Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Despite being uncharacteristic of the secretive Steve Jobs we have grown to know, AppleInsider reports that the Apple CEO has been boasting about Apple's upcoming phone offering to his inner circle. Apparently, Steve's own excitement over the product has lead him to produce a few "zealous ramblings" dating back as early as this past spring.

AppleInsider also offers a little more information (although cryptic) on the characteristics of the phone.

One person familiar with the ongoings believes the Apple cofounder has commissioned the release of cell phone prototypes to at least two potential OEM manufacturing partners in recent months. Current designs are said to conform to Apple's integrated model and leverage its tightly-knit digital media franchises, that person added.

In addition, AppleInsider quotes a source who states that the phone is indeed set to launch "earlier than some people may be expecting, in the form of a 'big bang' introduction that will catch even some insiders off-guard." ThinkSecret has previously stated that the phone has seen delays that could set it back as far as next year, whereas Engadget has recently stated that the phone could arrive as early as this month.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
These iPhone rumours continue to persist. I admit to being a sceptic, but maybe I'm wrong! I just hope that if they do do it, they do it well.

phelix_da_kat

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2005
porting..

What OS will the iPhone be running? :confused:
If people want a Treo replacement, you are going to have top consider:
1. calendar - hopefully you can port over Palm to iCal
2. contacts - to Mail/Address book
3. will there be a keyboard - personally I send a lot of mail/texts so would want to keep the "thumb-board" ;)

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I really hope Apple comes out with a phone that's an awesome phone, music player, and smart phone... Is that asking too much?

Oh, and it needs to cost US$200 or less (preferably less). :D :rolleyes:

edit: after reading article, it looks pretty promising! :)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
These rumors surrounding the iPhone have been around for quite a while now, so I sure hope it becomes reality sooner rather than later. Who knows, if it’s really good I may actually buy my first cell phone ever. :cool:

mlrproducts

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2004
Hurry up and take my money Apple! Here is my wishlist, the first section is PLAUSIBLE:

1) Released for GSM sim cards (probable, maybe support for CDMA later on)
2) Bluetooth (well, I think this is a given)
3) Good integration with iCal, Mail, etc

Now what I WANT that might not happen:
4) Not tied to a service provider
5) Affordable LOL
6) Wifi built in
7) Modem support for dialup over GSM
8) Lightweight, small FF

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
phelix_da_kat said:
What OS will the iPhone be running? :confused:
If people want a Treo replacement, you are going to have top consider whether:
1. calendar - hopefully you can port over Palm to iCal
2. contacts - to Mail/Address book
3. will there be a keyboard - personally I send a lot of mail/texts so would want to keep the "thumb-board" ;)

I think the device is likely to be iPod based (the underlying OS can handle a lot more than audio and video playback i think).

I'd love some thumb board capability but nt at the expense of size. If this thing is a brick it's not gonna work out.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Please Apple, make it the best phone ever!

I am using a Nokia 1100 at the moment:rolleyes: :eek: :eek: , and would love an upgrade, but would prefer to wait for the iPhone:cool: :D :)

geoffism

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
NYC
Smartphone?

I don't care so much about the iPod capability, but I would like to see the result of a smartphone by Apple. I haven't jumped on the bandwagon of the Treos and Palms.

Call me a sucker, but I'd like somehting that could do all the mundane, make my life easier, organization crap, and have it look cool as well. Oh, and not run on a crap OS.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
ingenious said:
I really hope Apple comes out with a phone that's an awesome phone, music player, and smart phone... Is that asking too much?

Yes, I agree, it would have to be an iPod as well for all intents and purposes. And please Apple, make it a good quality phone - don't make it like those RAZRs which look cool but are crappy otherwise. I don't think I have read more negative reviews on a cell phone than I have for the RAZR.

Phat Elvis

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2005
Phila, PA
I would love to see a smartphone from Apple. Palm reliability is in the gutter and it doesn't look like Apple (or anyone else) is into making PDA's.

I just hope that we don't have to re-buy any music from iTunes just to play on the phone.

I'm really glad that this rumor cleared things up about when an Apple phone will be released :rolleyes: .

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
What's with the spellng mistakes tonight?

Two stories so far on the front page and we have:

"chineese"
"upcomming"

Looks like arn's keyboard is stickiiing. :D

iPhone = bad idea and difficult to implement beyond the USA.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Agreed!

iGary said:
*woot*
Please let it be good so I can trash my Treo.

My Treo is best smart phone I have used. That said, it's nowhere NEAR where I expect an Apple offering to be - when/if discussing integration.
Depending on what Apple unveils, I am very ready to cut my contract w/ VZW if it means a better user experience than what I am getting now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.