Sticky Keys turn on by themselves on external keyboard

Discussion in 'macOS Catalina (10.15)' started by cezinho, Jul 18, 2019.

1. cezinho, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019

cezinho macrumors newbie

I've been having a bizarre issue with macOS Catalina beta 4 (which started in beta 2, I believe).

1) I connect an external keyboard (latest gen wireless Magic Keyboard) to my MacBook Pro 2017
    2) Within a minute or so, the OS automatically turns on Sticky Keys on the external keyboard (the MacBook keyboard works fine)
    3) I toggle the Sticky Keys (click Shift 5 times to turn on even though they are on, 5 times to turn off > you can also do this in Accessibility > Keyboards)
    4) The Sticky Keys reactivate after a few minutes, and sometimes after a dozen or so seconds

It use to be that toggling the Sticky Keys worked until I disconnected the external keyboard / walked out of Bluetooth range, but now the OS seems determined to have me type with the Option key turned on at periodic intervals:

ßå∂ƒßå∂ƒßøˆπ¨œ®˜…

Any ideas of a permanent fix?

I know this is beta software, but it's driving me nuts.

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Are there any actual sticking keys on your Magic Keyboard?
    You can quickly see that in your Keyboard Viewer.

3. cezinho thread starter macrumors newbie

It checked and it seems ok. Of course, when the Sticky Keys auto-activate, the keyboard changes the symbols to reflect that.

The keys of the external keyboard are also clean and don't seem to be physically sticking/pressing themselves.

Attached Files:

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

hmm... Why does your screen shot show that both Shift and Command keys are pressed?

5. cezinho, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019

cezinho thread starter macrumors newbie

That's just me pressing those keys to get a screenshot.

Cmd + Shift + 4

The 4 is pressed only once, so disappears from the keyboard as the screenshot is being taken.
    Cmd + Shift remain pressed.
    When I'm not taking the screenshot, none of the keys are pressed.