"Steve's Sweater" advertisements

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by japanime, Oct 17, 2011.

1. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Am I the only one who finds the "Steve's Sweater" ads currently running on the MR front page to be in rather poor taste?

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

post a screenshot?

not everyone sees the same ads.

arn

3. japanime thread starter macrumors 68000

japanime

Hi Arn,

The ads are still running as of right now (October 20 in Japan). Here is a screenshot from the front page.

The ads link to the St. Croix clothing company, which is selling mock turtlenecks that the company claims were favored by Jobs.

[​IMG]

4. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I bought one for dress like Steve Jobs day last week. I really like it. It is so comfortable and warm, and all of my friends told me that the look works on me.
    I probably won't wear it again though because it would be stealing someone else's look, but I sure would like to. :D

6. japanime thread starter macrumors 68000

japanime

Thing is, no matter how much St. Croix wants to believe it, the shirts they are selling are NOT the ones that Jobs favored. He wore shirts designed by Issey Miyake (a fact that has been reported in his upcoming biography as well as right here on Macrumors).

Apparently MR doesn't find the ad to be problematic, though, as it's still running.

7. Des Zac macrumors regular

WELL..... Money issss. money, you know they need the money to stay up.

8. Prophet2271 macrumors newbie

No control over Adverts

I think you'll find that MR have no control over what adverts appear on the site. It's all usually controlled some where else throught the Advertising plugin they are using for the web site. I've seen Adverts for Samsung Galaxy Phone, Fake Chineese iPoons on the MR site as well as on other sites like my ISP advertising other ISP's (DOH!). :apple:

9. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

we can track down specific ads to block them. I hadn't done so with this one since it seemed a toss up.

arn

10. Prophet2271 macrumors newbie

Track down the fakes then?

Thats cool :D

Maybe then blocking of the fake iPhone adverts might be a good idea?? So some sucker doesn't purchase one thinking its a real one. (Just saying)

11. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

screenshot?

arn