Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canesalato

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Steve Jobs would never have allowed Cook to run Apple after his death, if he thought Tim was a brainless, dumb bozo, like a lot of guys here seem to believe!
Somebody here should start thinking about this simple fact before writing the same thing again and again endlessly. Actually somebody here should simply start thinking.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
After what he is doing to the iPhone I think Jobs would certainly hit Cook very hard.... going to 4" and that ugly back plate is hideous (assuming those "leaks" are believable)

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Why not just address the people you're ranting about instead of starting a pointless thread?

BTW, the has no business in the iPhone forum.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
After what he is doing to the iPhone I think Jobs would certainly hit Cook very hard.... going to 4" and that ugly back plate is hideous (assuming those "leaks" are believable)

I suppose you are not showing us the copy of his will that he gave you?

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here

Exactly. Just like Jobs hit himself when people complained about the leaked iPhone 4 being hideous. And once the iPhone 4 tanked in the market, Steve fired himself!

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008

You seriously think that Steve Jobs died with an iPhone 4s in his hand screaming "YES ITS PERFECT"... and the next day Tim Cook just redesigned the phone... Don't be ignorant. Steve Jobs knew exactly what this new iPhone looks like. Jesus.

canesalato

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Why not just address the people you're ranting about instead of starting a pointless thread?

BTW, the has no business in the iPhone forum.

I'm not ranting, actually I'm writing to all the guys who are ranting. I just want to suggest an idea. If I had to address every guy who is ranting about iPhone 5 one by one...well, I would not have a life anymore.
And I'm writing on the iPhone forum because all this ranting is because of the iPhone 5, which is considered to be too similar to the 4s (well, not at all in my opinion, but I guess maybe waiting for the keynote before judging would be the best thing)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Exactly. Just like Jobs hit himself when people complained about the leaked iPhone 4 being hideous. And once the iPhone 4 tanked in the market, Steve fired himself!

Actually, I loved the iPhone 4 design. That looked like real Apple work.

I suppose you are not showing us the copy of his will that he gave you?

... Ha funny

You seriously think that Steve Jobs died with an iPhone 4s in his hand screaming "YES ITS PERFECT"... and the next day Tim Cook just redesigned the phone... Don't be ignorant. Steve Jobs knew exactly what this new iPhone looks like. Jesus.

He laid out a plan, but it doesn't mean it'll get followed. Think, Cook can change what was left if he wishes to. However, lets see if it paid off. Truth be told, Steve was very adamant of the 3.5" factor, just like in the iPad, but he was always trying to be convinced otherwise. Steve knew it very well, people are not the source of what a device should be.

What could they actually build with all that money? They could do brilliant endeavours.

A nice bigger R&D department. I would rather invest in more R&D and securing more components than giving back to greedy investors. Better use of the money. That or making iTunes in the cloud much more reliable or making iMessage as good as BBM.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
A nice bigger R&D department. I would rather invest in more R&D and securing more components than giving back to greedy investors. Better use of the money. That or making iTunes in the cloud much more reliable or making iMessage as good as BBM.

What about their own cellular network?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Well, I know it was one of Steve's visions, but I'm not sure how much money it takes.

Yes it was, after being shot down by Sprint and Verizon, Steve used this threat on AT&T. However, what he threatened was to buy bulk minutes and data packages and resell them. In other words become a Boost Mobile or StraightTalk style carrier.

Actually building a cell network from scratch (which is what Apple would have done) is very unfeasible since you have spectrum licenses, zoning permits (places like San Fran), tower costs, backhaul costs and network infrastructure in the backside.

Just look at the amount of cash that Verizon and AT&T threw around when trying to get 700MHz spectrum licenses.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Yes it was, after being shot down by Sprint and Verizon, Steve used this threat on AT&T. However, what he threatened was to buy bulk minutes and data packages and resell them. In other words become a Boost Mobile or StraightTalk style carrier.

Ah, damn, that sounds like Steve all right! :D

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011

Actually building a cell network from scratch (which is what Apple would have done) is very unfeasible since you have spectrum licenses, zoning permits (places like San Fran), tower costs, backhaul costs and network infrastructure in the backside.

Just look at the amount of cash that Verizon and AT&T threw around when trying to get 700MHz spectrum licenses.

I wonder why AT&T caved in so easily to that. May be he showed them how they could benefit from it instead of using the threat only.

I wonder how an Apple cellular network would work like though.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
I wonder why AT&T caved in so easily to that. May be he showed them how they could benefit from it instead of using the threat only.

Like a normal cell network. It would also be subject to issues. No system is perfect and a cell network is most vulnerable.

As per AT&T, I think they saw what Apple could do with the iPod and took a gamble. Cingluars then CEO stated it was a gamble with Apple, one which paid off greatly for 5 years. Verizon's CEO downplayed this for the first two years and then new his company was getting arse raped by the iPhone.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Well, I know it was one of Steve's visions, but I'm not sure how much money it takes.

Given that we have no global carriers whatsoever should be a hint. That and the notion that laws are never going to allow a carrier to run a network for their own device (an nobody else) should be a big hint that is just isn't going to ever happen. Why would Apple (or their board members) even bother with a measure that would be regional at best (no way it could even be US only) and would't serve the majority of their customers.

And that assumes that they wouldn't have to abide by the rules of being a telecom player (like supporting other devices). There is a reason that carriers are not run by handset makers.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011

[then]Cingular didn't 'cave' into any threats. Their board of directors didn't even know what the iPhone looked like. They were given a description of what it would do. Ultimately they invested in Steve Jobs; not the iPhone.

Last edited:

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN

I imagine that such an investment would require about a decade of investment with no guarantee of success. Getting towers up is a major process given the general NIMBY perspective that people have. It's the last thing investors would want to do.

nicknicknickh

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
You know chances are that this Iphone was worked on by Steve. They dont just make it over a couple months, they spend years. They are probably already looking to make designs for the next one. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.