Still Haven't Noticed Anything Wrong With Apple's Maps... (Rant-ish)

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by KieranDotW, Sep 30, 2012.

1. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

Yes, you read that right. I know, I must be some crazy Apple-centric fanboy who refuses to believe my believed Jobs and/or Cook would ever do anything wrong and no matter what flaws come out of Cupertino, they're all lies. That's not true. Well, not entirely, I am a dedicated Apple user but I try not to let that get to my head. So I'll be ready for whatever kind of ***** people throw at me reading this.

Now that I got that cleared up, let's face it. Half a month in and I still haven't noticed a single problem first-hand with Apple's maps. In fact, I've actually - *gasp* heaven forbid! - noticed some improvements over Google's:

A week ago I was looking up driving distances to a drive-in theater (yup, they still exist) from my city to a small rural town called Perth (in Canada) about an hour away. Or at least that's what Apple said. I double checked on Google and it said 17 hours. Now I've been to this town before and I know it does NOT take anywhere near 17 hours. If anything, it's less than an hour.

So when some fandroids tried to argue with me about Apple's maps, I brought up the issue and they said Google was trying to direct me to Perth, Australia even though I clearly remembered specifying the Canadian Perth and seeing the same route as Apple's. But giving them the benefit if the doubt, 17 HOURS TO DRIVE TO AUSTRALIA FROM CANADA? Something's up.

Later, my friends offered the example of how some of the roads in our city were distorted in Flyover. Well, so far only three cities in Canada actually HAVE flyover, the one we live in just has 3D. And if I'm not mistaken, 3D maps is basically just the satellite, top view image of the city placed atop a contour of the area's ground elevations, so of course it's nothing close to Flyover (I still don't quite understand the purpose of 3D non Flyover maps to be honest). But even with the "3D" icon in the corner, they were CONVINCED they were looking at Flyover and that it was Flyover that was distorting everything. And no matter how many times I clarified, they still ignored me.

TL; DR, I've become more frustrated by people bashing maps who have never even tried them then the maps service itself. I think it really just comes down to that some people just love bashing Apple and finding errors in their services and products, and completely ignoring other companies who make the same mistakes.

But to anyone who HAS read what I've written, have I really gone insane? Does no one else out there not mind/ prefer Apple's maps? Or just haven't really noticed anything awful? And has anyone else noticed any similar gaping errors in Google's maps?

2. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

It's okay that you prefer it. You don't need a forum's approval!

3. NoOneHitsHarder macrumors member

I love the turn-by-turn navigation of Apples new maps. Here in SoCal it's been nothing but flawless :)

4. appswipe macrumors 6502

This is a very large planet. Its nice that your little corner is perfectly mapped but I think it shouldnt be too difficult to understand that in many places then the experience is drastically different.

5. o0jelly0o macrumors regular

I love Apple products and that's all I own, and like you I tried out maps and I didn't find any significant issues (I didn't use Maps much to begin with). Satellite imagery for my particular area is far better, and higher resolution, but there are FAR fewer listed locations, etc. The simple fact is it depends on your area, the Maps is no where near as good as google's though. They need to stop doing gimmick trash features like Flyover, and actually make the basic useable features accurate, and detailed.

6. scottw324 macrumors 6502

I just used it last night Releigh, NC to get to Olive Garden and it routed me just fine. It found the 3 that were in the local area, had the correct numbers for them, and used it for voice directions to get there instead of booting up the Tom Tom in the car. Worked out well. I don't use the satellite imagery so I could care less if it is accurate or distorted.

As long as it keeps working like this I will be happy. I have the navigon app installed on the phone as a backup anyway.

7. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I think this is the issue with people that ARE having a problem.

Don't you think there are MORE people who are having absolutely no issues with maps in their area.

I'm not saying there aren't issues, but you won't hear people complaining about something that works perfectly well for them and only a few that will come on here and claim how great it is for them.

Btw...it has worked perfectly for me in day to day use in my area and where I have travelled in the first week...and I prefer the third party transit options...and I prefer the graphical interface of Apple over Google...

8. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

In before everyone claims their third party apps are based on iMaps and thus their phone is a brick and it's all Apple's doing. Still waiting on their bringing to the forum what those 3P developers intend to due ie. integrate with Google's API or one of the other data sets available to them. It was a choice Apple made to re-do their maps and that doesn't discount the 3P companies from simply still needing to satisfy their customers by providing an alternative solution. They can't simply point to Apple as the cause unless they have an agreement that says Apple wouldn't produce any changes that could impact their apps. I doubt that exists.

----------

I think everyone has heard that 2,345 times already. Time for those impacted to start delivering options they've found as the negative air from the dead horse is a becoming a bit dramatic.

9. dotme macrumors 6502a

People use maps for many reasons. Some are pedestrians in an unfamiliar city, some are drivers. Pull up the area of your choice in the USA, map-only (No satellite/hybrid) and

1) Compare traffic between google's web app and Apple's maps
    2) Compare buildings and points of interest

I "like" Apple maps fine, but they are sparse and don't contain the data that I, specifically, like to see. My use of maps is different than yours.

Point is, Apple does better with turn-by-turn because that wasn't available in the old maps app. Google does better with traffic info and buildings. If you use maps mostly for turn by turn, Apple maps is a huge improvement. If you use maps for finding your way around cities on foot, locating landmarks, or just seeing what traffic is like on arterial roads, Google's solution is (currently) better. My hope is that Apple will dedicate all necessary resources to filling in the weak areas quickly. Nobody wants to wait for them to get around to it in a year or two.

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I'm sure everyone will agree. Now it will also be interesting to see how the 3P Developers react and if they are willing to incorporate more options vs just the default maps into their next releases. It will also be interesting to see what Google Does. There's more to the mix than just what Apple is going to do.

11. cjddrum1 macrumors regular

Oh really? people are bashing it for no reason huh? I was all for maps too, until last night when I needed to find my hotel and it literally led me out to the middle of a ****ing corn field....Terrible.

12. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

would be helpful to post up the name of the hotel and address you were looking for so others can look it up first hand.

13. KieranDotW thread starter macrumors 6502a

What about a few years ago when I used Google maps for directions to a (now-closed) chocolate factory outside of town, and it lead me in a giant circle, passing the same freaking barn more times than I could count?

People don't realize it's not just Apple.

14. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

It had been fine for me until it starting interpreting my home as the entire Yorkshire Dales National Park. Now it suggests some really crazy routes that never arrive home. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349019910.090741.jpg

15. Online macrumors member

Apple maps has worked ok here in Anchorage, Alaska. I have only found one address wrong so far and reported it.

16. cynics macrumors G3

Did you really keep driving around in a circle on the same roads passed the same sights (barn) more times then you could count? That's just embarrassing.

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I've tried it out a bit to see if I could find any problems with it, so far none with directions where I am. The satellite imagery is in Black and White, but I can deal with that.

----------

Some people do stupid things because google tells them to, that's why you have lawsuits like this.

18. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Many 3rd Party developers are now scrambling to distance themselves from Apple's API, but that will obviously take time- especially when they've already been putting their resources into updating for iOS6 and the iPhone 5.

Interesting how you say we can't point to "Apple as the cause" right after you state "It was a choice Apple made."

Apps have worked fine for years, Apple made the choice to change, things no longer work. It seems fairly clear cut to me on where the blame should be placed.

Of course, with this same debate going on in multiple other threads, I don't see why you felt the need to start it again here.

19. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

No doubt these 3P Developers were aware of the change to the maps application, so if they have been involved in development of iOS6 and iP5 updates why the delay in releasing apps that are not referencing other data sets?
    Because again, 3P developers were not left in the dark on this. They initially chose to tie to the default application vs other data sets and with the awareness of iOS6 Map changes they too were aware of the pending change.

Once more time, Apple didn't catch these developers off-guard. They have a role to play in coming to you, their customers, with a product that works. Just because Apple evolves their applications and OS doesn't negate that they have a role to play in insuring your support and happiness with their product that they decide how is integrated with mapping data.

because I've asked in multiple locations what feedback users of these apps might have received from the companies and have yet to see any response. So in efforts to keep the questions from being further buried, I posted it again.

20. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

The only people who generally post about something is when they have something negative to say about it.

The vast majority do not post because the software works flawlessly.

Its really frustrating that people living in some podunk town in some 2nd tier market (for Apple) don't realize that Apple has far more important things to worry about like major US cities.

And before these people go off on the "but Google tangent" it took Google years to roll out functionality in the United States let alone 2nd tier markets like the UK or Germany.

21. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I have no doubts that they were aware that Apple was going to change the maps. Apple had been extremely vocal that they were leaving Google, creating their own maps, and that they were going to be the best maps ever.

That said, I don't think any other developers fully realized how poor the maps would be or were in some areas until iOS6 was officially released nor do I think they're to blame in that regard. They were told that the maps would be as good or better and, with accurate maps having been readily available for many years, I don't believe that was an unfair assumption for them to make.

A 3rd party developer's main goal is to make sure their own software works. With a new OS and screen size, their focus should have been testing their own features and making sure everything was running smoothly and fully compatible.

Why would they go out of their way to add another big feature 'just in case' Apple fell through on all of their promises?

Yes, you posted it again, in a thread where that wasn't being discussed.

----------

Nearly every issue I've posted about was either inside a major city or in the suburbs of Manhattan. 20 miles north of the city isn't a "podunk town in some 2nd tier market."

22. Lightey macrumors regular

Seeing that I can't drive yet, I only use Maps for walking directions, business phone numbers/addresses, or for seeing how long a car ride is going to be. So far, I haven't really found anything to be worse than it used to be.

23. pdqgp, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I'm sure they had access to the maps revisions just as everyone else though. Again, just like those here who had seen the maps issues since mid-June, I don't think it was a surprise to see what was delivered in the final product. I don't recall seeing anything from Apple that said they were addressing the mistakes or lack of public transportation or bike routes, etc. What they provided them to work with is what they likely based their product interface from. One does not expect a 3P Developer to make assumptions. I expect them to test the product fully.

One would think that would also involve insuring the maps portion works and is accurate. Again, I worked for a software company selling ERP for years and we integrated with core applications like JD Edwards and yes, changes like this occurred and it was up to us to test all aspects of the software including the final results just as the end user would. Often times we found errors within the core app and reported them back. We did that because in the end, it impacted our customers and such testing was part of our insuring quality.

Again, I'm sure they were aware of the accuracy issues or lack of Public Transit or Bike Trails, etc. and if so I would think they would want to integrate directly with Google Again. Especially if one of the features that was removed was a key element to their application. If it wasn't key but the accuracy of the maps is then again, complete testing and awareness to the accuracy issues is expected. I mean if a group of users here is seeing the errors as of June if not earlier, I would not see any reason a developer wouldn't have been aware.

It's relevant and needed brought up as I'm not the only one mentioning it in the threads that are active. No reason it shouldn't be discussed as it's a point you and many others keep making so let's keep the discussion on the matter going.

24. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

No joke, whats up with people coming in and bragging about something as lame as a product actually working? Is that where we are now with Apple, starting treads about their stuff working? WOW!:eek:

25. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...and who's to say that they didn't report back to Apple?

Again, there is no information saying that they haven't or won't do that. I simply stated that, with the official launch of iOS6 and the iPhone 5, that they probably have had their hands full. Time will tell either way.

That you want to remove focus from Apple, who have already admitted they have crappy maps, and place it on the developers who had fully functioning apps before hand and were promised the same or better maps, is laughable.

For them, it's only been released for a few weeks and, even if they had a few months warning, major modifications and the following testing can take time. Apple has had years to buy, build and develop and they still dropped the ball.

I didn't say all the threads, I pointed out this one. You're "in before" comment is what started (yet another) debate which could be found in numerous other threads and once again shows that you're here looking for an argument, nothing more.