Still have artifacting and graphical issues with Lion (10.7.1)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AbeFroman77, Aug 26, 2011.

1. AbeFroman77 macrumors 6502

On my 2nd 2011 27" iMac with 10.7.1 update. Fixed the system freeze issue out of sleep when playing HD videos on Youtube/iTunes/QT.

I still get this though:
    [​IMG]

I also get artifacting on Youtube vids.

2. rpmucha23 macrumors newbie

I'm still getting corrupted finder artifacts. But havent had a lockup on youtube video yet after sleep.

3. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

According the Applecare reps I have spoken with, Apple is working on a fix for the finder graphic tearing issue.

4. retrospek macrumors 6502a

retrospek

I get the same issue on my iMac 27". Hoping for a fix from Apple soon..

5. Lankyman macrumors 68000

Go on I give up, what am I supposed to be seeing?

6. heliocentric Guest

The dock reflections

7. Lankyman macrumors 68000

Oh right! not really something one could get worked up over is it? I just use the Mac I don't tend to critic the screen. Same with the alleged yellow tint issue, I was asked for my opinion on this from a friend who said his iMac had a yellow tint. I couldn't see this alleged fault and I'm sure it is just a case of staring at a brilliant white image for too long. Try staring at a white painted wall for a short while - you get the same effect. Just enjoy your purchase.

8. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

You're trolling right? I stated that was an example of artifacting that I'm having. You would be content with this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Lankyman macrumors 68000

So why did your original post contain an example that showed nothing other than a minor irritant? These examples demonstrate your problem far better. I do however, stand by my assertion of the yellow tint syndrome.

10. Qwaf macrumors member

Minor irritant lol. It's signs of something being wrong (be it hardware or software), regardless of how minor you perceive that to be (just the dock), it still isn't right.

I've just had this problem on my 2011 27" iMac (i7, 6970m 2GB) hoping it is a software problem, but I have only had it once so far.

11. Lankyman macrumors 68000

Yea but in the grand scheme of things it's hardly a life changing event. Some people really need to chill out. I have every confidence Apple will sort this out in the fullness of time. In the meantime life goes on.

I've been using a Mac for a few years now and I can't say I'd ever noticed the dock icons had a reflection before today, that's how much such things mean to me. My criteria is - do my programmes work and does the computer do the things I want it to.

12. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

It's threads like this that remind me why I never jump ship to a new OS until at least it's stable/working as intended.
    Snow leopard works just fine in work and play for the time being. :rolleyes:

13. Qwaf macrumors member

I don't see any reactions here that would justify you telling them to "chill out". They're stating their problem in hope to see if anyone else has it, and thus helping them determine if it is a problem unique to them or not. I really don't understand what you're getting at, are you suggesting people should just not bother complaining or talking about it? Because that is all that is happening here, people are talking about it. There is no overreaction or anything of the sort. How do you think Apple find out about these things? People talk about them!

However, I don't think it's wise for you to carry on downplaying this issue - yeah, he perhaps didn't pick the best screenshot to show the issue, but it an issue that requires significant attention because yes, it does effect how you use the system, text and menus become unreadable and almost unusable and videos are horribly broken by it.

When it occurs, that is.

14. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple doesn't ship new iMacs with Snow Leopard so what am I supposed to do? I can't even use a retail SL disc.

15. Lankyman, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

Lankyman macrumors 68000

As you say the original screen shot wasn't the best demo. What puzzles me is the difference between the 21.5" 2011 iMac's with Lion and the 27" models. I upgraded from SL to Lion with my new base 21.5" and have to say the whole experience has been flawless, as for Lion, again flawless (my Mini is also top drawer). What then is it that makes the 21.5" experience so good with users wondering what all the fuss is about i.e. Apple strikes gold again yet 27" model owners wishing they had never heard the word "Lion"? :confused:

16. Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

I've had the same problems, glad to know it's not just me. I've uninstalled flash for now since I don't really use it anyway - it's just there for videos that can't be watched in html5 format on youtube. I hope they can fix it soon.

17. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

You need to find a gray disk that has the proper SL build for your iMac line. This is what I did for my mbp that I bought this month to go from Lion to SL.

18. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

That is odd.

19. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

Where did you find an iMac SL disc?

20. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I had a friend who bought the 2011 mbp before Lion so his gray system disks had SL. I used that to install SL on mines that shipped with lion.

The same can be applied to you.

21. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleCare Tech Support told me you can't put Snow Leopard on 2011 iMacs that came with Lion, only Lion.

22. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

That's a load of BS. The computer I'm running right now was purchased in Aug 15th, came with Lion preinstalled, and currently running SL. Side note: I did swap the harddrives though, but I'm sure you can wipe the hdd and install SL (someone verify this =))

You have to put in a specific build of SL though. For 2011 iMac, it has to be at least 10.6.6 or 10.6.7. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159

23. AbeFroman77, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011

AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple Tech Support is now telling me it's "Software related" from "files missing". ie it's not Lion but something I installed.

email from Apple Tech Support (Senior Advisor)
    "Yes, you can see in the first image, the reflection looks like a file icon, indicating it cannot find the image file for the blue dot that is normally there. Was this issue here after a fresh erase and install with no 3rd party software?"

24. chemistry76 macrumors member

That's a load of BS. This is a widespread problem, and it's not from missing files. I think it's either flash or codec issues. I've had it show up without ever running flash, but after watching some videos through iTunes (quicktime).

25. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have flash installed, although I use Chrome.

Just got this after watching a 1080p video

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's pretty frustrating dealing with Apple Tech Support because they won't acknowledge this as a Lion problem. There's a lot of people with the same issue and this is the 2nd 2011 27" iMac (Full Spec'd) I have with the exact issue.