Stiffed on applecare :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by moel, Jun 29, 2012.

1. moel macrumors 6502

Hello everyone

I don't suppose anyone can give me help, tips & advice. I've got a MBP, I purchased back in April 2010, with Applecare. They said at the store 'would you like us to register your applecare to your machine now?' I'm pretty sure i said No.

In July 2010, I ran over my MBP. Sent it off to our insurers, who said..no it's knackered here's a cheque for some money...

I then replaced it with the insurance money, with a same spec machine on July 10th.

Then recently the graphics card handover has gone very iffy... (screen blacking out, and then last night if you switched between the IGP and the 330M, it would just squash the picture into half the display missing out huge chunks..)

Just rung applecare up, and they've said 'no if you'd bought the second machine within a month' we'd have been able to do it. But we can't.

Bit annoyed really...anyone got any suggestions?

2. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a

Rudy69

If you're still within your first year with the new machine then you should still be covered

3. moel thread starter macrumors 6502

Please see the bit that says 'purchased in 2010'......

4. auero macrumors 65816

Apple usually charges a flat rate for repairs depending on the problem. It might not be much more than what apple originally cost.

5. 01mggt macrumors 6502

So let's get this straight, if I purchase my rMBP with apple care and 6 months down the road it get's stolen for example. Say I have insurance on it with my insurance company and I get it replaced by them. I can't transfer the remainder of my apple care?! You just lose that? That is what I am understanding. Yeah I would say you got stiffed for sure!

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Seems to me Apple is correct is saying your 2nd machine isn't covered... unless you have an A/C certificate or other proof w/ that machine being registered.

BUT

It also seems to me that Apple owes you a prorated refund for the period starting when your original MBP was totaled to the end of the A/C term. You can easily prove the machine was no longer in existence w/ the insurance papers.

That would be what would happen in most U.S. states at least. It seems consumer protection in Europe is even stronger so you might want to look into that if I'm correctly understanding the scenario.

7. moel thread starter macrumors 6502

at £240 I'd rather just put it towards a new machine...

8. jshbckr macrumors 6502

Like Chupa Chupa said, if you show them insurance stuff that the laptop you had covered was destroyed, they should owe you a refund on the remaining time of AppleCare coverage you couldn't use on that computer.

Technically, you needed to repurchase AppleCare for your second laptop. If you maybe let them know that you had AppleCare coverage on the first laptop and didn't know you have to transfer/buy it again, they might cover you. Obviously you weren't trying to avoid buying AppleCare since you had it in the first place.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

At this point yeah, I'd say put the $$ towards a new machine.

It kind of makes sense, from apple's perspective you bought a second computer and you were trying to use the original A/C. Now maybe (I'm not sure on this) that when you buy a laptop and AppleCare at the same time, it automatically gets registered. While you may have said no, do register A/C, it did anyways (or the salesman screwed up). Either way you're out of luck

10. moel thread starter macrumors 6502

I've fired off a final e-mail..just to see if there is any lee way whatsoever...The one thing I have noticed, is you can tell when it is about to go..because it ramps the fan up...

11. moel thread starter macrumors 6502

I should probably have mentioned its the graphics blanking out issue..soooo i've been doing a spot of searching and Boom...a bit of research and guess what :)

Apple will service affected MBP's for 2 years from date of purchase....with this issue

i've caught it just in time then...

12. leman macrumors 604

That is why your insurance should pay you the total sum, which includes Apple Care price.

13. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I believe if your computer (or iPod or ipad or whatever) gets wrecked, Apple offers a pro-rated rebate on Apple Care. But you'd have to call them about it right away.

14. moel thread starter macrumors 6502

Boooooommm job done, booked in for Tuesday :)

I suppose i should have just said it's got the graphics issue in a major way in the first place.

15. yth macrumors member

16. jarnold macrumors member

It took this long for someone to ask that question? hahaha

really though...you ran it over? ha

17. moel thread starter macrumors 6502

The post is still floating about on here somewhere

Yes I ran my macbook over :(

It was surprisingly resilient... 1 ton of mx5 = cracked screen glass (display was largely fine tho) a bent dvd slot (drive still worked) and a few dents in the top and bottom.

I absent mindedly put my laptop bag in front of the wheels, when picking the car up from the rolling road after a little light tuning.

Put my bike, back on the bike rack, got in car drove off..crunch, oh ***** :/ thinks I.

18. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

From what I can gather you never registered the first or the second MBP, so why do you expect Apple to cover the MBP?

Extended AppleCare is registered for a particular product via its serial number. If I was in your shoes I would have contacted Apple ASAP about the destroyed MBP and the AppleCare policy.

Except you did not let the store register the MBP nor did you register it, so the AppleCare policy was never in effect. Which begs the question: Why didn't you allow the store to register the MBP in the first place? Registering AppleCare is a separate process from registering a Mac with Apple the first time you boot-up a new Mac. After AppleCare is registered with Apple the buyer receives confirmation of the AppleCare registration that includes the product type and its serial number.

As far as I can tell, you dropped the ball, not Apple. Now the policy cannot be used for the second MBP because it was not registered within a year of being purchased. You are very fortunate that your hardware problem is covered under a special extended warranty because it is a known defect.

However, the AppleCare policy is still usable since it was never registered. You can use it with another MBP or sell it as long as you have proof that you purchased it.

19. moel thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the curt words Mojo...

If you'd actually take the time to read what I've posted rather than going into yet another "What a tatty muppet" rant.

I assumed that when I said, don't bother registering the applecare to the machine, i will do it when I get home. That the applecare wouldn't be registered. So I didn't bat an eyelid, when I replaced the laptop thinking, oh ok i can just register the applecare.

As I came to the end of the year with the machine, went to do it..couldn't find paperwork in Applecare box. Then it got worse...dug out my receipts from my e-mail and job done.

Unfortunately I then discovered that the guy in the store HAD linked the original MBP with Applecare.

Yes I fumbled the ball, but I'd expect Apple to at least allow a little leeway considering they got nigh on 3 grand out of me for 1 usable computer!!!

Anyway thanks for your not necessarily helpful input.

20. Jazwire, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

This is the reason I don't buy Applecare until about week 50. :)

In regards to your actual problem, I'd contact Apple & your insurance company both.
    (Most likely have better luck with Apple but who knows.)
    I'm sure you know this, but you should of taken care of this in July 2010 not now.

21. Sahib90 macrumors newbie

I just got off the chat with an apple representive. Apple care does not start until AFTER your first year. If you were to have a problem with your MacBook in the first year and you were to purchase your second MacBook, you are able to have the second MacBook registered under AppleCare as long as your first one was still under a year old.

Hope that helps.

22. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

That's not really true. Applecare is an extended warranty, but it also gives you phone support, which would normally expire after 90 days. So it is actually active in some form well before that first year is up. Plus, even if they were willing to transfer the Applecare warranty, you'd have to contact them with the information. They'd need the new serial number, etc. None of that was done, and now it's 2 years later.

OP, it sounds like you're going to get your computer repaired, which is the most important thing. It sounds like the real issue to you is that you thought you told them not to register it with Applecare, but they did anyways. I thought there was an email that gets sent to you when you register your product with Applecare. Did you not get one?

That being said, I'd call customer service and patiently explain what happened. Be nice, and ask them to give you a refund for the unused portion of your Applecare (the part after the original computer was destroyed). Give them the insurance documentation saying that it was a complete loss. Explain that you didn't realize it had already been registered with the old computer, that's why you're asking for the refund so late. Hopefully they'll be nice and give you the refund. Being that it's been two years since this all happened, it's hard to say. Good luck.

23. latestmonkey, Jun 29, 2012

latestmonkey macrumors 6502

That is exactly the route he should have taken if applecare doesn't get a prorated refund if a machine is destroyed/lost.

Why would you buy applecare if you don't intend to register it right away? Why not keep your money in your bank account for 50 weeks?

24. Mojo1, Jun 29, 2012

Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Sorry if I insulted you; that was not my intention.

If the sales associate registered your MBP you should have received confirmation that you had extended AppleCare. In the U.S. we get letters from Apple confirming the warranty registration.

Someone dropped the ball... From where I sit it appears that it was a group effort.

25. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

You failed to register the original computer, you assumed that it would transfer to the replacement and assumed that Apple would honor the unregistered machine? You failed on numerous occasions but if you take a moment and explain situation, I think there is a chance that Apple will complete the repair under warranty.

They would normally refund the unused balance of Applecare or transfer it to the replacement computer but you failed to let them know about the accident. How is Applecare stiffing you?