Still no quick reply in iOS 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MultiMediaWill, Jun 7, 2011.

1. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Am I missing something or is there still no quick reply like biteSMS in iOS 5?

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

3. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

This is only a beta and Apple has been known to add features before a final release. However, I think it's safe to say there probably won't be a QR feature in 5.0.

4. jmack549 macrumors 6502

5. Black107 macrumors regular

I've been wondering the same thing. They've already knocked out one of my jailbreak needs (LockInfo), now if only they could do a quick reply like BiteSMS, I might be able to live without it.

6. Pomeless macrumors regular

I wasn't quite sure what you meant by quick reply since I had not heard of it before but after a little google action... I think that it seems like a function that should already be there. Reply without the full blow interruption? Makes sense to me.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sadly, you are correct, there is no quick reply.

8. transam7816 macrumors regular

I'm sure there will be quick reply. The dev that made the jailbreak app MobileNotifier (Peter Hajas) is the same one that Apple hired to implement the same function into iOS 5. The notifications look the same. The jailbreak version has the quick reply option when you tap on the text message bar up top. So I would say there's an 80% chance of QR being introduced from now until iOS 5 is released.

http://www.peterhajas.com/blog/2011/5/29/mobilenotifier-beta5-ecstatic-eggo.html

Check that out

9. MultiMediaWill thread starter macrumors 68000

what is apple thinking? Quick reply is the main reason why i jailbreak.

10. dragon13 macrumors member

dragon13

^^ I agree with that. If they just added QR and something like sbsetting to quick toggle stuff- iOS 5 would be perfect.

Overall though, the updates are pretty sweet. But hopefully they'll add some things before the final release

11. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

They'll probably add it to iOS 5 but make it an iPhone 5 only feature "because it requires more system resources" :p

12. andrewsd macrumors 6502

iOS 5 quick reply/

So there is no quick reply or quick compose like bite SMS is there? If so that is lame I mean really? I think it is amazingly pathetic that you have to actually go to the message app on the iphone!

I guess i'll continue to JailBreak!!

13. MultiMediaWill thread starter macrumors 68000

14. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

It's in BETA. Again, it's in BETA. If you don't want to use BETA software don't download it.

15. shandyman Suspended

so iOS5 is lame because it doesn't have 1 tiny feature you wanted? :rolleyes:

16. james948 macrumors 6502

it's a HUGE feature.

17. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

In a word? Yes. While the notifications have taken a step in the right direction, it's downright pathetic that Apple STILL refuses to include a quick reply option for SMS. Why? What's the point? And I don't understand how, even with the new notifications popping up at the top of the screen and being "less intrusive", it's not STILL intrusive that you have to stop what you're doing and go to the messages app to be able to respond to to a text.

I'm with the OP...looks like I'll be sticking with my trusty biteSMS and continue jailbreaking.

One glimmer of hope is that this is just the first beta. It's possible that with feedback from the developers, Apple will include a quick reply option in the final release.

*edit* BTW, while we're at it, how about including a call-blocking app similar to iBlacklist while they're at it? It's simply ridiculous that, in mid-2011, the iPhone isn't able to do what phones of 5-6-7 years ago were able to do without jailbreaking.

18. nfl46 macrumors 603

I am to disappointed; however, iOS 5 isn't finished yet. Who knows, we may get it in a 5.1, etc. update. I'm sure its on Apple's To Do List. I'm sure we aren't the only ways who hate leaving the application to text.

19. shandyman Suspended

with the notification tray it's dead quick to get straight into the text you want to reply to and reply, then double tap home button to go back to where you were, so really its not that big an issue. it's not a huge thing and calling it pathetic is downright daft, you need a reality check if this is really THAT much of a problem!! lol

there is so much good stuff with iOS5 that really, it's not worth the hassle of jailbreaking.

as for iBlacklist, i'm sure i read there's actually a legal reason why it cannot be done, read it a while back.

20. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

You guys do know you can swipe the text notification and go straight to the conversation, right?

21. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Quit complaining and continue jailbreaking. That's what I'm doing.

22. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i think everyone understands that. but the whole point of QR is to not leave the current app.

23. PaintTheSkyGrey macrumors newbie

This. If I'm in the middle of something (watching a movie, web browsing, playing a game), I'd rather not have to switch to another app to reply and then switch back. I'd prefer to be able to just reply right then and there and carry on with my business. Yes, it is only a matter of a few seconds... But Apple's whole design is based on user-friendliness, intuitiveness, and sleek functionality. Having to exit one app to go into another and then switch back is none of the above.

I'm just hoping that BiteSMS won't take long to adapt to the new notification system if Apple doesn't include QR at some point in the beta process.

24. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Well, that's good to know about the notification tray and it being quick. My point, however, is that it's ridiculous that the user should have to go to the messages app at all to send a response. I rarely, if ever, open my stock messages app (or even the biteSMS app), since I can quick compose and quick reply right from the lockscreen (and quick reply from anywhere).

I don't think it's worth getting personal and saying I need a reality check, though. If texting isn't on your priority list, that's your thing. I send upwards of 10,000 texts per month, and having to go into the messages app on every one would be / is a complete waste of time.

And, while having a call-blocking app might be illegal in the UK (I have no clue), I can assure you it isn't here in the US. My Motorola RAZR from 4 or 5 years ago had this function and other smart phones today have it built in. There's just no excuse for why I should have to even acknowledge a call from someone I don't want to take a call from, telemarketer or otherwise. And there shouldn't be any action on my part to dismiss their call. With iBlacklist, I just set it to "Address Book Only" and I never know when I've blocked one of those annoying calls.

25. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

If any of you tried the latest version of MibileNotifier (Linked in previous post) there is a very functional quick reply function and as many of you know Apple just hired the author of that app to work on ios5 notification system. My bet is that there will be a quick reply coming very very soon. They are probably just working on the cosmetics of it because Pete's is pretty ugly.