iPad Steve Wozniak doesn't want the new iPad.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Vcolassi, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

He doesn't want it because he doesn't have broadband and he wants more storage.

Get with the times Woz.

2. maclook macrumors 65816

He'd be fortunate enough to afford a 256gb model and probably with LTE ($1,000+ iPad for watching BBT). It would be interesting if it were still $100 to upgrade from 128gb to 256gb though.

3. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I respect Woz for his contributions to history, but he sounds like an idiot in this article.

He of all people should understand that his edge use case does not a product strategy make.

4. maclook macrumors 65816

^ But he's not trying to speak for the majority. He's just saying it doesn't meet his needs.

5. j1an macrumors newbie

6. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

He has a point. Is it a technical limitation or space limitation that prevents a 256 or 512GB iPad from being built?

8. cababah macrumors 68000

Meh, the future of storage is in the cloud anyway. Why not just get the cellular LTE ipad and purchase extra cloud storage???

9. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

Are there any tablets with over 128MB of storage? Seems like saying I need to carry 100 hours of HD video on my tablet is kind of pushing the limit of what a tablet is designed for. Maybe he should keep them on his laptop and sync the ones he intends to watch before a flight or something.

I'm thrilled that its getting thinner and lighter while faster with the same size screen.

10. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

You'd think a billionaire could get a house where there's Internet or would invest into getting connected if that was important to him.

11. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

It's apple wanting max profit margin

Apple could easily make the configuration: 64, 128, 256, 512

12. nostresshere macrumors 68030

One man's opinion and needs.

That's all.

They will still sell mega-millions.

13. Macalway macrumors 68000

Who's Steve Wozniak?

Is he that guy on the tricycle?

14. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

How is Wozniak still relevant? He cracked his head open like 20 years ago in a plane crash and hasn't been the same since.

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Why not Woz starts working for Apple and he can build an iWoz tablet with 4GB memory? :apple:

16. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

It's a market limitation - based on the people I know, the vast majority sold are 16 GB to people who don't even know you CAN put a video on it. I don't think they could sell enough of them to justify the additional SKUs and manufacturing lines.

----------

Overcharging people for memory is very profitable, actually.

Making models that won't sell? Not so much.

17. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

It sounds like he was only going to upgrade if apple offered a 256 GB or something really new for the next gen iPad. Neither happened so makes sense.

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I have respect for what Woz waz, what he did, and his friendly but no BS demeanor now. But his glory days were an awful long time ago, and in the scheme of things, his was a pretty short chapter in the Apple story. I think he's been mythically exalted by proximity. He kinda reminds me of a lottery winner with no real passion or drive. Not sure why people still care what he has to say. He's pretty much the Pete Best of Apple.

19. keigo macrumors regular

when Apple put in 256gb.. people will be shouting for 512gb...

so what when Apple put in 1TB and there will be people shouting for 1.5 or 2TB SSD

come on if you do not know how to house keep your data. No amount of space is ever enough.

FYI, there is a Seagate GoFlex Satellite Wireless you can buy to expand your space. :eek:

20. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I agree. The last things he engineered were in the 80s. These days technology is obsolete at 3 years and the last thing Woz built was 30 years ago.

People like to point out what a genius he was, but that's the operative word: WAS. Past tense. Today he is just a billionaire geek who travels with several suitcases full of electronics everywhere he goes, yet lives in a place with no broadband. Not exactly a mindset that would provide useful insights into the consumer market today.

21. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

He doesn't want it right now. Come February he will mention at a speech or a conference that he loves it. Then the click bait news sites will run wih it, while a growing number of the population will wonder, "Who gives a *****?"

22. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

Definitely space, as far as the new iPad Airs are concerned. It could be possible, although who really knows, that Apple could make a 256GB iPad 2. In any case Woz is only talking about his own personal needs, so chill guys.

23. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Why do we care what Woz does and doesn't want? He certainly doesn't dictate the purchases that I make in my life with what he would or wouldn't buy.

24. Vcolassi thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought it was interesting, being everyone else on here voices why they do or do not want the new models. Interesting hearing from a former co-owner of Apple.

Gives it a different dynamic to hear what he thinks would make the new models "better" in his mind.