Still No Removable Battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bryanc28, Jun 6, 2009.

1. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

C'mon Apple...it's 2009. I absolutely LOVE your phone, but give us the option to swap batteries! I thought I read somewhere that European carriers are pushing Apple to make the iPhone have user replaceable batteries. Sorry for the rant, it's just that this is the only thing I hate about my phone.:confused:

2. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Dude if you are looking for a removable battery in an Apple device, you need to look elsewhere. This is something that won't happen.

3. Merkie macrumors 68020

Also, why? I've never had a cell phone battery permanently die on me for the last 5+ years.

4. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

Why would someone with a cell phone need a removable battery?

I don't understand that. Plug it in to the AC adapter. It charges. Plug it into the computer. It charges. Plug it into a cigarette lighter adapter. It charges.

Is there some reason people CAN'T charge their phone?

5. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

totally understand! i think from apples prospective it makes sense to do the removable batter too, they could sell the batteries at a premium! as they do with everything else:p dont get me wrong though i love apple prices and would pay more for every apple product ive ever bought

6. bjquach macrumors 6502

I think it arises from the fact that some people want to keep a spare battery around just in case there is no place to charge the phone at that time. Like in class or a meeting.

7. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

There is no need for a removable battery, that is what chargers are for. They charge the battery, so you don't have to swap out batteries.

8. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Exactly. Who actually uses removable batteries anymore?

9. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

what if you are in a conference or something and you are using your iphone and your battery dies but you still need to use it during and after the conference ?

10. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

What about when you're away from a power supply all day? It wouldn't matter if the iPhone could survive 24 hours without flattening the battery but it can't (at least not for me)

11. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Turn your iphone off before said conference or meeting to conserve battery. If your battery does die and you can't charge it, it's not the end of the world people. Geesh it's a damn phone.

12. fratboy macrumors regular

they have portable chargers that are small and last up to 3 times longer

there is NO need for a removable battery... it would make the iphone look ugly

13. Merkie macrumors 68020

Then buy one of those external power supplies which can charge your battery.

14. bjquach macrumors 6502

Apple may not like a lot of moving or removable parts. I have a feeling this is some sort of unibody design to it.

15. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

is the bold ugly?
    i dont think so, and im pretty sure apple could come up with a way to make the whole back remove without making it ugly
    [​IMG]

16. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

Are you really ever TOTALLY away from an electric outlet ALL day? Away from a computer ALL day? Away from a car charger ALL day?

Typically when I am going to be in such an all day event - I make sure I plug my phone in and charge it - right up until I leave.

17. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

i cant charge my phone during school, if i am listening to music and using wifi i can go through the battery in about 6 hours, not enough time for the whole school day

18. fratboy macrumors regular

yes that is pretty d@mn fugly

19. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

if youre so concerned about being able to swap batteries on the fly in order to make the phone last longer, why not just get an external battery? they have some that are smaller than a removable battery would be, and you can just plug it in to charge up for an hour or so, then remove it again

20. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

It's all about trade-offs with the battery situation. Apple chose to have the battery inaccessible because to make the battery accessible means you must constrain it into a small block which can be swapped by the user, this would complicate the iPhone's internal design and likely add to the size and weight to accommodate the extra casing around the swappable battery and the interface to exchange the battery (such as a lever or sliding case).

While it would make it easier to swap the battery, it would be at the expense of usability for something that only a small minority of users want.

I think they made the right choice. Most users do not need a swappable battery, especially with the downsides it would cause.

Get an iPhone and buy a $50 external battery if you really need the extra battery during the day.

21. prnsr82 macrumors member

Problem Solved

Its really not that big of a deal...

[​IMG]

22. bjquach macrumors 6502

I like the fact that I do not have to worry about replacing battery covers if lost, buying new batteries, the whole phone and all coming apart if dropped, and "creaky" covers.

23. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Exactly. Why muddle with the design of something that's already great, just to get a "feature" that few would want or ever use? It's not worth it, and looks bad too.

24. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

I believe the pressure from Europe is from the EU; a non-removable battery makes recycling really really difficult since the batteries generally have to go to a different place.

I couldn't tell you my source for that assertion though, it just seems to be something that has lodged into my brain from somewhere.

25. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

oh, i didnt know a removable battery took up more space than a non-removable one... oh thats right! it doesnt! the external battery packs are huge and ugly! they take away from the design and form factor.