Still can't decide if I should get a 17" MacBook Pro now or wait? more ?'s....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smiller4128, Apr 21, 2012.

  1. Smiller4128 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2010
    #1
    Well I'm REALLY wanting to go out and buy the 17" MacBook Pro right now. HOWEVER, of course with the release of the new Macbook Pros right around the corner (supposedly), I'm of course trying to wait. However, the more I look into it, the less thrilled I am about the new "Ivy Bridge" macbook pros coming out...in terms of the Intel integrated HD 4000...with the macbook pros that will only affect the integrated graphics that are used for less powerful applications correct? So things such as Games or anything major like that it wouldn't really matter since the macbook would do an automatic swicth to the higher end grpahics chip correct? If this is so, then I may just pass on whatever the update is since the current macbook pro already has an amazing screen on it and great graphics (Looking at mainly playing Diablo III which I'm SURE can be played great no matter what macbook pro I get right?)
     
  2. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

    AppleDApp

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2011
    #2
    Ivy bridge macbook pro's wont be out for a few months probably june or july. IF you aren't impressed with ivy bridge why bother waiting? The intel graphics are used to conserve battery life when you aren't going GPU intensive stuff. The other GPU kicks in when you play games. How about getting a refurb MBP or get an EDU discount. Whatever applies.
     
  3. rgarjr macrumors 603

    rgarjr

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    Southern Calif
    #3
    sounds too me like you have money burning hole in pocket. New MBP's probably wont come out until June.
     
  4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2011
    Location:
    UK
    #4
    The worst part is not knowing when they'll come out. I don't understand why Apple don't disclose this sort of info (at least down to the month or quarter). Surely if people had a good estimate they'd be more likely to save the money to buy the product, instead of potentially going elsewhere, or simply spending their money so they can't afford the new release.
     
  5. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #5
    My thoughts exactly, that's the thing. There's not long to go until May so perhaps we'll hear something soon.
     
  6. roofz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2012
    Location:
    Southern California
    #6
    I see what you're saying. The thing is, with the new MBPros, there is almost certainly going to be an update to the dedicated GPU as well, so you would be getting better graphics no matter what.

    To answer your second question... YES. You will be able to play d3 just fine on the late 2011 17" MBP. However, when diablo 4 comes out, the 2011 mbp may not be able to handle it. Just wait a few more days/weeks until the update comes out then get that.

    Furthermore, we're talking the 17" here people. The new quad core intel chips are going to be released next week, it wouldn't make sense for apple to release the new machines in june when the chips are being released in late april.
     
  7. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

    AppleDApp

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2011
    #7
    If Apple did this they would loose sales. IF I told a completely redesigned iPad would be out next week would you buy the then "New iPad" probably not. Simply business.
     
  8. roofz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2012
    Location:
    Southern California
    #8
    I think they should disclose it within the month though. I suspect that they lose a good amount of money from people who would buy the iPad, then seeing a new one released 2 weeks later, return the one they had purchased, and purchase the new one. They then have to sell the first iPad in the refurb store at a $100 discount
     
  9. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2011
    Location:
    UK
    #9
    Yes that's one way of looking at it, but did you read the rest of my post? People may well be more likely to save money for a product with knowledge of when it's released, especially if the current edition is quite old and they want something better. It would stop the temptation to shop elsewhere to a degree. Besides, a company should be far more interested in selling its upcoming product than the previous one. They could announce release dates ahead of time and decrease production of current units accordingly.

    I suppose Apple is fortunate in that their loyal customers build up a lot of their own hype for new products, but I still think Apple should also make the effort. A new iPhone set to release in a month's time would allow time to get everyone's attention and stop them buying that Samsung or whatever.
     
  10. Smiller4128 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2010
    #10
    Well hopefully we hear of some MacBook pro news on Monday or Tuesday...that'll help my decision
     
  11. Smiller4128 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2010
  12. SyncSpin macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2011
    Location:
    Michigan
    #12
    Same boat here. Waiting just for the new MBP to purchase. Transitioning from my iMac 27 2011 to the new MBP and a Apple Display.

    I just cannot justify buying until the new version is out.

    As said above, there just hasn't been any new rumors which makes me feel like its still a ways out.
     
  13. Smiller4128 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2010
    #13
    Yeah I'm starting to think it won't be until they release Mountain Lion or sometime close to it which sucks cause I can't wait that long :/
     
  14. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

    AppleDApp

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2011
    #14
    then buy now.
     
  15. Fluttershy macrumors regular

    Fluttershy

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2012
    Location:
    Australia
  16. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

    AppleDApp

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2011
    #16
    ^^^^This^^^^^
     
  17. Fluttershy macrumors regular

    Fluttershy

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2012
    Location:
    Australia
    #17
    lol - being a nerd i know that if i wait a few more days i could get something better, but alas isnt that like everything
     
  18. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

    AppleDApp

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2011
    #18
    If by days you mean weeks then yes
     
  19. Fluttershy macrumors regular

    Fluttershy

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2012
    Location:
    Australia
    #19
    I'm going with the widespread rumor of a new announcement like tomorrow!
     
  20. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

    AppleDApp

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2011
    #20
    Intel is announcing there Ivy Bridge CPU's. Apple is not holding an event. Best bet is you'll get some clues as to when the new mackbooks will be out on tuesday during Apple's earning call.
     
  21. user418 macrumors 6502a

    user418

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    #21
    This article says Apple may drop the 17" MBP. Scroll down to 3rd article. Better decide soon in case it's true.

    http://www.macrumors.com/
     
  22. jevel macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2003
    #22
    I just bought the 17" and D3 runs smoothly on it. Compared to my ASUS gaming laptop, it was a lot noisier due to the extremely noisy fan on the MBPs.

    If you're thinking about waiting, you should take into consideration that the 17" has been updated a bit later than the smaller siblings on earlier occasions.

    -KJ
     
  23. Stetrain macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2009
    #23
    If the updated models don't offer anything you want (or the 17" is discountinued) then you will probably be able to get a late 2011 model at a good discount in Apple's refurbished store or elsewhere once the new ones are released.
     
  24. phpmaven macrumors 68040

    phpmaven

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2009
    Location:
    San Clemente, CA USA
    #24
    I think they have a whole bunch of folks that are a lot smarter than any of us when it comes to marketing. I think that's proven by their sales numbers.
     
  25. stevey69 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2009
    #25
    i got mine a month ago , i bought it simply knowingly that a new mbp is coming out. honestly, i don't care ... i would rather have something NOW and enjoy it now instead of having to wait till later. things in life like gadgets shouldn't be SUCH hard of a decision. live it up.
     

Share This Page