Still no auto pause for Cycling or walking.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by enduro0125, Sep 19, 2017.

1. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

And those Apple app activities, you don't want those on Strava?

2. enduro0125 thread starter macrumors regular

enduro0125

I’m dense I guess.

I’m not following you?

3. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Not dense, just not explaining yourself well.

Reading between the lines, the only explanation I can come up with would be that you don't want double Strava syncs as you're getting one sync from the Wahoo to Strava, then you want a record of that activity on the Apple Health app.

Is that the situation?

4. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Yep, one here (cycle 30 miles everyday) I use Strava on my watch, that has auto pause. Only use the watch workout app for walking & swimming.

5. enduro0125 thread starter macrumors regular

enduro0125

Sort of....

I don’t want the double sync but still like the watch native cycling workout(stand alone )

Also not aware on how to sync my Strava w/o onto the watch activity app

6. d.b.c macrumors member

As it seems I might have restarted this fun: I've been using workout app on Apple watch for riding and then transferring data to Strava using healthfit app which has worked well.

But as a lot of my cycling is commuting I much prefer auto-pause (which I had on strava app on phone before I got the watch) as I prefer to know roughly how long I've cycled, not how long I've stared at red lights in London (yes some of us do occasionally wait for the lights to change....:) or sometimes when I arrive I've forgotten to stop it or if I stop off at supermarket on way home and sometimes forget to pause it.

But had read and heard a lot of issues with strava app on watch and initially had trouble getting the two to sync and also I like in the apple workout being able to just switch screen quickly to control music - see what's playing etc (when waiting at those lights).

But just done a couple of trips with Strava app on phone (which has auto pause) and it seems to be working so I guess will use that for now until Apple introduce it.

7. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Essentially it's all a mess because everyone's competing. Strava and Trainingpeaks won't sync to each other. To get anything off of Apple's Healthkit you need to use a third party app. And even if you do manually down and re-up files (who can be arsed!) you still risk stripping data (eg. GPX files lose heart rate data if you d/l and u/l to another site, like from Strava to TrainingPeaks, in which case you need a browser plugin for Strava on Chrome to d/l as TCX instead before re-upping!).

What a joke!

And then you get into the Yoga and cross-training.. very few of those apps that record time and heart rate have any meaningful partnership with any decent platform like TP or Strava. The whole fitness/health thing is a complete mess. Hardware is there, software is niche and miserable. It's a massive pain to have all your workouts and daily activity in one place and analysed meaningfully. Pathetic.

8. DerekJ macrumors newbie

DerekJ

--- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2018 ---
    Well my 2 Garmins auto pause and on a ride last week they both showed 33 miles the Apple Watch doesn’t pause and adds miles to your ride, it showed 46 miles. That is not acceptable.

9. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

I’d assume just like the watch can auto detect workouts, if you’re stationary enough after starting a cycling session on Apple Watch you will get an alert asking are you still cycling like it does for other workouts. Although I haven’t tested it.

10. enduro0125 thread starter macrumors regular

enduro0125

11. dgreening macrumors member

I use MapMyRide and they too have auto pause and have a watch app.

12. enduro0125 thread starter macrumors regular

enduro0125

Yet the Apple watch still does not.