Still no auto pause for Cycling or walking.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by enduro0125, Sep 19, 2017.

1. enduro0125 macrumors regular

enduro0125

Auto pause while running but still not able to use while cycling or hiking.

WTF?

2. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Yep. Should have auto start activity like fitbit too.

3. enduro0125 thread starter macrumors regular

enduro0125

4. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

We're out here but have no reply other than to agree. I wish it had the feature. My Garmin bike computer will do it. You can pause by pressing the two side buttons during the workout which is easier than sliding over to do it but I have forgotten to start it again several times.

5. profets macrumors 601

Yup.. always a bit annoyed when I need to pause it. Or even more so when I do pause it, but then forget to resume.

6. enduro0125 thread starter macrumors regular

enduro0125

Yeah ,I’ve done the same.
    I just stopped even trying.

It’s just frustrating that it works for one discipline but not any of the others.

7. Panther61 macrumors newbie

Panther61

Strava app has auto pause for biking. I also want it for hiking.

8. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68020

I assume it works for running because you stop moving your arms, but how would it know to pause for a bike ride? This is me asking because I don’t know. If you down a mountain and coast would it pause?

9. Sgt93 macrumors 6502a

Sgt93

My Garmin Fenix 3HR had it. Something we need to let Apple know we want included for sure. What a bummer.

10. enduro0125 thread starter macrumors regular

enduro0125

I would think it goes off your phones GPS.
    I don’t use my arms that much when riding.

When they announced the auto pause for running last year I asked about doing it for other activities

Guess my voice hasn’t been heard.

11. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

I don't know why Apple can't do this when 3rd party apps can. I've been running the Ride Report app to capture my rides automatically. I commute by bicycle, so I make a lot of short trips that add up. Ride Report runs in the background and will capture those, but it's not perfect... and maybe that's why Apple has shied away from it. Sometimes Ride Report thinks I've stopped riding when I'm really just going very slowly up a steep hill :p It's mostly pretty accurate though. The only thing is that it quite offer all of the features of Workout, Strava, etc. No elevation gained, for example. For that reason I run the Workout app for rides when I'm actually out for exercise. I have to remember to Pause Ride Report or there will be some duplicate information written to the Health and Activity apps. You can pause Ride Report for one hour, until tomorrow, or until you manually un-pause. Overall I'm pretty happy with it, although it would be unnecessary if Apple just built in some automation. Ride Report can figure out, with darn good accuracy, when I'm traveling by car vs by bicycle. Seems like Apple ought to be able to do that as well.

Sean

12. d.b.c macrumors member

Does anybody know if this has finally made it to watch OS 5?!

13. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Old post I'm replying to but still relevant info.
    GPS. Once it detects no forward movement it should be able to deduce you have stopped. It does not but I wish it did. When I pause my Garmin on the bars pauses (500 model from years ago) but watch keeps going. I have the beta installed so its not there still.

14. Arni99 macrumors 6502

I use „Runtastic Pro“ on my iPhone + Watch and it offers the auto-pause feature for cycling.

15. enduro0125 thread starter macrumors regular

enduro0125

So does Strava.

What’s your point?

16. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Who knows why Apple does what they do. A better question is, why would a real cyclist not being using the Strava app?

17. enduro0125 thread starter macrumors regular

enduro0125

I’m not a real cyclist but I like to use both Strava and my watch.

18. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Your watch has Strava. Do you mean you use Strava as a platform to upload activities to, but prefer to use non-Strava apps to do so?

19. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

What is a real cyclist? I don't use Strava, do track all my rides, don't study the data like I did in the past because I found more joy in just riding and recording.

20. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

The term real cyclist is just bait, you know that right?

21. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Do you really want to auto-pause? When I finish a bike ride, I want to see total time / distance stats, not "you were biking for 52 minutes" (but really out there for one hour, spent 8 minutes stopped at red lights).

22. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Thats fine and in the end I would guess I'm not a real cyclist anyhow. I ride quite a bit but do it for stress relief and weight loss only.
    I do because the time sitting reduces the moving averages shown. I don't have to maintain a certain average but I try as a high level goal.

23. Monkswhiskers macrumors member

Average speed is an important stat for cyclists, no auto pause corrupts it.

24. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Total time has less meaning than moving time. Without auto-pause or manually pausing activities your pace/power calculations will have a stream of zeros making a mess of your averages and making a nonsense of your data.

Total time is basically the least useful field you could have in any activity.

25. enduro0125 thread starter macrumors regular

enduro0125

I have a Wahoo computer that runs Strava and my HR monitor.

I like the Apple fitness app as a stand alone program.