Steve Jobs & The Homeless

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Fontenette Yo!, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Fontenette Yo! macrumors regular

Fontenette Yo!

So I was at a local hookah bar(flavored tobacco smoking) in my home town listening to an amazing DJ and downloading his newest cd on my Macbook at the same time. During these events an interesting homeless(im talking professionally homeless with the 3 year old beard and everthing) man came in and asked the bar staff if they could fill his jug with water. I can't remember whether or not they gave it to him but he eventually left. An hour later (we left at about 12:15 a.m). my friends and I walk outside and we see this very same man with a stroller and an iPod and he is jammin out. My friends can't help but laugh but then we started to wonder how he charges it and how he came about having it in the first place. He looked fairly old and after the study I did on the homeless last year I could tell he had been so for at least 5 years or more.

Comments on this please.

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Anecdote is now a discussion!

3. Fontenette Yo! thread starter macrumors regular

Fontenette Yo!

Well I know its a bit of a tale but I was just wondering what other people thought of this.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

And the Steve Jobs part of it? :confused:
    I thought I was going to read some story of him kicking homeless people off his property or something like that… ;)

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Just joshing you Fontenette Yo! ;). I guess old homeless dudes like music too. He might be mentally ill and has accommodation in a shelter or a home nearby.

6. Fontenette Yo! thread starter macrumors regular

Fontenette Yo!

It was to do with the fact that of all of the possible media players he gets he gets an iPod. Apples advertisement must hit a chord with all middle aged homeless men.

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I'm still not quite with you… but… OK. :eek:

Maybe he just found it in the gutter and the battery hadn't run out yet. Or perhaps the battery was dead and the music is all in his mind…

;)

8. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

When I'm in a mall and my ipod is about to die, I put it in one of the speakers at FYE to charge it, I say I'm just seeing how it fits. I know the charge won't last really long but if I'm bored I'll do that. So I'm sure he could have did the same.

9. The Doctor macrumors member

The Doctor

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

found it in the trash? found it in the street? who knows. could've asked him.

and this means nothing about advertising or anything. you know nothing about this individual.

11. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Funny you should say that -- I saw a homeless guy in the park the other day, pushing a huge cart with TONS of empty bottles in them. He was also hardcore homeless -- long beard, very dirty, the works.

And...he was talking to someone on a pretty fancy looking cellphone! (Not an iPhone, though). I was not only wondering how he charges it, but how does he pay his phone bill??

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think a lot of homeless people get some sort of government support -- VA benefits, social security, whatever. If you get a $500 check every month and don't have to pay rent maybe you'd buy an iPod. Not sure how you'd get music on it though...

13. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Maybe someone gave it to him. But there are a lot of homeless that come into my clinic and most of them aren't totally destitute, they've got a way to get small amounts of money here and there. And maybe someone at a shelter charges it and syncs music for him.

SLC

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But if they're spending the little money they have on stuff like that, you've got to wonder about their priorities. There's almost no reason to help them.

15. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

16. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Some people are just sick mentally and they cant help it. Allot of people with schizophrenia will often listen to music to help them stay more in touch with reality.
    To charge your ipod or cell phone go to a coffee shop buy a cup of joe and sit down and plug here in.
    You should be glade he might have spent his money on a ipod instead of drugs or alcohol.

17. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I was thinking the same thing. I was walking a few months ago down a street with my girlfriend, and a homeless dude checked her into a window and dove into her purse at the same time. I knocked him down, but he hadn't managed to get anything from the purse, and he had come out of a 7/11 with a couple of 40's, and they smashed everywhere, so we high-tailed it.

I'm not saying all homeless people are thieves or anything, I'm just saying it happens, and iPods/cell phones/tons of other things go missing from cars and people all the time.

18. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

19. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I find that most homeless people that beg for money are "crumby phonies".

Sorry I just finished reading catcher in the rye.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have to agree here.
    Frankly who cares why or how he got it? Maybe he found it.
    Seems obvious to me that you're quick to judge. You'll go far. :rolleyes:

21. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Perhaps he wasn't homeless at all?

I used to live in a city where a 'homeless guy' collected bottles and cans from the whole neighborhood every week. We all used to save them up for him. This same guy took his family to Mexico for three weeks a year. We still gave him our bottles and cans.

Cheers.

22. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Well thanks I will go far...

Anyway, sorry if I do seem quick to judge but I don't see how there could be any reasonable way that he got it...but then again I really don't care.

Gotta ask why he is homeless anyway?

23. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You -- the global you here on MR, not a specific poster -- are displaying some interesting asssumptions around this scenario.

Assumption #1 - that the man is literally homeless -- as opposed to living in a residential hotel, with friends, in a shelter, or just maybe, in an actual house or apartment.

Assumption #2 - that the man has no money and would have to find, borrow or steal an iPod. As opposed to drawing a disability pension or other benefit, or collecting returnable bottles, or having a solid investment fund that pays him a few K per month.

Which leads to assumption 3, that a 'homeless beggar' was always a marginalized person who never earned an honest days wage... as opposed to - to cite an actual acquaintance of mine - a high school chemistry teacher for 20 years before deciding to opt out of the mainstream.

Which in turn leads to assumption #4 - that the man was forced into his current position, whatever you assume that to be -- that it isn't a matter of choice to have the ZZTop beard and to carry a collection of worldly goods with him.

Granted, many or even most people on the margins of society are there because of conditions such as loss of employment, or mental illness, or substance abuse. But as another acquaintance told me, he collects empty bottles because he just doesn't like the stress of the workplace. He makes an adequate living, and for him, he is happy with his choice.

Finally, there is assumption #5 - because you judge that this person is 'homeless' and 'poor', it becomes remarkable to you that he should have chosen to take $40 or more to invest in a good quality music player. Even to the point of thinking that he shouldn't have such a thing, that if he were more 'responsible' he might have used that asset for a haircut and shave, or to buy food, or... Why do you assume that you have the right to make personal choices, and he doesn't?

In the mean time, his iPod probably brings him hours of pleasure per day - strikes me as an excellent investment. Maybe he'll comment on this thread if he happens on it while downloading his latest batch of political science lectures and paleoanthropology podcasts from iTunesU on a computer at the public library.

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

^ Thank you. :)

I've been homeless. None of you know when it might happen to you, through little fault of your own.

25. Fontenette Yo! thread starter macrumors regular

Fontenette Yo!

I never said he was a begger. The closest shelter (we have only one i believe and I'm not sure if it is open right now) is about 30 minutes or more freeway driving distance. And the Hookah bar is not very close to anything at all except another hookah bar.