Still no "close all" function

bluewomble88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2009
Seriously!?

How hard is it to have a button when you double click the home key that let's you instantly close all apps in the background??

MosesOlsen

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
Because it really is unnecessary. iOS doesn't run the same as Android. When the apps are "running" in the background, they really aren't running.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Enough people have said that technically it's not necessary but, like the OP, I still want it . . .

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Seriously!?

How hard is it to have a button when you double click the home key that let's you instantly close all apps in the background??
how hard is it for you to understand that is not necessary and actually detrimental to close all apps all the time?

CutterSlade

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Because it really is unnecessary. iOS doesn't run the same as Android. When the apps are "running" in the background, they really aren't running.
That doesn't matter because they still appear when you open up the task switcher. It's annoying having to close all apps one by one every now and then. If you don't then you're gonna have to search through tens of items to find the one you want.

It has nothing to do with battery life.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Wait, a feature no one expected to be there isn't actually there...this is outrageous!

klamse25

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
This doesn't matter.
The only reason you need to close an app manually is if it is frozen

It saves it in RAM when you close it.
In the RAM it isn't being actively processed.

It drives me crazy when people think closing apps saves battery/performance.
It's nothing like minimizing a program on a PC... NOTHING LIKE IT.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the website solace posted:

"The truth is, those apps in your multitasking menu are not running in the background at all: iOS freezes them where you last left the app so that it's ready to go if you go back. Unless you have enabled Background App Refresh, your apps are not allowed to run in the background unless they are playing music, using location services, recording audio, or the sneakiest of them all: checking for incoming VOIP calls , like Skype. All of these exceptions, besides the latter, will put an icon next to your battery icon to alert you it is running in the background."

http://lifehacker.com/quitting-apps-in-ios-actually-worsens-battery-life-1560086834

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
This doesn't matter.
The only reason you need to close an app manually is if it is frozen
lol. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in the obsessively closing apps camp. But you just quoted a site which listed other reasons to close an app. Skype's a great example.

still laughing at the 'Unless you have enabled Background App Refresh' as if BAR is such a minor exception that it's barely worth consideration.

If someone's happy to have a certain app use BAR but temporarily want to stop it (because it uses more battery), why does it bother you so much if that someone chooses to quit the app? Lot simpler than going into the settings, disabling, remembering to enabled later. And it's besides the point. The point is that quitting apps has an effect in more cases these days. This isn't iOS 4.

to be clear though, i am not at all bothered by the lack of a 'close all'

Last edited:

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
It might be just me but, if I leave an app like Maps in the bg (that utilizes Location services), the battery does drain a lot faster.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2009
It might be just me but, if I leave an app like Maps in the bg (that utilizes Location services), the battery does drain a lot faster.
Only if you are using it to route you somewhere. If you cancel the route before closing, it does nothing.

BaldiMac

macrumors 604
Jan 24, 2008
If someone's happy to have a certain app use BAR but temporarily want to stop it (because it uses more battery), why does it bother you so much if that someone chooses to quit the app? Lot simpler than going into the settings, disabling, remembering to enabled later.
Closing/Quitting an app does not affect BAR.

And it's besides the point. The point is that quitting apps has an effect in more cases these days. This isn't iOS 4.
Nope. In that respect, it's pretty much the same as iOS 4.

Last edited:

marlman

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Not worried about closing apps I just want to be able to delete all emails in one go!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.