Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hedgepig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2015
Hi. Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond for and against seconds. I see no reason why it can't be an option for those that want it. And it seems like many do. So if you do, leave some feedback with Apple and hopefully one day they might appear! Even if you don't want digital seconds, send feedback anyway in the spirit of more personalisation for the "most personal device ever"! Cheers.

Reactions: bobob and CarlJ

prezasti

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Hi. Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond for and against seconds. I see no reason why it can't be an option for those that want it. And it seems like many do. So if you do, leave some feedback with Apple and hopefully one day they might appear! Even if you don't want digital seconds, send feedback anyway in the spirit of more personalisation for the "most personal device ever"! Cheers.

With luck, one day Apple will have a face option where you can choose the entire layout, not just a pre-themed layout. Where you can choose round face or square face, digital or analog and what type of analog hands or digital layout you want. I know I've been in debates here about 3rd party face options, but I think apple could easily make an "open layout" and allow the freedom to change the face to suit the user, given the style options they have already created.

Reactions: Hedgepig

Hedgepig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2015
I'd imagine that digital seconds would clutter up the modular face even more than it is already. And I think smug responses and obvious answers are all you're going to get in a forum. Apple isn't going to come in here and answer your question as to why there are no digital seconds on the Apple Watch. Sorry to disappoint you.
I'd just like to point out that this thread has now had over 100 replies in 2 days. The vast majority have been useful and have added to the debate both for and against. So it would seem your opinion of your fellow forum users is quite wrong. Perhaps smug and obvious isn't the default on here after all. Although you soon disappeared when things didn't quite work out for you. Perhaps your bully boy tactics have had their day? And as for moderators liking your posts... I despair.

With luck, one day Apple will have a face option where you can choose the entire layout, not just a pre-themed layout. Where you can choose round face or square face, digital or analog and what type of analog hands or digital layout you want. I know I've been in debates here about 3rd party face options, but I think apple could easily make an "open layout" and allow the freedom to change the face to suit the user, given the style options they have already created.
That would be perfect. An open layout would solve many problems. Sadly, that's never been the Apple way. I can see their point, they don't want their designs messed about with. But a little more customisation would be good. Having said that, digital seconds should really be fundamental on a digital watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Of course they have. They are however able to use a digital watch as long as they have visible seconds. My wife has used digital watches in the past.

Of course. The point is the digital format isn't absolutely required for counting cardiac pulsations or peripheral pulse waves like a couple of members suggested.

Last edited:

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Right. OP just wants to see the seconds for the heck of it. No other reason.

And you wanted to purchase an Apple Watch just for the heck of it. Why do you care so much about his reasoning? This thread is frigging nauseating. As a long time MR member, I'd hoped that most of this sort of behavior was long gone, but apparently not. To see a moderator giving his thumbs up to some of these childish and petty responses is awful. I'm embarrassed by the behavior in here like I haven't been in years.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
And you wanted to purchase an Apple Watch just for the heck of it. Why do you care so much about his reasoning? This thread is frigging nauseating. As a long time MR member, I'd hoped that most of this sort of behavior was long gone, but apparently not. To see a moderator giving his thumbs up to some of these childish and petty responses is awful. I'm embarrassed by the behavior in here like I haven't been in years.

Excuse me? Let me sum up the thread for you again

OP: I want digital seconds on the digital watch face
Us: Why? are you in a field that requires that much precision?
OP: No, I just want seconds on the digital watch face
Us: Do you have any other reason other than that?

where is the "childish" response here? Coming to the conclusion that the OP just wants it for the heck of it?.

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007

where is the "childish" response here? Coming to the conclusion that the OP just wants it for the heck of it?.

Glad to see that the hostile tone continues. How about this? Why do you need to know why he wants it? Why is it required that his profession dictates a feature he wants? Can't he just want it because he wants it? The answer is: yes, he can.

Hedgepig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2015
Glad to see that the hostile tone continues. How about this? Why do you need to know why he wants it? Why is it required that his profession dictates a feature he wants? Can't he just want it because he wants it? The answer is: yes, he can.

I don't see what's wrong with just wanting it for the heck of it! Besides, I just want an accurate representation of time in a digital form. The resistance to this is insane. Nobody will believe me, but I bought the Apple Watch primarily as a watch. There doesn't need to be a professional application for wanting to see seconds. It's not like I'm asking for nanoseconds. Extend your logic, why bother with minutes? They only clutter the display. Why bother with the time at all? More room to see lunar phases or stocks or how many calories you've failed to burn. It's a watch! I wear it to see the time. I don't think you have to be anal, OCD or Stephen Hawking to feel the need to divide a minute. Digitally.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
All I can say is those idiots over at Omega must be complete hacks ... how stupid of them to engineer something like this, when nobody in the world wants or needs it?

Omega_SkywalkerX33_2.jpg

/s

Reactions: Hedgepig

Hedgepig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2015
All I can say is those idiots over at Omega must be complete hacks ... how stupid of them to engineer something like this, when nobody in the world wants or needs it?

Omega_SkywalkerX33_2.jpg

/s
Every watch manufacturer that's ever included a seconds display. They're all idiots clearly. The time? On a watch? Pah.

Reactions: CarlJ

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I don't see what's wrong with just wanting it for the heck of it! Besides, I just want an accurate representation of time in a digital form. The resistance to this is insane. Nobody will believe me, but I bought the Apple Watch primarily as a watch. There doesn't need to be a professional application for wanting to see seconds. It's not like I'm asking for nanoseconds. Extend your logic, why bother with minutes? They only clutter the display. Why bother with the time at all? More room to see lunar phases or stocks or how many calories you've failed to burn. It's a watch! I wear it to see the time. I don't think you have to be anal, OCD or Stephen Hawking to feel the need to divide a minute. Digitally.

Hey man I'm not blaming you for wanting it for the heck of it. I'm pretty sure we established the reason :)

What I don't appreciate is that guy's snobby comments.

I think you forgot that this is a discussion forum. The entire thread could have ended with one response "that's unfortunate, maybe in an update later they will add seconds". Where is the fun in that?

Last edited by a moderator:

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Another thought on a workaround is to start the Stopwatch at exactly the top of the hour so that the minutes displayed coincide with realtime.

Obviously this isn't perfect, since you have the distracting 1/100ths blurring by, not to mention the fact that the modular face insists on showing the stopwatch numbers in white, regardless of whatever quieter color you have the rest of the face set to.

This is based on a trick I used to use on my old Casio to get it to continuously display the time to the 1/100th of a second - - in that case, the stopwatch rolls back over to zero at 59 minutes 59 seconds - - but I'm not certain if the Apple Watch does so at 59 or 99 minutes.

Edit:

I've had my stopwatch running in the center complication since my post, and I now see that it jumps to displaying hours also after 59 minutes - - so this workaround would require you to start the stopwatch at exactly midnight - - and even then may not work depending on how high the hours count in the stopwatch function. I'm going to leave mine running to see where it rolls over.

It's now been 31 hours since my post above, and the Apple Watch stopwatch does not roll over at 23h, 59m, 59s - - so I'm guessing it does so at 99 hours.

I remembered more exactly how I used to do it on my old Casio. That Casio had a main 6 digit display with an additional 2 digit display beneath (which in the case of the stopwatch would show the 1/10ths and 1/100ths of seconds). You could choose to permanently display the stopwatch readout as the primary screen. I would start the stopwatch at exactly midnight and then it would continuously display the current time to the 1/100th of a second. I could also do split times on the stopwatch without interrupting the time, if I wanted to record the exact time an event occurred.

In conclusion, this workaround is a failure on the Apple Watch.

It seems that Jonny Ive thought of everything to prevent this taboo function. ;)

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
If you're a medical professional, you should know better than to make assumptions, something you told people "not in the field" to stop doing. In fact, I'm a physician, and I know what an apical pulse is. The point is that one can readily count cardiac pulsations or peripheral pulse waves using an analog second hand for whatever time span is appropriate - it's what we used to do before the advent of digital watches. However, if you care to reread my post, you'll see that I also wrote that Apple should provide a digital seconds option for those who want it.

How do you do it with a sweeping hand on the apple watch?

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Of course. The point is the digital format isn't absolutely required for counting cardiac pulsations or peripheral pulse waves like a couple of members suggested.

I've spent a majority of my time in the last 5 years in various hospitals in the UK as a patient, not one of the hundreds of Nurses I've seen has used a digital watch when checking pulse. They've all used analog ones. Just thought I'd share that fact for the thread....

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
It's now been 31 hours since my post above, and the Apple Watch stopwatch does not roll over at 23h, 59m, 59s - - so I'm guessing it does so at 99 hours.
It does. This has been my work-around for a while now. Although I can't remember if it stops or loops back around to 0. In fact, I may have never seen it to the end. I usually end up resetting mine around 8x hours or so.

In fact, I'm a physician, and I know what an apical pulse is. The point is that one can readily count cardiac pulsations or peripheral pulse waves using an analog second hand for whatever time span is appropriate - it's what we used to do before the advent of digital watches. However, if you care to reread my post, you'll see that I also wrote that Apple should provide a digital seconds option for those who want it.

And I'm Britney Spears.

Your verbiage dictates otherwise. Even if you are a physician, frankly, I don't care. The point is that you're arguing why others don't need a feature, regardless if you also wrote the statement above.

...not one of the hundreds of Nurses I've seen has used a digital watch when checking pulse.
Lol, it's time for me to log out. What do people get from pulling random, false claims directly out of their ass hole? Sure, I can't disprove something you say you've experienced, but the likelihood of this situation is so exceptionally minute. You must have known from your very first assessment that you were going to have this conversation and made a point to notate the wristwatch of every clinician that's ever cared for you to ensure accuracy of your claim.

Oh, Internet...

Last edited:
Reactions: bobob

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
And you wanted to purchase an Apple Watch just for the heck of it.

I didn't spend $600.00 "for the heck of it". I knew EXACTLY what the Apple watch did and how I'd use it and that is why I bought one. OP wants seconds on a digital watch face for no apparent reason other than "because".

Quit while you're behind.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
I didn't spend $600.00 "for the heck of it". I knew EXACTLY what the Apple watch did and how I'd use it and that is why I bought one. OP wants seconds on a digital watch face for no apparent reason other than "because".

Quit while you're behind.
There were a few people who really needed seconds because of buses and trains that run on precise schedules. If they are a block away and the train leaves at 1:13pm and the watch says 1:12:05 they know they have time.

At least that is what they said. Personally, I have no use for seconds though I understand. probably considered a very low priority for Apple but also a very easy addition.

Reactions: bobob

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
OP wants seconds on a digital watch face for no apparent reason other than "because".
Not only does the OP not need to provide an 'apparent reason' for his wants, but he can certainly want digital seconds 'just because'. People in this thread are mind-blowing me tonight and it's not enjoyable; it's annoying, in fact. If I, or anyone else, for that matter, state a want or a need, not a single person is entitled to justification.

And 'quit while you're ahead' is actually the correct reference given your context.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Not only does the OP not need to provide an 'apparent reason' for his wants, but he can certainly want digital seconds 'just because'. People in this thread are mind-blowing me tonight and it's not enjoyable; it's annoying, in fact. If I, or anyone else, for that matter, state a want or a need, not a single person is entitled to justification.

And 'quit while you're ahead' is actually the correct reference given your context.

If you say so. Im still waiting for a threadlock for the bickering.

Reactions: shandyman

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
There were a few people who really needed seconds because of buses and trains that run on precise schedules. If they are a block away and the train leaves at 1:13pm and the watch says 1:12:05 they know they have time.

At least that is what they said. Personally, I have no use for seconds though I understand. probably considered a very low priority for Apple but also a very easy addition.

I work for a software company. If I go to our product team with a feature request they are going to ask me what benefit it provides our users, what the use cases may be and how many users have been asking for that feature. Then the team has to get approval for resources to assign to that task.

Our Corporate customers are treated differently because they sponsor the cost of development and usually get what they want. It could be a dancing bear on the main screen and we'd do it.

Reactions: shandyman

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
What I don't appreciate is that guy's snobby comments.

I saw many more snobby comments from people opposing for no good reason.

I for one would like to seconds on the digital watch face, like any other digital watch I have ever owned (some were configurable).
I have no specific reason and may want it just for the heck of it.

Maybe just something as simple for a countdown on new years eve. I have learned that I have other options:
- count 50 blinks from the last time a minute changed
- of course I can use a stopwatch starting a minute prior and wait it hits 50 seconds
- I can set a timer a minute prior for a 60 seconds count down
Maybe someone could demonstrate how they really actually would hit it exactly

- I can use a analog face (that would work reliable)

But to see it on a glance on a digital watch face seems to be irrational, OCD or worse assessments.

Why couldn't we just be open and allow it. I would like to see that we can turn seconds on or off on the digital watch face. Those that like analog are not bothered by it and actually already have that option.

On a last note:
I use different watch faces: Analog and digital. That's the beauty of the watch. I use the digital face for two reasons: It has the most information and it's the best to read in bright day light.

Reactions: bobob and CarlJ

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
Every watch manufacturer that's ever included a seconds display. They're all idiots clearly. The time? On a watch? Pah.

I want to say this thread made me lose faith in this forum, but frankly I'm not even surprised at this point.

Reactions: thirdeyeopen666

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan

I'm one of those guys - damn Japanese trains and their timetables.

I use an analog face now, for this reason alone. But I can't stand it.

Reactions: CarlJ

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Lol, it's time for me to log out. What do people get from pulling random, false claims directly out of their ass hole? Sure, I can't disprove something you say you've experienced, but the likelihood of this situation is so exceptionally minute. You must have known from your very first assessment that you were going to have this conversation and made a point to notate the wristwatch of every clinician that's ever cared for you to ensure accuracy of your claim.

Oh, Internet...

You're calling me a liar? You're saying I'm making up my numerous and lengthy hospital trips for tumour removal, colectomy, etc? I'm an observant person, I notice things. So what?

9d147c6fdc5e3afa4b5f7fffc783c14a.jpg
you think I'm making up this 5Kg desmoid tumour?

Maybe you should get off the internet.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
...not one of the hundreds of Nurses I've seen has used a digital watch when checking pulse. They've all used analog ones.
I've spent a majority of my time in the last 5 years in various hospitals in the UK as a patient, not one of the hundreds of Nurses I've seen has used a digital watch when checking pulse. They've all used analog ones. Just thought I'd share that fact for the thread....

Oh, Internet...
You're calling me a liar? You're saying I'm making up my numerous and lengthy hospital trips for tumour removal, colectomy, etc? I'm an observant person, I notice things. So what?

9d147c6fdc5e3afa4b5f7fffc783c14a.jpg
you think I'm making up this 5Kg desmoid tumour?

Maybe you should get off the internet.
The lengths some people will go to try to win a trivial argument! :rolleyes:

Seriously, playing the sympathy card to support your previous unbelievable statement. I might have believed you if you had claimed that the majority of nurses did not use digital watches, but "not one" of the "hundreds" of nurses?!?

I call BS - - iBreatheApple's assessment above is accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.