Still in 10.5.8 and waiting

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sdahe, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Hello Guys,

I haven't install SL yet because Quickbooks Pro 2007 doesn't run in it and CS3 is having few problems. I'm waiting to see if Apple fixes all these problems...

Anyone out there still using 10.5.8 and waiting for 10.6.2?

2. neowillendit macrumors member

neowillendit

Can't say I'm waiting for v.10.6.2...more like waiting for v.10.6.5 at least. ;)

So, I'll be on v.10.5.8 for a while!! :apple:

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Plenty of people are still happy with Leopard.

4. phixiuz macrumors regular

I'm fine with Leopard, no beach balls in contrast with trying to install Snow Leopard twice (upgrade, fresh).

5. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

Apple will not fix the issues in CS3 Adobe will have to, and well they pretty much said nada. They aint doin' it.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I always wait awhile.

Yep!

7. almac68 macrumors member

almac68

I did a fresh install of SL 10.6.1 and I have to say, it runs faster than Leopard. And the space used on my HDD is half of what Leopard needed. Love it. I am using Photoshop CS4 and so far seems to be working fine with SL. Don't have the other software mentioned so can't say much if it will work on mine.

8. SolidShadow macrumors member

I have a 1.1, 2.66 mac pro. I bought a new internal drive just for snow leopard. Zeroed out the data for the hell of it and did the cleanest install possible. I’ll admit didn’t really test much and I don’t have all my software installed yet. The only problem I have is my Radeon HD 3870 fan is ramping up the at lower temps than normal. Rendering web pages in Safari sounds like I’m playing world of warcraft.

So in the end I’ve been sticking with 10.5.8 on my older drive until 10.6.2. Then I’ll see if the update to graphics drivers brings the fan noise back to normal. Otherwise I’ll keep updating it as updates come and checking to see if it’s worth going to it as my main boot drive. Some of the new features are nice so I would like to switch over but it isn’t ready enough for me yet.

9. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

im still on 10.5.8, cant complain...its perfect as it is.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Sticking with 10.5.8 for now. My Macs run well enough on Leopard.

11. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Wow, all you guys are missing out. Snow Leopard is FANTASTIC for me.

I haven't run into anything that made me want to use crappy Leopard.

I think Apple was right... they really sat down and refined the HECK out of Snow Leopard to make it as good as they possibly can.

Can't please everybody I guess.

Also, remember... no software is perfect, but I think Snow Leopard has less flaws than Leopard 10.5.8!

12. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

That's probably the consensus of everybody that did a clean SL install. What they don't realize though is they probably would've achieved the same level of *cough* "snappiness" *cough* had they just done a clean install of Leopard thereby removing some of the bloat. (Less the added tweaks in SL of course).

So all your time on 10.5 made you yearn for Tiger?

While I agree for the most part, SL was not a major release and shouldn't have been hyped as such.

That's always relative to each individual user and their current arsenal of applications.

13. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

God, Spaz sounds like a Windows 7 sickofant. It's more or less the same pathetic talk over there. Like the world will end if you don't use this. Or you suck because you never upgraded. As if you have some sort of contagious disease.

Call the previous version pish so to speak. Tell people they are missing out? on what, a club? sheepies?

It amuses me so much the space gain people keep praising when all it's changed is how Snow Leopard does the space size calculations.

14. bass93 macrumors regular

I'm still using 10.5.8 because I haven't yet had a reason to upgrade. I'll be upgrading before Christmas, though, because my Mac is on the up-to-date program. So it will only cost me $10.

The best thing about Apple is that when they do something, they almost always do it right. I just switched to OS X and I am loving it!

15. Amdahl macrumors 65816

The mere thought is ridiculous. Go look at the areas of interest in the most recent seed for 10.6.2.

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Did you read what I wrote? I said that there's nothing in Snow Leopard that makes me want to go back to Leopard. Having used Snow Leopard, I couldn't go back to Leopard... I like Snow Leopard so much more than Leopard.

When I was using Leopard for the past 2 years, I didn't want to go back to Tiger, so I don't know where you got that idea from.

I'm sure that when the next OS comes out, I'll switch to that and I won't like Snow Leopard anymore... that's just the way it works. You upgrade and forget about it. You don't need to stay on 10.5.8... in my opinion.

I was just saying that Leopard people are missing out on the speed and reliability of Snow Leopard. It's running rock solid on my machine. I don't know why people are crying about it so much.

Fine, stay on 10.5.8, but Snow Leopard is JUST LIKE 10.5.8 except it's BETTER. Now, why would anyone wanna stay on 10.5.8? I would understand if Snow Leopard was a piece of crap but it's definitely been a better experience than Leopard was and Leopard was excellent.

17. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I'm sure SN is a fine upgrade and it will eventually find its way to my iMac but for now, I'm perfectly happy with Leopard and just don't feel inclined to bother with upgrading at present.

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah? What's your point. Those issues are not affecting me in any way. It's good to know they're fixing things, but there was probably things that needed to be fixed for 10.5.8, but they released 10.6 instead.

Are you saying that 10.5.8 was without bugs? There are bugs with 10.5.8 just as there are bugs with 10.6.1, but for me, Snow Leopard is running so much smoother than Leopard... especially doing things like accessing AFP machines outside of your LAN.... waaaaay faster.

But, hey... whatever you're into.

Leopard is fine if you don't know anything else. After using Snow Leopard now, when I boot into Leopard... I can really tell the difference between the 2 OS's. Snow Leopard wins at everything.

Lemme just say this. There's nothing I miss about Leopard. NOTHING! Everything I want is in Snow Leopard. I couldn't be happier.

19. celticpride678

I was in this same situation. I though I would be waiting for a while, but then a user posted something that made a lot of sense to me. People that don’t have problems with Snow Leopard, won’t post anything. People with problems will. There are more people without problems than with problems.

I then decided to upgrade to Snow Leopard and I could not be happier. All my apps worked, its faster and I am loving the new features/improvements.

I had one issue and that was Airport not auto reconnecting after sleep. However, I have already figured out the issue and now I am going strong.

Go ahead and upgrade. It is worth it.

Another thing to consider is, it will only get more stable. With more app updates and more .X releases, Snow Leopard becomes even better.

20. jofallon macrumors newbie

The widespread Rosetta issues alone are keeping me from trying again.

Considering the time and money I spent upgrading applications for Snow Leopard before I got it, only to see a pretty steady stream of WindowServer crashes (bug reports did go to Apple)...

And the RAID issues are seemingly still not fixed. No hurry for me. SL may be faster, but there were hardly any major improvements from the user's viewpoint; and a lot of reprogramming needed for developers, but the sound if it.

21. Scallywag macrumors regular

You did, thanks for that ;)

I got an infraction, haha!!!

The only thing keeping me from being a reluctant fanboy is the iPhone 3.1 software... which sucks (for me). Otherwise I recommend Apple all the way... as I imagine we all do...eh?...eh?

22. old-wiz macrumors G3

Don't forget there's a time limit on buying the up-to-date disk.

23. sputacus macrumors regular

Did an upgrade to SL and got the increase an noticeable increase in performance. I'm another one who's NOT missing 10.5.8 (which was also a solid performer on my system). I know there are some who are touting their "clean-install" prowess - but from where I'm sitting, it appears to be lot of time spent only to get results that are at best no better than what I got doing the upgrade!!! :D

24. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

@ TheSpaz: jeez whats your problem? you heckle at everyone thats not at the same point as you. some feel comfortable at where they're at, why would they be missing anything? i HAVE snow leopard and i sure did tried it out. i downgraded back to 10.5.8 because I like it better (i am entitle to my opinion). We dont need your lame ass comments all over this thread (or even this forum). I know for a fact im not missing anything. I can careless for how the new expose works or how the new stack looks. They all work. might look a little different, but who gives?

BTW: you're a demi-god and you dont even know how to multi-quote? is this how you rack up your post count?

25. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

You called me the dreaded "A" word :eek:

The mods here live in a convent and find this offensive. You have corrupted the minds of all the kiddies that read your post. :D:D