Still no reviews!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by normandy7, Apr 8, 2015.

1. normandy7 macrumors member

Less than 48 hours till release and still no reviews!:eek:

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Yeah, hopefully soon. Apple Watch reviews just came out, so maybe we'll get some for the MacBook soon.

3. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Yeah, worried about that one. We don't need a million watch reviews. someone get that laptop and review it.

4. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

It's safe to say Apple has put so much hope and resources into this watch, the rMB will get its spotlight only on the 10th.

5. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

So the AppleWatch reviews are out over two weeks ahead of its release but still no MacBook reviews two days before its release? Im thinking Apple is scared of people seeing the benchmarks, laughing and passing on buying one.

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

A more likely scenario is that very few places have had a review unit sent to them, if any at all. Can't remember where, but I did read an article talking about the new MacBook and they said they hadn't been sent a review unit.

7. newellj macrumors 603

I really can't imagine that this is what's going on, but it does seem a little odd.

8. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Apple not sending out review units for a brand new product is unheard of. Reviewers had the new MBA and MBP units early for reviews and those were just updates. Something aint right. Apple must not want people to see any bad reviews on it before they drop that $1300-$1800

9. The Reason macrumors member

I work for a major University in the US, and deal with Apple in the EDU purchasing side. I cannot post the contents of the emails I have received directly from our reps, but suffice to say we have never seen warnings this far in advance about constraint at a launch like we have with the rMB. Not even with the iPad launches did they prepare us this far in advance that supplies will be extremely limited. Matter of fact, Apple Campus stores are being told not to place stock orders (only orders for which they have collected money for), and Schools are being told to only place orders for eval units.

I say all of this because I'm not sure there are any review units out there.

We have been told to expect lead times in weeks, not days.

10. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

The iWatch is clearly a much larger product launch and will easily get more attention than a MacBook. MacBook laptops have been around for years. The iWatch is new - very new. I'm not surprised there aren't reviews for the rMB yet.

There isn't much you can really say about it besides the new keyboard and how thin it is. The operating system is the same as all current MacBooks and overall it's just a new MBA size with a better screen.

11. Geert76 macrumors 65816

....must not want people to see any bad reviews

The only, and one and only, review that really matters (to me) is MY own review. And that review can take up to 14 days. ;):D

12. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Many people are wondering about performance...something reviews will be very telling about.

13. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Doesn't matter. This isn't just a MBP or MBA update, its a brand new product.

14. noobinator macrumors 601

15. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Sounds good to me!

16. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

You really think Apple couldn't afford to get a review unit to at least a couple tech sites? Please :rolleyes: How about all the units they had sitting there for hands on demos a month ago? They all just disappeared?

17. whatever77 macrumors newbie

I think that if they turned every stone at Apple Campus they would be able to find 3-5 rMBs to send out for review....the issue is not availability obviously for such a small number, but rather when they are allowed to publish the review

18. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

19. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Apple wants people to focus on the watch and not the entry level $1300 dollar item.

20. newellj macrumors 603

Don't take this personally, but that's just plain dumb. Spin it out a bit: there's no way you won't see reviews within the next few days - Friday at the latest. Suppose that thousands of people stampede Apple stores and buy these things, then get them home and find out that their new $1300 machine won't even browse in internet to read all the horrible reviews. What happens next? Easy, returns by the truckload - which costs a manufacturer a TON.

I share your puzzlement but I'm not buying any wild conspiracy theories.

21. aristobrat macrumors G5

Hmmm, the last two "brand new" laptops were the retina MacBook Pros -- 13" and 15", no?

Both were announced by Apple and available for sale on the same day. Googling for reviews, the reviews start being posted a few days after they were available for sale. Doesn't look like review units were sent out in advance.

The last "brand new" notebook I can remember having reviews units sent out in advance was the original Air, back in 2008.

22. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

This is plain wrong. I'm not aware of Apple sending out review units for any Mac ever, with one exception: the Mac Pro. This is very typical. Reviews will be posted on Friday when the product is released, just like every other Macbook.

23. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Those aren't NEW products. They are minimal updates to an existing product. The 12 inch retina MacBook is a brand NEW product.

24. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

Retina display was a minimal update? I mean it was significant enough that they changed the whole name of the product.

25. newellj macrumors 603

We can debate or argue...it's not going to change things... :eek: