Still can't attach directly from Mail

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Richardgm, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

8 years later and still no ability to attach documents directly from Mail.
    One would have thought that with the Document picker here, that this would be a feature of the new Mail.app

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

3. Richardgm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Gmail app on Android allows you to attach any document while composing an email. iOS 8 still doesn't have that ability.

Attached Files:

4. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Yeh, I miss this feature. Too much pain sending email with documents via 3rd party apps.

5. bushido Suspended

bushido

apple is really annoying this way. they implement a new feature but cripple it for no reason so one still gets forced to jailbreak.

all the time

6. MonstaMash macrumors regular

MonstaMash

Once iCloud drive is fully implemented among all systems (iOS and OS X) and released to the public, I think it's pretty obvious that Apple will allow users to attach documents to Mail via iCloud Drive.

They even have the framework for sending large files via iCloud through Mail on Yosemite.

They would be crazy not to bring this to iOS.

7. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Extensibility in iOS8 should take care of that.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

yeap, but not if you want to use apple mail and photo apps unless apple releases an extension for the apps, but since they are hardcoded into the OS I don't see it happening, maybe it wil be the 'amazing' new feature of iOS9.

9. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

I know, but I guess people who really need this could just switch their mail app to something else. There's plenty of good alternatives out there. (Boxer, Mailbox etc.)

10. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

"iOS 9 is without doubt best work we have ever done. From the ground up, we've painstakingly produced the most advanced mobile OS on the market today. Let's take a look at the features. Attaching documents...right from the Mail app!"

**wild applause**

11. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

I wonder if Apple feels this way. It doesn't really make much sense to include such a handicapped application. This isn't asking for the moon. This is a basic feature that should have been included for years.

It really doesn't look good on Apple to take the stance of "oh just switch from our built in application and use something else". That's how you drive people OUT of an ecosystem.

I know I quoted you but I'm not really arguing with you. Just want to make that clear. :)

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

yeah, switching to third party apps is not what apple wants you to do. Also, almost everybody needs a feature like this if you actually use your email for work.

Yeap, remember copy/paste? My first iPhone was a 3GS because it had matured in software enough to do the things that my blackjack and IPAQ did years before the iPhone was out.

13. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

Just for clarification, do you mean there is no way to directly attach a file from within the Mail app?

14. Richardgm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Yep.

15. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

1. So I'm assuming that if I want to attach a photo I need to do it from the photos apps?

2. What do you do if you are replying to an email and need to attach an image? I guess you can't????

3. Since there is no built in file system, I guess you can't attach a Pages document or Numbers one, so you would do it from within those apps or just share within iCloud somehow?

I really want to get the new iPhone, though I'm more and more scared of leaving Android for this and some other reasons....

16. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Apple doesn't care. Google does.

Nothing is better than Gmail, nothing.

For that matter nothing beats Google.

It's as easy as that :)

17. Richardgm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

They added that ability in iOS 6. You can attach photos and video from Mail.

18. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Remember buying into Apple is buying into a closed locked down ecosystem that limits everything you can do. I'd think very seriously about it before switching. Especially now that you know the advantages of freedom.

19. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

I would have figured someone would have implemented extensibility with attachments even during the course of the beta :( sad panda

20. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Remember; buying into Android is buying into an open and free for all ecosystem that tracks everything you do, and selling it to the highest corporate bidder.

http://www.zdnet.com/with-android-o...irmly-back-in-the-os-driving-seat-7000033662/

21. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Is it possible with extensions? Think about it tho, where would the document come from? All documents on the device are stored within each application. Maybe with iCloud Drive we will be able to attach those instead.

22. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

23. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I'm not sure if Apple has opened up mail to allow for third party extensions but I could maybe see them updating mail to allow it access to iCloud Drive once Yosemite is release.

Maybe.

24. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Everybody seems to remember about copy/paste on the iPhone. No one seems to remember that it took Android another 18 months to complete their implementation. Maybe some things aren't quite as simple as you think. :D

25. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Did I mention android :D