Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

161706-itunes_extras_itunes_lps.jpg

One of the features missing on the new Apple TV launched in September has been support for iTunes Extras and iTunes LPs, two sets of enhanced content available on select iTunes Store purchases.
When you purchase an album with iTunes LP, you receive the songs from the album, plus special features such as lyrics, photos, videos, credits, and more. When you buy a film with iTunes Extras, you'll receive the featured movie and chapter selection along with special features such as movie stills, deleted scenes, exclusive interviews, and behind-the-scenes footage.
Introduced with iTunes 9 in September 2009, iTunes Extras and iTunes LPs made their way to the original Apple TV with the Apple TV 3.0 software update the following month. But with a move to iOS for the new Apple TV, that compatibility has gone missing.

One MacRumors reader recently emailed Apple CEO Steve Jobs to ask about the future of iTunes Extras and iTunes LP on the new Apple TV, and Jobs offered a customarily-brief reply:
Q: I've been a massive fan of the original Apple TV since it launched, in fact I have 2 of my own and have bought a fair few as gifts over the years. So as soon as the new Apple TV was released I bought one. Overall it's a fantastic update for me as I always stream from my Mac mini anyway. But here's the kicker - Where are iTunes Extras and iTunes LP gone? I've purposely been buying content with those features just for my Apple TVs. And now the features are unusable on my new box?! Is there an update coming to fix this?

A: Coming.

Sent from my iPhone.
It is unclear when we might be able to expect support for iTunes Extras and iTunes LP to come to the new Apple TV, but an update for the device is expected alongside the imminent iOS 4.2 update for other iOS devices in order to support AirPlay streaming functionality.

If iTunes Extras and iTunes LPs do make the transition to the new iOS-based Apple TV, it seems natural that they could also make their way to other iOS devices such as the iPad at some point. The iPad was seen as a strong opportunity for Apple to promote iTunes LPs in particular, offering users the ability to experience the enhanced content on a tablet-sized screen right in their hands, but iTunes LPs remain unsupported on the iPad and limited to only iTunes on Mac and PC.

Article Link: Steve Jobs: Support for iTunes Extras and iTunes LP 'Coming' to New Apple TV

myke323

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
I love how the guy starts off with about 5 sentences of complete kiss-ass before he asks the question...

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
I love how the guy starts off with about 5 sentences of complete kiss-ass before he asks the question...

right. And buying iTunes LP and Extras content exclusively for AppleTV is just dumb. This guy is an idiot.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
These "Steve Jobs says" stories are creepy - I cringe at every thread that starts with some variation of "Steve Jobs <active verb>"....

suss2it

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
right. And buying iTunes LP and Extras content exclusively for AppleTV is just dumb. This guy is an idiot.
How so? Isn't that what they're for? iTunes Extras especially since it basically mimics a DVD menu and its extras.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
How so? Isn't that what they're for? iTunes Extras especially since it basically mimics a DVD menu and its extras.

because you are tied down to an apple device. What if you wanted to watch video on your tv and didn't have an apple device? You wouldn't be able to watch anything!

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
good to hear. I was just thinking about that as I bought toy story 3 today.... Hopefully the extras will run smoother than on the original atv, sometimes it took a while to load it all up.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
How about finally getting that content on the iPhone and iPod touch? It would be really nice to see the lyrics for albums as the songs are playing on my iPod. Without iPod and AppleTV support, iTunes plus is pretty lame.

SiPat

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Coming... can mean a lot of things -- SJ could have been spending some recreational time with his missus and maybe this is how he keeps score, emailing himself and sent it to this other guy in error.

Aug 26, 2008

Steve knows his answer will get out. It's free marketing. It's a gushing happy customer testimonial in email form, so he responds, knowing a little information and free advertising will result from his answer.

I don't think it's always the case that he answers these types of emails, but they seem to be majority, and I'm sure that's one reason.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Coming... can mean a lot of things -- SJ could have been spending some recreational time with his missus and maybe this is how he keeps score, emailing himself and sent it to this other guy in error.

Hahahahahahaha! I could not stop laughing when I read this.

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
because you are tied down to an apple device. What if you wanted to watch video on your tv and didn't have an apple device? You wouldn't be able to watch anything!

What are you talking about? This is iTunes extras designed for Apple devices (iTunes, original ATV and now hopefully the new ATV). Just like the movies that come with them, they can't be played on anything else.
if you don't want to be tied down to these devices, move along. Nothing to see here.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
good to hear. I was just thinking about that as I bought toy story 3 today.... Hopefully the extras will run smoother than on the original atv, sometimes it took a while to load it all up.

My dad got one of the new Apple TVs after I thought the original one he had was just royally sucking. Well it probably was, but half the problem was an external HDD not turned on.

Anywho, you're totally right about the taking ... a ... while ... to ... load. Sometimes you hit a button on it and it may get around to doing something in 30 seconds. The first Apple TV is the definition of a 1.0 product. Thankfully the new one seems to work much better, especially after ditching hard disks for flash/streaming.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

Assuming this isn't just a complete farce, the guy means he bought iTunes LP content so he could see it on his TV, which he thought he could do through his :apple:TV. There is always an inexpensive way to get your computer "stuff" onto your TV, it is called a video cable. HDMI, VGA, DVI, whatever your equipment requires.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
Assuming this isn't just a complete farce, the guy means he bought iTunes LP content so he could see it on his TV, which he thought he could do through his :apple:TV. There is always an inexpensive way to get your computer "stuff" onto your TV, it is called a video cable. HDMI, VGA, DVI, whatever your equipment requires.

far more difficult if you computer is several rooms away.

and hdmi cables or like $50, 2 of them and you have an apple tv!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.