Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
There are a lot of things that Apple does that I don't understand but that's why I jailbreak. You can have toggles on your home screen or in the Notification Center. And for those who want a brightness slider you can also replace the volume with that if you jailbreak.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Maybe because 99.9999% of the iPhone user base never mess with the settings to being with?
Apple doesn't design products for the niche 0.0001% "nerd" user base.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
swipe left (instead of it being search) would be good too. i never use the search function.

or as someone said above, rebrand Notification Center as Mission Control and stick it there like NC does.

why would i care for a toggle? just convenience. why navigate to settings --> wifi --> swipe off when one can just pull down and tap off

i also use NC for brightness control...so much easier and convenient

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012
Maybe because 99.9999% of the iPhone user base never mess with the settings to being with?
Apple doesn't design products for the niche 0.0001% "nerd" user base.

Are you saying the iphone userbase is made from mindless drones that can't figure how to use "settings", or aren't curious enough to?

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Personally, I rarely touch my WiFi setting. Perhaps once a month. I think the average user is the same. So I honestly don't think there's a big demand.

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
sometimes i see weird suggestions on these forum, im glad that apple don't implement every one of them.

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
I know, right? I have to use TWO taps to get to the wifi toggle! Geez! That's a large chunk out of my day. And I'm always places where wifi needs to be turned off because I'm just out of range and iOS 6’s new 'use cellular when wifi not available' feature just isn't good enough! On my home screen I want toggles for wifi, Bluetooth, Personal Hotspot, Do Not Disturb, Ringtone, Accessibility, mail signatures and a hard reset button. Who cares that I can't see the apps?
Here's a scenario for you.

You pull out your iPhone, let's say at a mall where there is free WiFi. WiFi is "connected". You launch Yelp to look up a restaurant to eat lunch at. It's not loading anything because the WiFi signal is too weak to transmit data yet the phone is still hanging onto it for dear life, or the network is so congested that it's super slow.

Apple's current way:
-Close Yelp
-Open Settings (this requires you to navigate to the page and/or folder where you have Settings, or swipe to try to find it in app switcher)
-Tap on the WiFi settings (this assumes your settings app is freshly launched and therefore is at the top of the first screen, other wise you have to drill through menus and scroll to get to it)
-Toggle WiFi off
-Close Settings
-Re-launch Yelp (same problem as above in launching Settings, although it should be more readily available in app switcher)
-Re-do your search

Compared to with a notification center toggle:
-Swipe down notification center
-Tap the Wifi toggle
-Swipe up notification center
-Re-do your search.

In the second case, everything has a fixed place. You get to notification center the same way from any screen. The WiFi toggle will always be in the same place. There is no guess work, no visual search needed. You're back up and resuming your task in no more than 2 seconds.

And Apple's "WiFi + Cellular" option in iOS 6 appears to be limited in what apps and/or tasks can use cellular when WiFi isn't working.

I normally leave everything on, but I've had many scenarios where the WiFi wasn't working and had to manually toggle it off to use cellular. Maybe that hasn't happened to you, but no sense in being facetious about it. God forbid that Apple's intended way of doing something doesn't work (cue the people telling me to go Android).

If Apple doesn't want to add a toggle, then I would be just as happy if the OS was smart enough to do it by itself when it detects the ping/timeout when trying to use WiFi is abnormally high.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

You pull out your iPhone, let's say at a mall where there is free WiFi. WiFi is "connected". You launch Yelp to look up a restaurant to eat lunch at. It's not loading anything because the WiFi signal is too weak to transmit data yet the phone is still hanging onto it for dear life, or the network is so congested that it's super slow.

And exactly how often does that far-fetched situation happen to you? I can tell you it does happen to me....about once every other month. Not exactly usage that requires a shortcut.

Not saying it wouldn't be helpful, but there are far more useful things Apple should be worried about implementing first.

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
And exactly how often does that far-fetched situation happen to you? I can tell you it does happen to me....about once every other month. Not exactly usage that requires a shortcut.

Not saying it wouldn't be helpful, but there are far more useful things Apple should be worried about implementing first.

All the time. I used the mall example to be more relatable. For me, I have WiFi on campus (small grad school). It hangs on to the WiFi signal when outdoors or in certain parts of buildings, but it's not strong enough to transmit data.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
All the time. I used the mall example to be more relatable. For me, I have WiFi on campus (small grad school). It hangs on to the WiFi signal when outdoors or in certain parts of buildings, but it's not strong enough to transmit data.

I think there is a new feature coming to fix that BTW.

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007

Another situation:

Your device automatically connects to an "open" WiFi access point at an airport/mall/hotel that requires you to sign up/pay before you can access the internet. You can no longer access any other website than the sign-up page.

I know that you can choose for the phone to "ask to join networks" but the default is for that to be off.

Another situation:

You work in a place that has web restrictions. You need/want to check a site on the blacklist.

A quick toggle would be nice.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Yep, have run into all of those....about once every other month.

Like I said earlier, I've read a feature is coming that will get past all that.

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
I think there is a new feature coming to fix that BTW.

I haven't found a thread reviewing how (well) it works. Perhaps since it's still in beta and under NDA. There's also those mystery toggles below the "Wi-Fi Plus Cellular" toggle that are unclear as to what they are for. Do only those things have access to Wi-Fi Plus Cellular? Or are those global options to prevent those things from eating up cellular data? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

But to all those people condemning us for wanting a Wi-Fi toggle and downplaying this to be such a far-fetched situation that no one encounters, Apple found it to be a big enough issue to create this feature. Yes, it's not a toggle switch, but if this actually works then it would eliminate the need for a Wi-Fi toggle for most situations.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

More useful things Apple should be worried about? This already exists as a jailbreak tweak in many forms which proves its not hard to implement. It's not like Apple has one person working on this anyway. And for those who don't want it you can just hide the toggle. Options people.. It doesn't hurt to have more options

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

Apple's current way:
-Close Yelp
-Open Settings (this requires you to navigate to the page and/or folder where you have Settings, or swipe to try to find it in app switcher)
-Tap on the WiFi settings (this assumes your settings app is freshly launched and therefore is at the top of the first screen, other wise you have to drill through menus and scroll to get to it)
-Toggle WiFi off
-Close Settings
-Re-launch Yelp (same problem as above in launching Settings, although it should be more readily available in app switcher)
-Re-do your search

I just timed myself doing exactly these steps. It took me 9 seconds. Writing out every step to make it seem like a long, involved process is quite misleading.

Oh and you don't have to redo your search on Yelp since it reopens exactly where you were.

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012
I just timed myself doing exactly these steps. It took me 9 seconds. Writing out every step to make it seem like a long, involved process is quite misleading.

Ok, so why is 9 seconds acceptable again?

There is a hardware button to make your phone go to vibrate mode. Surely it would also only take 9 seconds as well if it was in a menu, but Apple decided you needed instant access.

I rarely use the silent/vibrate button so it's useless, right?

You really can't see how it would be convenient to have to wifi on/off in the notification center if you personally won't be using it?

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

It happens to me literally every hour of every day.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Ok, so why is 9 seconds acceptable again?

There is a hardware button to make your phone go to vibrate mode. Surely it would also only take 9 seconds as well if it was in a menu, but Apple decided you needed instant access.

I rarely use the silent/vibrate button so it's useless, right?

You really can't see how it would be convenient to have to wifi on/off in the notification center if you personally won't be using it?

I *do* think it would be convenient.

In fact here's a post I made last year:
I've wanted this since they first announced the Notification Center. Plus, quick-acess settings to toggle Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/13827425/

I just don't think it's that huge of a deal is all. It'll be great if they add it but if they don't I won't really even think about it.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Sounds like you just need to turn off WiFi and leave it off then.

So I should turn it off and use 3G in my house, where it's slower and I'd be unable to access apps, while burning through the limited data tariffs that are all that exist in the UK. Super.

How I wish the vote down button still existed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.