Still on 3.1.3, is it time to upgrade to 4.3.x?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mstrkrft82, May 1, 2011.

1. mstrkrft82 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have an ipod touch 3g 64gb and it's still running ios 3.1.3. If I upgrade to 4.3.x, will I notice a difference in battery life? I don't want to upgrade only to see my battery life go down.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I imagine it should be roughly the same. 4.3 would be well worth the upgrade though. It adds a good bit of functionality, plus some apps don't support less than 4.x

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

dude, you're missing out on a lot of great features. upgrade ASAP.

4. jmthigpen macrumors regular

upgrade, it will be like getting a new iPod!

5. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

We're almost on OS 5! The hell you doing on 3.1.3??:rolleyes:

7. donlab macrumors 6502

donlab

Wrong thread to ask this question.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I half expected to open this thread to see the OP asking "I have a 1st Gen iPod Touch, should I upgrade from 3.1.3 to 4.3.x"?...:p

9. AdrianK macrumors 68020

For some reason, that was read out in Chris Tucker's voice in my head o_O

10. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

It DOES beg the question -- WHY are you still on 3.x.x?????

11. mstrkrft82 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was reluctant to upgrade to 4.0 when it first came out because of reports of poor battery performance.

12. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

I heard 4.3.2 can extend the battery life, but I feel nothing about it. I still think 4.2 is enough to me.

13. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Methinks this is a place to make a good point -- don't believe everything you read: on my 3rd gen Touch my battery life actually got better with 4.0.

On the Touch 4g, I have noticed minor differences in battery life with further updates, but nothing earth shaking.

14. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Same here :p

But to the OP: yes, it will be great! you will get multitasking, folders, wallpapers, iTunes home sharing, wireless keyboard support.... so many new features!

15. kfury77 macrumors regular

kfury77

4.3.3 is out now :) UPGRADE!

16. iKoopa macrumors member

iKoopa

Well alot of the improved battery performance can be placebo. Just like the infamous "Safari seems snappier."
    Especially depending on how you use your iPod. It's all about usage. Depending if you have lots of features turned on or off, there's going to be drastic changes in results.

An iPod Touch 3G running iOS 4.3.x isn't going to run as fast as, OR have as much battery life as one running 3.1.3.
    Why? Wallpaper and Multitasking will make loading apps run a hair slower, and of course drain more juice, but it should be very minimal power.
    Here's the thing you have to really look at though.
    Though apps will launch slightly slower, they will stay frozen in memory where they can be accessed exactly where you left it off (if they are supported). But this leads to memory loss, and having too many open will result in more decreased performance, depending on how many apps are open at the time. You can always clear them out though. Which leads to another growing issue of people complaining about having to clean out the switcher tray all the time.
    The "improved battery performance" are probably just slight increases from the horror of 4.0, which still isn't going to be as good as 3.1.3.

So it's up to you if you want to have save stated apps, and wallpaper really.
    Your battery and performance will take a small hit, but IMHO I would take the upgrade for the 3G.

17. mstrkrft82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I took the plunge a few days ago and, so far, I am pleased enough with battery performance that I will not revert back to 3.1.3 for now.

Thanks all for the advice. I do notice that my battery does drain a little quicker than 3.1.3 but it's not as bad as I had feared.

18. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I'm in the exact same situation right now, and there's no way I'm going to upgrade to 4.3.3. Stupid Comcast and MMOD wanted 4.x, so I just didn't install their crappy apps. If they can't support 3.1.3, screw them and their lazy developers.

I don't like the way multitasking is handled in 4.3.3, I like ProSwitcher and Backgrounder on 3.1.3 much better.

I'm also lazy and don't want to have to re Jailbreak and reinstall the Jailbreak apps.

19. babyconan macrumors newbie

upgrade it, many ways to extend your battery, charge it with your computer

20. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Pretty much all iPods charge off of a computer, including my ipt3G off of my Blackbook. I have no need to extend my battery life, it usually lasts for like a week as it is, and when I do have battery issues, its the screen anyways.

21. jporter67 macrumors newbie

upgrade or not to upgrade iOS

I'm in the same boat. I would however like to run some of the newer apps like RedBox. this also requires 4.x, so I'm a little annoyed. I like my current 3.1.3 with the jailbreak options running Cydia, backgrounder, and other apps, but I think I am seeing some problems in the older iOS as the upgraded apps continue to update, they may be becoming less stable, so I am sort of being forced to upgrade.

22. BiggAW, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011

BiggAW macrumors 68020

Yeah, in that case I'd guess I'd say just wait until there's an easy untethered jailbreak out for the current version, and then upgrade to that. The numeric battery and some of the other visual tweaks are what's keeping me on a jailbroken platform, otherwise I would just upgrade and not jailbreak...

EDIT: Full brightness flashlight, like on Android is HUGE. That screen is incredible at 100%!!!