should be made...

i don't have an example right now, it is just a feeling i got.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
They're saying end of June so people won't expect him at WWDC - but he could make an surprise appearance. ;)

wonderkid

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2005
There may be method in their madness...

I don't believe it. Was he supervising the creation of the latest iPod Shuffle?

Interesting thought. Having now seen the new shuffle in person (it is tiny!), I have concluded that like AppleTV, this is an experimental product. Apple are probably test marketing voice based user interfaces, whether it means you talk to the device and/or it talks to you. They may be encouraging people to move towards a new paradigm. However, for most of us without sight problems, there is no faster way to navigate data than browsing a list - something most DPad equipped mobile phones and screen based iPod models do well.

I mentioned the size at the start, because when you see it, you realise it could easily be hidden on your person and be fiddly to glance at. It is possible Apple will launch a new type of remote with a display that you can wear on your wrist etc? Perhaps the new shuffle has hidden Bluetooth like the iPod Touch?

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I think this is a very strange article by the WSJ. If it is true, what exactly has changed then? He's making all the important decisions still, but just from home? How can this be a medical leave, then? If this indeed is the truth, then it's probably best for him to just continue what he's doing. We wouldn't want him to come back, get buried in minutia, and get himself sick again.

applecultvictim

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2009
These are the best news over the past few months, for sure.

To Steve:

Steve you are a great inspiration to everyone with your strength and determination for life, as you have been too with your vision and vigor for apple. Everyone who knows anything about anything is extending their warmest regards to you and is expecting you in the wwdc keynote where iphone 3.0 blows all the contenders away, or whenever you see fit to return to the public eye. It's been a great and fun journey so far and we are looking forward to part II.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
I don't believe it. Was he supervising the creation of the latest iPod Shuffle?

I would imagine the new shuffle was designed and prototyped while he was still there... I understand your point though. Not used the new shuffle so can't really comment on if its any good or not. Design wise though it seems ok.

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
Steve Jobs has proven himself as the heart and soul of Apple. It would be a delight to have him back. (And I never thought that about John Sculley.)

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Steve, you're an incredible, inspiring person. I wish you the best. Get well soon. :)

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I hope Steve's health is improving. I look forward to seeing him back at Apple.

northy014

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2008
I reckon Steve will let the keynote at WWDC go to Phil Schiller, or another of his little minions, as further proof that Apple can run without him when the time comes. But a couple of weeks later we'll get the iPhone special event, which will be Jobs's show...

Cleve

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
These are the best news over the past few months, for sure.

To Steve:

Steve you are a great inspiration to everyone with your strength and determination for life, as you have been too with your vision and vigor for apple. Everyone who knows anything about anything is extending their warmest regards to you and is expecting you in the wwdc keynote where iphone 3.0 blows all the contenders away, or whenever you see fit to return to the public eye. It's been a great and fun journey so far and we are looking forward to part II.

I think it will be part 3 at that point

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
I hope his health gets better. Seriously, the guy probably works hard every single day. How could he not? He has Apple to worry about, as well as his Disney stock. ;)

Having said that, I hope he retires from Apple soon. He won't, but I wish he did. I want change.

Yeah keep hoping for change, next we will people driving the company into the ground the last time he left. :rolleyes:

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
I of course don't know what Abstract was alluding to, but a lot of people believe that Apple is becoming increasingly arrogant (such as "you may not put apps that we haven't approved on your own iPod") and hope that they can be come a bit more "open".

LOL at these dudes calling for change like they know how to run multibillion dollar companies, but these days anybody can be internet CEO's.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
BTW< what Nermal is refering to is the intense focus of CONTROL of installing apps on your warranty supported iPhone/iPod Touch without hacking it to install ANY application you choose thats available. Symbian OS (S60, formerly UIQ, and MOAP), Windows Mobile, or Palm OS or Android do NOT force restrictions.

Of course there are restrictions, haven't you heard of apps getting pulled from Android, they recently started pulling tethering apps from the store, so much for this supposed "open land heaven."

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
Heard of any iPhone viruses lately? Oh yeah, that's right. The only iPhone malware out there is for jailbroken iPhones.

Plus studies shows Apple has the most satisfied customers in the industry despite all this not open as people say, I wonder why.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Hang on, which company actually allows unsigned applications to be put on their cellphones? As far as I know every company has a similar system if they have an appstore kind of thing.

Windows Mobile and Palm both allow it. There are thousands of sites on the Web where you can get freeware, shareware and commercial software for your smartphone. You can even write your own.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
LOL at these dudes calling for change like they know how to run multibillion dollar companies, but these days anybody can be internet CEO's.

LOL at these dudes who always disqualify themselves with shallow statements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.