Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Platform said:
Simple = Yes....

That is what he tries to make Apple look like simple and easy but functional to use ;)

Remember 40+buttons and 6 ;)

Remeber that it is the DVR functionality that makes those remotes complex. Not exactly a fair comparison.

Hickman

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I thought many projectors actually came with remotes??? When they are hooked up to a computer, it sends a message to it to change slides when the remote is clicked.

I'd love to know the speed of Steve's internet connection at the keynotes, it seems pretty darn snappy!

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Brian Hickman said:
Remeber that it is the DVR functionality that makes those remotes complex. Not exactly a fair comparison.

Hickman

What can they do that the Apple remote can't.... :confused:

iNoob

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2005
moonislune said:
In the movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley", wasn't Steve and friends' Berkeley telephone dialer a little blue box (telephone keypad)? Maybe its a nostalgic thing like the number "6" with Apple.

You mean a blue box (http://ei.cs.vt.edu/~history/Jobs.html) ?

Nifty. Beware the "small speed bump keynote" (or "the lucky escape") :

"... and one more thing: PBs now get a 0.3Ghz speed increase !!!!" :rolleyes:

the crowd gets ready with tomatoes

" ... did I ever tell you how to make long distance phone calls without paying ? ..."

:D

P.S.

http://www.metromac.org/newsletter/express/march04/images/two_steves_180.jpg (both of them)
http://zdnet.be/images/nw0407/040713_wozniak.jpg (woz)

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I don't know much about the clicker, but I just wanted to say that I loooove MR.

Where else could have a 2-page (and growing) discussion about Steve Jobs' remote clicker thingiee

It's nuts, I love it.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
mistakes have been made

pdpfilms said:
I've never seen Steve make a mistake with his slidesQUOTE]

on the contrary there was a mistake in the last presetation. the hard drives for the imacs were listed as MB vs GB. MUAHAHAHAHA

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
practice doesnt neccessarily mean perfect

Jay42 said:
Yeah, I would doubt that its directly hooked to up to the several computers that are all running the keynote. It probably makes a lights up a little bulb next to the guy running the presentation. The keynotes are always super smooth (he must practice a lot).

steve doesnt practice. his tech team has practice times set up for him, but he rarely shows up for them. He knows what he is presenting and he is passionate about it, witha combo like that, who needs practice.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
TheMasin9 said:
pdpfilms said:
I've never seen Steve make a mistake with his slides

on the contrary there was a mistake in the last presetation. the hard drives for the imacs were listed as MB vs GB. MUAHAHAHAHA

But pdpfilms observation could still hold true. "never seen Steve make a mistake". That was probably someone else's screw-up. Cuz Steve ain't got the time to put those slides together.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
iNoob said:
You mean a blue box (http://ei.cs.vt.edu/~history/Jobs.html) ?

Nifty. Beware the "small speed bump keynote" (or "the lucky escape") :

" ... did I ever tell you how to make long distance phone calls without paying ? ..."

:D

P.S.

http://www.metromac.org/newsletter/express/march04/images/two_steves_180.jpg (both of them)
http://zdnet.be/images/nw0407/040713_wozniak.jpg (woz)

I'm afraid I have no idea what the point of your post was. But the pictures at the end were cool! :D (and contained a very big blue box).

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
I'm amazed that we still haven't found out what this clicker thing actually is (with certainty) and that we also don't know who makes it! I find it hard to believe that Apple would bother making a simple device that makes a signal light up on the slide controller's spot. There must be loads of companies that make things like that.
Maybe we should send Steve an email or letter to ask him. Man, this gonna bother me during tomorrow's keynote (assuming there is one). My eyes are going to be fixed on his clicker thing to see if I can spot some clues. :rolleyes:

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
pdpfilms said:
I've never seen Steve make a mistake with his slides, or heard of it. But why would he need a placebo controller? To make him feel like he was in control of the presentation?
to make you think he was in control. duh?

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
TheMasin9 said:
steve doesnt practice. his tech team has practice times set up for him, but he rarely shows up for them. He knows what he is presenting and he is passionate about it, witha combo like that, who needs practice.

Yes, but it seems like he always has the right words at his "fingertips," and those are long presentations. It definitely seems to me that he has worked through the wording of certain sections.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
iNoob said:
Beware the "small speed bump keynote" (or "the lucky escape") :

Ay! I am most ready to hurl myself at the Jobsvian target! Ay!

.. RedTomato ..

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Jay42 said:
Yes, but it seems like he always has the right words at his "fingertips," and those are long presentations. It definitely seems to me that he has worked through the wording of certain sections.

I've always wondered how he does that, especially since he moves around quite a bit during a presentation. Multiple prompters with expert operators, or does the big guy just really know his stuff? The world may never know.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I've always wondered a few things about the Keynotes...

1. Does Steve type his own slides?
2. How long does he practice the presentation?
3. Who are all the photos of on iPhoto/? And does Steve know who it is in the photos? (or are they all stock photos)....and the same for who is in the iMovies.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
mac-er said:
I've always wondered a few things about the Keynotes...

1. Does Steve type his own slides?
2. How long does he practice the presentation?
3. Who are all the photos of on iPhoto/? And does Steve know who it is in the photos? (or are they all stock photos)....and the same for who is in the iMovies.
1. No.
2. Ask Steve.
3. Probably off the internet that they bought OR they hired people to do it.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Well in Keynote (the app), you can view the notes on a different display while the presentation is playing on another. So you can know exactly what to say by looking at the display.

What I wonder is:

1. Where do they put the Mac(s) that has the presentation on it? They must have a backup Mac ready to go in case something happens during the presentation to the Mac thats presenting the keynote.

2. How close to the projector is the Mac(s) placed? Otherwise, that must be one helluva long DVI Cable.

3. What kind of Remote is used? Is it radio based? IR? Bluetooth?

In fact, they must use multiple Macs to do the keynote. They have Mac(s) to present the main keynote with backups, a Mac to present the intro movies that are made, a Mac or 2 for the demo. A Mac or 2 for any Demo's that others are presenting.

I think its a ton of work for any one of Apple's 2 hour presentations, and thats just for presentation itself. Thats not counting all the hard work that goes into getting the products ready in time for the presentation.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Jay42 said:
Another side note (sorry), but I would love to see Steve use his Mac other than during the short demos. I wonder which of the tons of hidden OS X tips and shortcuts does he use. ie, does he click on the finder and navigate to the Applications folder or does he use CMD-SHIFT-A. How many of those things does he know?
Well, seeing as Steve pioneered UNIX i should think he uses that!!!! - He's a programmer at heart right?! - a geek!
Why else would terminal be in the consumer version of OS X - Steve loves that s*** man! :D

sebaz

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Jay42 said:
Also, anyone know if the computers he has on stage are the actual computers being used for the demos? They must be maxed out on ram, because the icons never bounce when Steve launches iTunes and the like.

From what I have read, Steve does indeed rehearses ever single aspect of his keynote. Take a look here:

http://writersblocklive.com/?p=3

The thing about apps, no bouncing is on the dock is an easy explanation. All the apps that hes going to used in the presentation have already been executed, prior to that moment. For example, open up iMovie HD you gonna see it a bounce then the app appears. Quit it. Open it back again, no bounce, instant access to the app. At least in my G5. But you get the idea..

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
mklos said:
3. What kind of Remote is used? Is it radio based? IR? Bluetooth?

My guess would be that it is RF based, and that it is limited so that it can't change more than one slide in a period of, say, 2 seconds or so, so that by double clicking the remote Jobs couldn't skip through slides by mistake. Obviously if he did mess up his technicians running the projectors could quickly correct the slide he was on, but having a slight delay between slide changes would prevent some of the simplest muck-ups. :)

likosoad

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2005
If you look at the small clues it becomes very obvious that he indeed uses other peolple to change the slides. He frequently looks at some spot and says, "let's just go around and run that" or "let's run that, shall we?" or 'lets go ahead and watch this" Plus I don't think that keynotes has a feature to get out of keynote onto another mac to do a demo and I also don't think that the videos he shows are actually in his presentation, the buy backstage just switches the view from mac to mac, he probably has a few backup macs running the same keynote presentation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.