Steve Jobs: Support for iTunes Extras and iTunes LP 'Coming' to New Apple TV

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 2, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the features missing on the new Apple TV launched in September has been support for iTunes Extras and iTunes LPs, two sets of enhanced content available on select iTunes Store purchases.
    Introduced with iTunes 9 in September 2009, iTunes Extras and iTunes LPs made their way to the original Apple TV with the Apple TV 3.0 software update the following month. But with a move to iOS for the new Apple TV, that compatibility has gone missing.

One MacRumors reader recently emailed Apple CEO Steve Jobs to ask about the future of iTunes Extras and iTunes LP on the new Apple TV, and Jobs offered a customarily-brief reply:
    It is unclear when we might be able to expect support for iTunes Extras and iTunes LP to come to the new Apple TV, but an update for the device is expected alongside the imminent iOS 4.2 update for other iOS devices in order to support AirPlay streaming functionality.

If iTunes Extras and iTunes LPs do make the transition to the new iOS-based Apple TV, it seems natural that they could also make their way to other iOS devices such as the iPad at some point. The iPad was seen as a strong opportunity for Apple to promote iTunes LPs in particular, offering users the ability to experience the enhanced content on a tablet-sized screen right in their hands, but iTunes LPs remain unsupported on the iPad and limited to only iTunes on Mac and PC.

Article Link: Steve Jobs: Support for iTunes Extras and iTunes LP 'Coming' to New Apple TV

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Steve always knows how to respond to things. Short and sweet.

3. Poll Smoker macrumors 6502a

Poll Smoker

I look forward to the day when Apple products work with other Apple products.

4. myke323 macrumors regular

I love how the guy starts off with about 5 sentences of complete kiss-ass before he asks the question...

5. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

right. And buying iTunes LP and Extras content exclusively for AppleTV is just dumb. This guy is an idiot.

6. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

These "Steve Jobs says" stories are creepy - I cringe at every thread that starts with some variation of "Steve Jobs <active verb>"....

7. suss2it macrumors regular

How so? Isn't that what they're for? iTunes Extras especially since it basically mimics a DVD menu and its extras.

8. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

Cool. Now make it so developers and make apps for the Apple TV

9. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

because you are tied down to an apple device. What if you wanted to watch video on your tv and didn't have an apple device? You wouldn't be able to watch anything!

10. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

good to hear. I was just thinking about that as I bought toy story 3 today.... Hopefully the extras will run smoother than on the original atv, sometimes it took a while to load it all up.

11. 314631 macrumors 6502a

Some of us (myself included) are quite happy being tied down to Apple devices. :)

12. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

How about finally getting that content on the iPhone and iPod touch? It would be really nice to see the lyrics for albums as the songs are playing on my iPod. Without iPod and AppleTV support, iTunes plus is pretty lame.

13. SiPat macrumors regular

Coming... can mean a lot of things -- SJ could have been spending some recreational time with his missus and maybe this is how he keeps score, emailing himself and sent it to this other guy in error.

14. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

right. but if you are, then you can't watch extras of your movies on your tv.

15. TennisandMusic

Steve knows his answer will get out. It's free marketing. It's a gushing happy customer testimonial in email form, so he responds, knowing a little information and free advertising will result from his answer.

I don't think it's always the case that he answers these types of emails, but they seem to be majority, and I'm sure that's one reason.

16. pcharles macrumors regular

I think we can safely say this is yet another fake email.

17. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Hahahahahahaha! I could not stop laughing when I read this.

18. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

When the time is right.

- Bruce

19. bucksaddle macrumors 6502

What are you talking about? This is iTunes extras designed for Apple devices (iTunes, original ATV and now hopefully the new ATV). Just like the movies that come with them, they can't be played on anything else.
    if you don't want to be tied down to these devices, move along. Nothing to see here.

20. Zander-Fragile macrumors newbie

How are these comments helpful? Get over yourself.

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

My dad got one of the new Apple TVs after I thought the original one he had was just royally sucking. Well it probably was, but half the problem was an external HDD not turned on.

Anywho, you're totally right about the taking ... a ... while ... to ... load. Sometimes you hit a button on it and it may get around to doing something in 30 seconds. The first Apple TV is the definition of a 1.0 product. Thankfully the new one seems to work much better, especially after ditching hard disks for flash/streaming.

22. Mattsasa macrumors 68020

Mattsasa

how come steve jobs won't return any of my emails?

23. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

- Your subject is too long.
    - Your E-Mail is too long.
    - You didn't worship Apple in the E-Mail.

24. JAT macrumors 603

Assuming this isn't just a complete farce, the guy means he bought iTunes LP content so he could see it on his TV, which he thought he could do through his :apple:TV. There is always an inexpensive way to get your computer "stuff" onto your TV, it is called a video cable. HDMI, VGA, DVI, whatever your equipment requires.

25. Mattsasa macrumors 68020

Mattsasa

far more difficult if you computer is several rooms away.

and hdmi cables or like $50, 2 of them and you have an apple tv!