Still need iPhone? Ignore Availability.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PAH Mac, Jul 23, 2008.

1. PAH Mac macrumors member

I know this has probably been reported before but if you are still looking for an iPhone I would completely ignore Apple's availability website and just go to the store when they open. The site showed that my local Apple store wouldn't have any phones the past two days and they got shipments in both days. Luckily I went yesterday when they opened and waited around for a while to see if they got any in. Sure enough they did! Employee said there has only been one or two days since launch that they didn't get any phones in. Why does Apple bother having this availability site if it is completely inaccurate? Anyway, blown away by my first iPhone! :)

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

The availability status on Apple's website represents the current stock at that store at 9 PM local time.

So yes, at the stores you went to, at 9PM (typically closing time depending on where your store is) they perhaps had no phones, and as shown by your post, it was true that they were out when you first arrived in the morning.

But yes, when apple receives new stock they sell it immediately. So it's best to check throughout the day.

3. atlken77 macrumors member

Additionally don't be discouraged even if there is a sign outside that says the 3G is not available. I have seen people walking out with a new 3G when the sign is out. If you ask and they say no - you are in no worse shape than you were before....

4. packetjunkie macrumors regular

Website said sold out - stopped by Apple store nearby at 3:30pm, waited an hour and got one of the last 5. The person said they are still getting daily shipments and selling out by the end of the day.

5. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

are they really selling their daily stock and replenishing every day?

6. packetjunkie macrumors regular

According to the sale person that's the case. AT&T store nearby said they were probably on a 5 week delay and you would probably do better ordering online.

7. sn0wman macrumors newbie

8. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

Each time I walked into the Apple Store they always have the iPhones. The only time they didnt have them when was in the evening. So my advice is go sometime during the day. You should be able to get one.

9. sibruk macrumors 6502a

In this day and age, with electronic stock control systems and all the web front end options, you would think they could cobble together a live stock enquiry, or at least cache a snapshot every 15 minutes. Just think how many telephone calls they wouldn't have to answer!

10. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Change your clock to past 9pm and you'll be able to see pretty much live status.

11. sn0wman macrumors newbie

Amen brother. Every Apple store seems to have no idea if they're getting a shipment or not, so the truly miraculous part is that the iPhones show up at all with that kind of inventory tracking...

12. jakeacc macrumors regular

I'm confident that such technology exists. I'm also confident that Apple doesn't want customers to know the exact inventory.

13. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Ebay...

I bet you can sell your iphone for over 900 $ even without a box.

14. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

15. dubious macrumors newbie

+1

I've watched the raw data for the past couple days. I can see the stores in Chicago getting stock in the morning and then going out of stock toward the end of the day. This morning every store had stock of all models.

16. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Yes and no. As of 10am this morning, my local Apple Store showed none available. I got there at 10:20am and bought one "left over from yesterday". Got home, checked the site again - still showed as sold out at my store. But it's MUCH better than the site Apple wants you to check after 9pm each night.

17. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I got mine last Thursday. The availability was all red for my store but I called (Apple Store not AT&T which is impossible to communicate with) and on Wed, they said, yes - in stock but don't bother with the 40 minute drive.
    On Thurs, yes - in stock should be plenty.

So, just call when the store opens, or, if you are close, pay a visit but be ready to wait.

Our Apple Store, one guy was getting a tutorial on the phone and literally took an hour himself of the drone's time.

18. xerostyles macrumors newbie

I would disagree. Showed all three out of stock at my local store for this morning, which was the case. Early morning shipment arrived when I was there, and instantly it showed all three in stock. An hour later 8GB sold out, as reported online. I saw a man purchase the last 16GB black, and 10 minutes later the online checker reflected this.

I think you are all ignoring an important fact: The availability check is not responsible for the high demand of the product. In the time it takes you to drive to the store, there is a definitely possibility that they will sell out!

19. PAH Mac thread starter macrumors member

My problem with the availability tool is that it gives the impression that it is showing you availability for the next day. It says to check after 9pm to see if your store will have phones the next day but it is really just showing whether or not a particular store was sold out as of 9pm. I'm assuming that most stores are sold out by 9 pm. I want to know who will get shipments the next day. Apple knows what stores will get shipments. Why not account for this with the availability tool? Anyway, as people have said just call or go in and wait a bit and you will probably get a phone.

20. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

In some ways though, that would be confusing for the average consumer, as, while Apple knows what stores will get shipments, several factors that Apple doesn't know impact when the shipment will arrive. I'm guessing if it was as you suggested, people would show up at opening only to be furious that phone might not show up until 1-2 PM.

Eh, who am I kidding, people are going to complain regardless. :p

21. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure Apple employees are supposed to hold back a couple of iPhones because I remember I was in a mall Apple store and a delivery guy came and was dropping off a couple boxes.

I SAW the genius open them and toss them in the drawer behind his desk. I saw the white and black boxes. People were coming inside and he just kept telling everyone they were out of stock. Then the store closed and low and behold at 9pm they're available for tomorrow morning.

Pretty messed up but I guess that's marketing :/

22. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

They have to inventory it before they sell it. Just because a shipment comes in does not mean it is inventoried.

23. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Agreed. The online availability had some stores sold out down in Georgia and Florida and both stores had some the next day per friends. In fact, one of the Florida stores had more than plenty

So, I guess the stores can be slow in getting around to updating them

Especially now when people shouldn't be waiting in lines for them anymore

24. werkedm3 macrumors member

Picked mine up today thanks to this thread. I figured apples online availability would be correct, but I guess the problem is they receive shipments in the morning, so it doesn't update at night. Got there around 10:30 and was out in about half hour. A little line formed, I was the 2nd person, and maybe 10 behind me when I was leaving.

25. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

I was told that if they don't have more that 50 at close then they cannot issue the green light. So it is quite possible that a store could have 40 of them for the next morning but the pointless availability check doesn't accept this as viable stock.