Steve's Answer to "Apple Screen of Death"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mykbibby, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

I sent Steve Jobs an email asking about the "Apple Screen of Death" and he answered me! Check it out here.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Believe or not, Steve actually cares about his customers!

3. cobaltchroma macrumors regular

cobaltchroma

i would laugh if there was a room full of "steves" at the apple headquarters replying to his inbox all day.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

The Apple of death is yet another manifestation of the conundrums and inconsistencies that is the iPhone 2.0.

I've had more than one freeze up while downloading an app on the phone, and just today I had a restart while downloading. But in all instances, the Apple logo went away after a couple of minutes and the phone booted as expected. Go figger.

Unless...is there ANY chance those people to whom it happens aren't given the phone long enough to finish booting? A longshot I know...

5. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

I have had to restore 21 times, and I have 10 pages of apps! Its a joke...

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Umm, you can only have 9 pages of apps I believe. And even if you have 9, you're still pushing the outer limits of what the phone can handle in its current firmware state, so to call it a joke isn't really fair IMO.

7. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Really? I guess I counted wrong then! I'd check... but my iPhone is restoring. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

8. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Is 2 days long enough? ;)

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

lol thats probably how they do it, notice it never says which steve in the closure :p

10. peterjh178 macrumors newbie

I let it sit all night the first time thinking perhaps eventually it would return, woke up in the morning to the apple...since the most recent update my phone has always booted, even if an app froze while installing or the phone restarted. Nonetheless, I do all my updates and installations through iTunes now as the apps rarely seem to load properly when installed through the phone.

11. peterjh178 macrumors newbie

I let it sit all night the first time thinking perhaps eventually it would return, woke up in the morning to the apple...since the most recent update my phone has always booted, even if an app froze while installing or the phone restarted. Nonetheless, I do all my updates and installations through iTunes now as the apps rarely seem to load properly when installed through the phone.[/QUOTE]

12. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Duplicate ;)

13. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

[/QUOTE]

I have been doing this too, but I wish Apple would either fix the phone to work, or remove the app store from the phone, and only allow it on the computer. I can only imagine how hard it would be for someone would doesn't even know how to sync it if they got this issue...

14. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Do you really think it's Steve? I think that it's just some tech rep speaking for him, it's not actually him. He definitely doesn't have the time to respond to hundreds, or even thousands, of email every day.

15. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Not sure, but its inside information from sjobs@apple.com, so I have a feeling it might be...

16. Spongey817 macrumors regular

I'm fairly confident that the response you got was a previously generated reply that gets sent to all customers who e-mail SJ about 2.0. I may be wrong, but that's the feeling I'm getting after such a vague response. Oddly enough, Steve probably copy/paste's these emails and just sends 'em out. See, that's quite ironic. (Copy/Paste absence on iPhone)

Regardless, let's hope this software update solves such issues.

17. chrisparr macrumors regular

If it's pushing the limits of what it can handle to the point where it is causing problems like this, then you shouldn't be allowed to have that many pages, so to call it a joke is totally fair.

18. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Agreed... I would be proud of Apple if they limited it to, say, 5 pages of apps. However, until a limit is set, I will add as many as I possibly can.

But maybe by the 22nd crash I'll change my ways... :rolleyes:

19. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

hahaha, I wouldn't doubt that for a second.

20. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

It was obvious there was going to be problems with 2.0, being such a big undertaking. With 2.0.2 they are slowly getting a hold of the problem I would say. Technically if the firmware is sound I would have thought the number of apps you have would not matter, well at least not much. Also the developers are being suffocated with the NDA so writting apps to the best of practices and abilities is also a bit more complicated at the moment which is also probably causing problems. Hope 2.1 is up to the job :cool:

1.1.4 FTW lol :D

21. docprego macrumors 65816

Seriously why are any of you guys worried at all? Since when has Apple ever let problems persist without a software update to fix them all? Just have a little patience, they will release an update (most likely 2.1) that will feel miraculous when it arrives.

22. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

The one problem with that theory is that most of the problems have stemmed from having to support 3rd party developement. Thats a big number of variables. Previously they were only fixing problems on a closed platform which is far far easier. If 2.1 is in the same vein as the other point updates to 2.0 its going to be a big dissapointment not "miraculous" as you put it.

23. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

I feel like I have a right to be worried, thank you very much. Have you had to restore your phone 21 times because of a simple issue that Apple could fix in 10 minutes, but chooses not to? If it was very complicated, I wouldn't mind so much... but people have found the problem and the cause and yet no fix is here! I don't want to wait until September... in fact, I can't!

24. help!!!!! macrumors member

I feel your pain. My iPhone froze twice today. I would make an estimate that I have restored it 25 times, 3 replacements, and 1 time at the Genius Bar for 2 hours working on my laptop to fix my iPhone. (they had to call Apple headquarters to ask what to to.)

25. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

My iPhone froze again today. Oh well... maybe the 23rd times a charm! :rolleyes:

Luckily I'm switching computers... I'm moving to my laptop: with 7.7 installed!