Still experiencing external display issues with thunderbolt after recent updates

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jrrdnx, May 11, 2011.

1. jrrdnx macrumors member

jrrdnx

Before the recent Software Update 1.4 and EFI Firmware update, my external monitor (24" Apple Cinema Display) would occasionally go black for a few seconds and then the picture would return. It would do this just a couple times a day.

After the updates, it is still having this same problem. In addition, it is having a weird problem where the graphics look corrupted.

Corrupted.jpg

Normal.jpg

The second image is what it looks like normally.

So far, it seems all I have to do is unplug the mDP cable from the Thunderbolt port and plug it back in and it returns to normal.

Is anyone else having this same problem, even after the recent updates?

[Recent MBP, 10.6.7, 2.2GHz Intel Core i7, 750GB HDD, 8GB DDR3]

2. mikecism macrumors newbie

Yep

I have the EXACT same problem. Have applied all the recent patches as of 5/18/11. Still have the problem.

Very easy to replicate. Not sure why Apple is claiming it is fixed.

Very annoying to have to unplug external Cinema Display when it locks up in "scrambled" mode.

C'mon Apple...you have 80 gagillion dollars, full control over your hardware, and you still can write a driver (or firmware) that works?

I have sneaking suspicion there is no software fix, and many of these laptop will need to be replaced. But you'll never hear the word "recall"; just a swapout at the Genius Bar when you complain long enough.

Grrr....

3. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

I'm still on a NVidia based 2010 MBP and waiting for an ATI based 2011 replacement. The reason for the replacement is that with Dual-Link DVI adapters a range of colors get lost and flicker and the screen goes black at least once an hours.

In an Apple store I tried the 2011 MBP with the same screen (30") and adapter and the loss of colors is solved. Also trying an 21" Imac (Nvidia 9400M based) worked. Now you say that on the 2011 MBP even with a native Displayport connection you get black-outs and data-synchronization issues? D*mn! :apple:

The most probable reason for the screen going black and showing garbled output is loss of proper synchronization over the cable path. Either the signal output of the MBP isn't strong enough or there is too much signal loss over the cable or the receiving display doesn't read the signal properly. When you unplug and replugin the cable the MBP and display handshake a new sync. This is why it helps.

4. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

having issues here too with a 13" i5 resuming from sleep in clam mode. Laptop display light comes on constantly, and only a reboot will sometimes fix it. Sometimes, the reboot does the same thing.

5. mikecism macrumors newbie

Yep, I reboot my Macbook once a month...now I get to reboot my display a few times a day. :-(

I would hold off on buying any Macbook Pros for a while. I got bitten by the early adopter bug, and now am suffering the consequences.

As with all proprietary products, wait 6-9 months for the bugs to get shaken out. See OSX releases, iOS releases, etc. Plus you save a few bucks.

6. kunal2sh macrumors newbie

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

A very common issue. Apparently the problem is the Thunderbolt port sending too much power to the display and Apple are reportedly still working on a fix.

8. jrrdnx thread starter macrumors member

jrrdnx

One of the new 15" Macbook Pros with the new Thunderbolt port, 2.2GHz Core i7. More specs in my sig.

Thanks for this link! I'll keep an eye on that thread and see if there's any updates. Apparently some people are getting their 24" Cinema Displays replaced with the 27" and that's resolving the issue? I may have to give Apple support a call about this one; the increase in resolution would be great when working.

9. jrrdnx thread starter macrumors member

jrrdnx

Contacted Apple Support last week about the Cinema Display issues, and the first gentleman I spoke with escalated it to his boss. After a few exchanged phone calls and emails, she sent me the Capture Data app to run after it happened again so she could forward the results on to engineering.

I just got off the phone with her again after she got a response back from engineering, and she basically told me there's nothing she can do. It's an ongoing issue that engineering is researching, so at this time they can't do anything to help me out. She told me to use a different monitor, which I currently don't have the option of doing. Basically, I'm stuck with a $900 Cinema Display that doesn't work right.

Anything else I can do here?

10. kunal2sh macrumors newbie

i meant is that a software? game or wallpaper? looks like mario to me! jus curious!

11. jrrdnx thread starter macrumors member

jrrdnx

xLZnm.jpg

Wallpaper. I've attached my file, but unfortunately I don't remember where I got it from originally although Tineye shows several results.

12. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

I'm running on a 2011 Macbook Pro now. What I already knew was that it would fix bands of colors missing/flickering when a 30" Dual-Link DVI adapter is connected.

I still get drop-outs though, but seems to me that they happen more when using the external display in single-display mode on Windows than when running both the internal + external (either OS). Have to test this a few more days before I can draw real conclusions.

13. mikecism macrumors newbie

I am running 2011 MBP (i7, with Thunderbolt)

24" Apple Cinema Display (ACD).

Problems continue. Looks like the solution from Apple is to buy a new 27" and pay the difference? Thanks Apple.

I am curious, does this happen on any other display? Is it unique to 24" ACD?

14. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Never seen it on my 27" ACD with a 2011 MBP.

15. mikecism macrumors newbie

Still there...

Apple released a Thunderbolt firmware update; reports are that is does not fix it.

It is absolutely astounding the media has not picked up on this. It might seem minor, but there are a lot of Apple Cinema Displays out there 24" out there, and all the new Macbook Pros with Thunderbolt show this behavior.

I'm waiting for the "You're looking at it wrong" email from Jobs ;-)

Still very annoying.

16. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

^

I know. Even this site (MR) has failed to follow up since the first round.

17. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

My guess is that the problem lies more in the 24" ACD than in the new MBPs.

I recently had the logic board replaced in my 24" ACD. Prior to the board going - which I now think is directly attributable to TB output of my 15" i7 2011 MBP - I was having the same display issues and rebooting the display with alarming frequency. The replacement logic board seems to have solved the problem.

I cannot imagine there are many 2011 MBP owners who have their machines docked to 24" ACDs and are NOT experiencing this problem. If the only remedy is a $300 logic board replacement (which may become a necessity) or a new 27" ACD, I suspect other owners are going to sour on what is otherwise a beautiful MBP.

Is anyone using a 2011 MBP with a 24" ACD and NOT experiencing a problem?

18. Floris88 macrumors member

Got the same problems guys....

First I thought it was due to my new MBP so I got it replaced by a new one, this one got the no 'pixeling' problem but does have the flickering problem. Bought the ACD 2years ago at a retailer but it has AppleCare on it.

Will call Apple tomorrow, how much is the difference between the 24 and 27"?

19. mikecism macrumors newbie

20. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

Wow, glad I read this. Was thinking about getting an external display as well to run a dual system ^_^

21. mikecism macrumors newbie

Well, it seems if you go with a 27" you are okay; it's the "older" 24" that are an issue.

You can always just get a nice Dell or brand.

Something specific about Thunderbolt and the 24" ACD.

22. eme jota ce macrumors regular

Basically the solution I have to take, too. So, I pay apple an extra $250 to cure their problem.

Yes, the 27" display is a nicer display, but 24" was just the right amount of real estate for me.

23. mikecism macrumors newbie

One month later....

One month later...again, no fix in sight.

24. mikecism macrumors newbie

Another month...

Another month later....no fix in sight.

25. jrrdnx thread starter macrumors member

jrrdnx

Anybody notice any differences after the latest EFI Firmware Update? Installed it this morning but under the Thunderbolt section in System Profiler it still lists 'No devices connected' for the Port Status.