Still no easy access to Wifi, etc.? I don't understand...

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by iBreatheApple, Sep 2, 2012.

1. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

You know there's always features that people want that aren't implemented, that's just how it is. "Why can't iOS do this?" and "Why aren't we able to customize that?"... but what in the world is Apple's reason for wanting to keep wifi and bluetooth and such tucked away? I just don't get it. I try to justify that going into settings isn't that much of a hassle but it would be so much better if we had some kind of quick access. Weather it be scrolling left in the application switcher, notification center, etc.

Surely I can't be the only one who wonders why?

2. RaidersFan223 macrumors member

RaidersFan223

3. Ed91 macrumors 6502

Nor me. There are two reasons I jailbreak - NCSettings and infinifolders - both beautiful solutions, but it looks like apple won't address either issue in iOS 6.

Frustratingly, my bedroom is on the very fringe of WiFi access at my house, and I frequently have to switch it on/off to regain my signal. NCSettings in a blessing.

4. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

One of the reasons I probably won't upgrade to iOS 6 until it's jailbroken.

5. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

I understand why it is not in the Notification Center, because it is for notifications. Enabling Wi-Fi is not considered a notification and having a toggle for it in the notification Center is inaccurate from a UI standpoint.

However I do agree that there needs to be some easy way of toggling it on and off.

6. SyKot macrumors newbie

Change the name then, from Notification Panel to Quick Panel.

7. Zcott macrumors 68020

I know, right? I have to use TWO taps to get to the wifi toggle! Geez! That's a large chunk out of my day. And I'm always places where wifi needs to be turned off because I'm just out of range and iOS 6’s new 'use cellular when wifi not available' feature just isn't good enough! On my home screen I want toggles for wifi, Bluetooth, Personal Hotspot, Do Not Disturb, Ringtone, Accessibility, mail signatures and a hard reset button. Who cares that I can't see the apps?

8. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

So, Aple has to change the design because you're too cheap to buy an AirPort to extend your crappy WiFi?

That's why it is where it is....

A more logical request would allow users to pick 2-4 functions that they could replicate as an "app" so it could be right on the home screen. That way you could have the wifi button and I coul clear history quickly so no one sees whT website I was just on...:eek:

9. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

This is my theory.

In an ideal world, Apple wouldn't have settings for such tasks.

They don't want people thinking about turning WiFi, 3G... etc on or off to manage battery or other things.

Ideally the software would manage these in a more effective way.

For example, when away from Wifi it puts any Wifi hardware into a low power 'sleep' state.

I think by making these settings much more visable, it opens them up to be 'played' with more often by more people, when in actual fact Apple doesn't want people worrying about such things.

I think the new "Use 3G when WiFi is weak" setting is a good indicator of this.

Maybe i'm conmpletely wrong, and in IOS7 we'll see toggles... but it's just my theory.

10. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I have to agree with you - I never bother about turning WiFi, Bluetooth, etc on and off and just leave them on all the time: Battery life is fine on my iPhone without having to worry about tweaking things on and off.

However, one thing that doesn't make sense to me is the volume slider on the multi-tasking bar. I can see from a UI perspective that it makes sense to have it next to the Airplay button, but from a usability perspective it's a bit strange that it's there when there are physical volume buttons on the device: It would make much more sense to me for it to be a brightness control.

The iPad has both, so the code appears to be there in iOS to have a brightness slider in the multi-tasking bar...

11. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I agree, I would find a brightness slider much more useful in the multitasking bar.

Hopefully Apple agrees with us and this gets quietly changed down the road.

12. Ed91 macrumors 6502

So, Apple should change design because you don't want people to know you've been watching beastiality? Oh look, I can sound like an ******* by making an uninformed but oh-so-snarky personal comment, too.

No, Apple should change the design to make settings easier to toggle. Your solution fails the usability test, because you have to exit the app and go back to the home screen and find the icon, wherever you put it, crowded amongst your apps.

In Notification Center they're always just a swipe away. There's a reason Apple put the Weather widget into NC, you know. Why couldn't Apple just give the Weather widget an icon on the home screen? Oh Yeah.

13. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Battery life on my iPhone with wifi and bluetooth turned on in everyday use is about two-thirds of it with them only enabled when required. Especially in London, when the phone spends most of the time handshaking with distant wifi spots that you can't actually use.

That's a very significant drop. The difference between a full day's use and it not lasting until I get home from work.

14. Ed91 macrumors 6502

Two things:

1) Battery life gets worse as your device ages.
    2) Sometimes you know you'll be going an extended period without charging, and need to manage your battery life if it's going to last.

You can turn on/off both the Stocks and Weather widget in NC. It would be nice to have the same option for a settings toggle widget, no? Default off. If you need/want them, add the widget and be happy.

15. FiremanMike macrumors regular

Range extenders really aren't that expensive, and they worked much better than they used to..

16. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

1) I change my phone every year, so that's not a concern for me
    2) On the rare occasions that may be the case, it's not too much hassle to go into settings and switch them off

I understand everyone's requirements aren't the same, but for me it really is a non-issue: I can think of plenty of other things I'd want in iOS before this (the brightness slider being one of them :))

17. allonym macrumors regular

I leave them both on 100% of the time. It's now after 5:30 pm, my phone shows 2 hours 31 min usage, 10 hours 30 min standby and the battery is at 66%. I'll be home in 30 minutes with >60% battery left. YMMV, obviously, but I'm guessing that for many, as for me, it just isn't an issue.

18. rikscha macrumors 6502a

Siri: Turn wifi off.

Done.

This might come, who knows!

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I don't use the volume slider in the multi-tasking bar either. However, I also wouldn't use a brightness slider as the iOS 6 does a wonderful job of managing that.

20. Ed91, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012

Ed91 macrumors 6502

A range extender may solve that particular problem, but that's not the only thing I use NCSettings for; it was just the example I used. I also use it to turn the camera flash on and off (for quick use as a torch), to adjust the screen brightness (another thing people here are asking for), to turn on/off 3G when I need to preserve battery at all costs, or to quickly turn on Private Browsing in Safari when I'm looking for an anniversary gift.

This may not be an issue for you, but I hope you can see how it would be an issue for others. Going through settings gets tiresome fast.

For those of you that haven't seen NCSettings, here's a video of the original version. It really is a neat solution - brightness slider and all.

21. iregret macrumors 6502

I never understood why the phone isn't go into edge mode when on stand by. That would save battery life as well.

22. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Okay..wait...stop everything Apple...we have a user here that wants you to redesign the entire UI because he doesn't have AirPort AND he needs a night light when getting up to go to the bathroom at night.:rolleyes:

Did it ever occur to you that out of the tens of millions of users, the majority will never use their flash as a light or constantly be turning their wifi on and off?

How's that for snarky?

23. Ed91 macrumors 6502

Redesign the entire UI? I think you have some real comprehension issues. I'm asking for an optional widget to toggle settings. Seriously, your comments aren't worth the bandwidth.

24. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I don't see how hard it would be for apple to create a widget based system that just span's two 'squares' where icons would be, with some control element inside it... but that's just me??

or even have another 'left' screen where the spotlight page is with some widgets on??

25. danielceleste macrumors regular

It's on the iPad, I really don't understand why they don't add it on the iPhone. It would seem much more useful there.